THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTSHELL RELOADING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading shotshells with Vihtavuori powders??
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

As a Norwegian, my access to powders for which there exists official reloading data is rather limited. Actually there is no data on VV powders, which are the only ones I can get hold of (N-320, N-330, N-340 and N-350).

Any data is greatly apprechiated!!
My main intrest is in 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 oz field loads. I have an allmost unlimited source for once fired 12/70 Fiocchi hulls. Primers I can buy locally and all kinds of wads are available on mail order from the USA.

regards,
beefeater

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beefeater2: I have a VihtaVuori reloading guide, but, unfortunately it lists only centerfire cartridges. Why not go to the source?

www.vihtavuori-lapua.com

I hope the address will be of some help to you, regards, Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to VV, 320, 330 and 350 are "similar to", "generally like" red dot, green dot and blue dot. I am not big on experimenting with powders to simulate other powders even when the manufacturer gives you those clues. Shotguns don't give pressure clues like centerfire cartridges do. You mught consult with them but given the liablility they would likely not encourage it.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi again, thanks for the replies!

I have contacted VihtaVuori in the past asking them for data, but they won't reply. I have asked them for data on various metallic combinations not listed in their manuals, and their responses have been swift and with good data. Their reluctance to release shotshell data is probably a liability issue. To bad; any reloader should know that anything he puts togther is at his own risk, regardless of who told him that a load is "safe".

I do load shotshells using some of these powders. Based on other peoples undocumented experiments I treat N340 as if it were Herco and N350 as BlueDot. I haven't blown up any guns, my velocities are in the expected range, but I would very much like to use a recipe that someone had actually pressure tested.
I am also speculating about using 3N37 as an "allround" shotshell powder for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2oz field loads, but I am a little reluctant to move further out into the white parts of the map than I allready am.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
You know, a strain gauge is a lot cheaper than fixing a bulged barrel, or worse. If you are serious about loading shot-shells without a compass, I'd be looking at a pressure trace or some-such. Shootingsoftware.com. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Sporting Lite', N3SL, is ideal for 12 ga. 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads for clay shooters. Two other VihtaVuori shotshell powders, N3SM and N3SH, are available for medium and heavy loads for upland game and magnum field loads.

I have VERY limited data available for the Fiochi cases. NOTE: There are two different basewad heights. Make sure the date matches the Fiocchi case you are using!

Fiocchi Plastic (HIGH basewad)
1 1/8 ounce 1189 fps 8,500 psi
Powder: N3SL 20.0 grains
Primer: Fio. 616
Wad Colum: Fio 12TW

Fiocchi Plastic (LOW basewad)
1 1/8 ounce 1193 fps 8,500 psi
Powder: N3SL 20.5 grains
Wad Colum: Fio 12TW

Fiocchi Plastic (LOW basewad)
1 1/4 ounce 1221 fps 7,300 psi
Powder: N3SH 28.0 grains
Wad Colum: Federal 12S4

This data is from the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook (4th ed.)

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, thanks for that link. I never knew a system like that was so inexpensive.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote