The Accurate Reloading Forums
Spolar Gold is the best!

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/971103014/m/4341095542

14 September 2018, 22:22
drj
Spolar Gold is the best!
I have been loading shotshells for almost 40 years. Started with the MEC 600, worked my way up through their progressive presses, then bought 3 Ponsness Warrens (one each for 12, 20, and 28) which were workhorses but a PIA to change gauges (which is why I had three). When I got the hots to load 410 many told me that loading 410 would make you lose your religion unless you used a Spolar. Bought the Spolar Gold about three years ago. Am now only loading 28 and 410, and it is a dream. Best part about it-on the very few occasions I have needed help the folks at Spolar returned my calls promptly and talked me through everything. Best customer service from any company that I have EVER experienced. You will never regret spending the extra money for a Spolar!

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"
28 September 2018, 07:56
dukxdog
Do you have hydraulics on it?

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"
30 September 2018, 02:58
drj
Nope. Two major reasons (at least at the present time):
1. My loading room is set up with high countertops so it would be tough to modify it so I could have access to a foot pedal, sit, and load; (not to say that I might modify it at some point);
2. I feel like I need the exercise.

02 November 2018, 03:18
Peter
So, where do you get your shot from? Loading #9? I refuse to spend $50 a bag. I can buy 12ga. factory, #8 for $4.99 a box at Academy. So I just shoot skeet with my 12 ga now.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;
03 November 2018, 00:48
drj
Trainer Hale Supply in Marion, Texas just east of San Antonio. $39 a bag for Lawrence Magnum Shot. Folks drive from a long ways away to load up from them (no pun intended) due to their competitive prices.

03 November 2018, 00:50
drj
Forgot to mention-I only load 28 and 410 (mainly 28) for Sporting Clays practice and hunting. For hunting I spring for the nickel plated shot that Ballistic Products sells. I have found that it has reduced my cripples by over 90%.

03 November 2018, 05:04
Samuel_Hoggson
25 yrs ago when NSSA was the popular game here was considering press options. Went with 4 9000s. I really wanted a Spolar, but a better powder seal was not available. And 296/H110 powder migration was a deal-breaker.

I had no interest in Lil-gun b/c hull life was, and remains, inferior vs 296/H110/300MP.

Another issue: most all .410 is used in NSCA/5-stand. NSSA is about dead in Maine. The slower burn rates are better bets for 1250-1350 fps.

None of this is to bash Spolar. Quite the opposite, they are the Rolls Royce of shotshell presses. Now there is an aftermarket improved powder seal available (Jim Skeel). Wish it had been available back then.