New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone loading for a 10ga 2 7/8"?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an older SxS 10ga. and I'm considering the costs of setting up to load for it versus buying loaded shells from a place like RST.

With the unusual case length, I'm wondering about the set up of the press.

I also have questions such as a folded crimp vs. roll crimp. And selection of components, especially wads and hulls.

If anyone can help, I'd like to pick your brain.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you post this on the EUROPEAN HUNTING part of the Forum you might get a better response?

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Mec Sizemaster can be set up for 2-7/8" 10 ga. It used to be the standard way back when. I have used it to load a few 2-5/8 bp shells for my old Parker.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
the mec can be set for both 2 7/8 and 3 1/2 inch. The hard part is finding hulls for a 10 ga.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, hulls are one of the problems I face. I have quite a few Rem 3.5" hulls that I plan to trim down to 2 7/8". Then I will try out the Ballistic Products Super Crown crimp starter on the hulls to see if it forms an acceptable crimp.

Next up is to determine what kind of wad to try out.

I'll be on the phone to MEC to get some of the particulars about setting up the loader for 2 7/8".

Thanks guys.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The only wads I have been able to find easily are the remington sp-10 wads for 3 1/2 inch.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try to find a 1997 Handloaders Digest by DBI books has most of what you need Mec makes a short kit for 10 ga remington wads work for 1 1/4 oz loads using one 1/8in. 16 ga cork wad the mec folded crimp will work fine alliant has data for 1 1/4 oz loads one

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used cut 3.5" cases, Rem. SP wads and filler wads and a standard pie crimp. Works just great.
C.G.B.