New
Find
Notify
Tools

GOOD RECIPE FOR 00 BUCKSHOT RELOADING
 Login/Join

Picture of VIPER 0369
posted
Hello Everyone. Thanks for helping. I have all necessary equipment to roll crimp some 00 buckshot 2 3/4 shells. Not impressed witht he bulge ones seen on you tube. Bought # 47 filler willing to cut off ears of wad. Need your smart knowledge on which hull to buy. I have 209 primers. Also which wad will go good with the hull purchased. What is the best powder for 00 buckshot and how much. Respectfully Dan

Posts: 6 | Location: WISCONSIN | Registered: 25 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you're new to this. I highly recommend that you pick up a copy of Lyman's 5th Edition Shotshell Reloading Manual. I am not trying to be disrespectful or unhelpful but much depends on the load you are trying to duplicate, the components you can source, the hulls you plan to use, gauge / length etc. Read the Lyman's, it has a great "how to section" and a section on slug and buckshot loading data. Pick the load that fits your needs and source the components listed, do not substitute. Subbing components could result in excessive pressure with bad results. You will also need a good reloading scale to verify your powder charges. Do not try to sub buckshot into loads given for bird shot, they do not cross. You will find that the Lyman's Manual will provide you that start and info you are looking for. For most of us it is the required reference text to have on hand.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do not try to sub buckshot into loads given for bird shot, they do not cross.

Really, if the charges weigh the same and you can fit them in the wad, why not?

12 OO equals almost exactly 1 1/2 ounce.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of VIPER 0369
posted Hide Post
I am fairly new to ShotGun reloading. Been doing my own trap loads for months. I've spent enough research to at least know what you all are saying. I did purchase the coyote book from Ballistic products and the rcbs handbook for shotshell reloading. The book ScoutMaster references is very popular and back ordered till middle of summer. Basically I was hoping someone out there had already done the leg work. After shopping around today I realize that I need to buy a HULL and stick with it due to the WAD nightmare of matching to a recipe. Anyone have an already proven recipe Hull? Fed 209 primer wad? powder? with a 12 00buckshot load?

Picture of VIPER 0369
posted Hide Post
Owe I really want to roll crimp with buffer # 47 unless someone here talks me out of it?? Thanks for the help...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you're looking for, nor why you're so dead set on roll crimping, which is a pain in the butt if you're reloading very many shells, but here are some non-roll crimped loads off Hodgdon's site for 12 ga 2 3/4 AAs. 9 00s should weigh just slightly under 1 1/8 oz. If you want more pellets, you'll have to go to longer hulls, which cost more and are harder to find.

Shell: 2 3/4" WINCHESTER COMPRESSION - FORMED AA & HS TYPE PLASTIC SHELLS
Load Type Gauge Shot Wt. Powder Primer Wad Powder Wt. (Gr.) Pressure Vel. (ft/s)
Lead Buckshot 12 9-#00 LEAD BUCKSHOT Universal Win. 209 WAA12F114 24 9,200 PSI 1250
Lead Buckshot 12 9-#00 LEAD BUCKSHOT Universal Win. 209 WAA12F114 24.6 9,900 PSI 1300
Lead Buckshot 12 9-#00 LEAD BUCKSHOT HS-6 Win. 209 WAA12F114 30 8,400 PSI 1250
Lead Buckshot 12 9-#00 LEAD BUCKSHOT HS-6 Win. 209 WAA12F114 31 8,700 PSI 1300
Lead Buckshot 12 27-#4 LEAD BUCKSHOT Universal Win. 209 WAA12R 23.6 10,400 PSI 1250
Lead Buckshot 12 27-#4 LEAD BUCKSHOT HS-6 Win. 209 WAA12R 30 9,000 PSI 1250
Lead Buckshot 12 27-#4 LEAD BUCKSHOT HS-6 Win. 209 WAA12R 32 10,000 PSI 1300

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Viper - Pick up Lyman's 5th at Mid South $17.40+
http://www.midsouthshooterssup...tshell&GO.x=4&GO.y=9

You cannot sub buckshot for birdshot as they do not flow through the choke the same, this changes pressure and can cause problems.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You cannot sub buckshot for birdshot as they do not flow through the choke the same, this changes pressure and can cause problems

Ridiculous. By the time the shot has got to the choke, the pressure is not an issue. Just so you'll know, MAXIMUM pressure in a shotshell is achieved BEFORE the base of the wad leaves the case.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ridiculous. By the time the shot has got to the choke, the pressure is not an issue. Just so you'll know, MAXIMUM pressure in a shotshell is achieved BEFORE the base of the wad leaves the case.

Pure unadulterated bullshit. I will tell you for a fact that if you don't have enough horsepower (i,e, pressure) to push that load of 00 pas the shot column, you will pop that paper thin barrel like so much aluminum foil. Just like you will with any other shot. But the shot charge acts differently. Period.

That is EXACTLY why Lyman has a special section for loading buckshot.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
quote:

Pure unadulterated bullshit. I will tell you for a fact that if you don't have enough horsepower (i,e, pressure) to push that load of 00 pas the shot column, you will pop that paper thin barrel like so much aluminum foil. Just like you will with any other shot. But the shot charge acts differently. Period.

That is EXACTLY why Lyman has a special section for loading buckshot.

Must be your day for stupidity. From an article by John Loubser, Ballistician for Western Powder Company:

quote:
SHOTSHELL DATA

Background and basic Fundamentals.

The fundamental difference between a shotshell cartridge and a typical centre fire rifle cartridge is, that the efficiency of the shotshell cartridge is 100% dependant on the round itself. By this we mean that all the “resistive forces” must be generated within the confines of the round itself. No assistance is provided by the gun.
The reason for this is that the Maximum Peak Pressure is reached long before the base of the shot/wad assembly has left the case.

BTW, I doubt you can, but try to make some sense of your statement "if you don't have enough horsepower (ie. pressure) to push that load of pas the shot column,you will pop that paper thin barrel like so much aluminum foil." Geesh, do you understand English? MAXIMUM pressure doesn't mean there is instantly NO pressure. And, just so you'll know for future reference, the "load of OO" is the shot colunn. Damn, you're dumb.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ridiculous. By the time the shot has got to the choke, the pressure is not an issue

THIS statement is where you showed your ignorance. Period. I called your bluff and you show me something comparing shot shells to rifle cartridges. And you call ME dumb.

You seem to proclaim yourself the final authority on everything... from buying gold to shooting deer with a .223, to best barbeque in TX, etc. Shall I go on?

You are one of those that Reagan talked about. Figure it out.

Back on ignore. You waste my time.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
quote:
Ridiculous. By the time the shot has got to the choke, the pressure is not an issue

THIS statement is where you showed your ignorance. Period. I called your bluff and you show me something comparing shot shells to rifle cartridges. And you call ME dumb.

You seem to proclaim yourself the final authority on everything... from buying gold to shooting deer with a .223, to best barbeque in TX, etc. Shall I go on?

You are one of those that Reagan talked about. Figure it out.

Back on ignore. You waste my time.

I guess you didn't notice that I was replying to the previous poster when he said that the 00 going through the choke raising pressure was the reason that you couldn't use regular data for buckshot. And, you're the one who said I was wrong about when MAXIMUM shotshell pressure was achieved. I showed you why you're wrong and you can't even understand that. Still dumber than a bag of hair.

I don't claim to be a final authority on anything, and I'm not all that smart, but I'm damn sure smarter than you, and that's a fact.

BTW, here's another "LEAD SHOT" LOAD from Hodgdon's site:

Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Universal Win. 209 Rem. Fig. 8 23.5 10,000 PSI 1255

Compare it to the first two "BUCKSHOT" LOADS in my post above:

Lead Buckshot 12 9-#00 LEAD BUCKSHOT Universal Win. 209 WAA12F114 24 9,200 PSI 1250
Lead Buckshot 12 9-#00 LEAD BUCKSHOT Universal Win. 209 WAA12F114 24.6 9,900 PSI 1300

NOTICE THE DIFFERENCES. INSIGNIFICANT AND, THE POWDER IS SLIGHTLY MORE FOR THE BUCKSHOT LOAD AND THE PRESSURE IS SLIGHTLY LESS.
Try to think, I know it's difficult. If your envy would quit making you follow my posts, you'd feel better about yourself. You'll be better off ignoring me, learning is so difficult for some people. dancing

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW I never said that the SAME loads for the same shot charge wt. of buckshot and lead shot are OPTIMUM for one and the other, simply that they are safe. The loads listed sometimes use different wads, and different powders, probably to avoid more initial setback deformation on the larger shot.
That's why they've got different sections for buckshot and lead shot. Typically they use slower burning powders for the heavier shot.

xxxxxxxxxx