Find
Notify
Tools

Quality loader
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
I bought a Lee loader, and never bothered to set it up. My 16 year old daughter is really getting into shooting sporting clays, and we even managed to find a Weatherby Orion, used, that had already had the stock cut down. I've been saving AA hulls for a year now, so I figured it's time to start reloading. I am familure with rifle/pistol loading, and the best part is Powder Valley is about 10 miles from my house. dancing NO HAZMAT CHARGES! dancing

What I need advice on is what REASONABLY priced loader to go with.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A MEC Sizemaster is a fine single stage press. It is the shotshell press I started out with. However, I enjoy my recently purchased MEC Grabber progressive press better (it also can be operated as a single stage press). Hate to tell you this, but if you are loading 12 ga. ammo you will find you are not saving much money (if any) by reloading due to the cost of lead shot.

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Do your self a favor; don't bother with the Lee Load all. Yes, they will reload shells but you can do far better and be a lot less frustrated. The crimp quality from a Lee is not always top quality either. A used MEC 600 is only little more than a Lee and so superior and will turn out quality reloads and has resale value if you ever want to sell or upgrade later.

You do not indicate the amount of shells you will need per week. With a single stage press like a MEC 600 or Sizemaster you can easily turn out about 100 shells per hour maybe a bit more. With a progressive like the Grabber or a 9000GN 300 or more per hour is easy.

The promo shells from Wally World and Big Box Mart are right there with reloading cost but with ammo escalating many of those cheap promo shells are going up, you can still eak out a savings if you buy your components in bulk. I find it a good past time and far better than watching some Crime detective emergency doctor thing on the boob box. Your daughter and you may well discover some quality time here too.

One of the advantages you may find is that you can taylor your load to suite your daughter by droping down to 3/4 oz, save some shot and drop some recoil.

Pick up a Lyman's 5th edition read the getting started section and get a good scale you'll need it to to verify your bushing drops. Check e-bay you can usualy find a good price on a MEC if you are patient.

Questions, feel free to ask.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I never bothered setting up the Lee after I saw it. We don't get to shoot every weekend, but we usually do go through quite a few shell when we do go. I have been stocking up on shot and primers.
One question, I want to load those fast 7/8's loads, but I would like to be able to change quickly to 1 or even 11/4 oz loads.
I do need to get a loading manual, but I use a lot of WST for my .45 target loads, and 231 for my .38 loads do either of those fit the 7/8's or 1 oz loads?

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thought is that WST is going to be too fast. Look at the on line loading data at Hodgdon, IMR and Alliant's web sites. You will need a couple of diffrent bars and a number of bushing to achieve your loads. You might consider an after market universal charge bar. Hodgdon Universal Clays, Alliant Unique and Down Ranges DVR-20 Wad makes for good 7/8 oz loads.I have had good luck with Hodgdon's Longshot and Alliant's Blue Dot for those heavy 1 oz. loads. 1 1/4 oz is do-able in 3" shells so you'll need to convert the machine. Might I suggest you look at a MEC Sizemaster its' auto primer feed & collet sizer make it worth the money. With the 3" kit from MEC it should fill your needs.

Scout Master 54

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
I hate to keep pestering, but the Midway price looks pretty good on the sizemaster, and they also sell a MEC universal charge bar with powder baffle for $35.
It looks like this should put me in buisness.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out e-bay, Auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com for a used reloader as it's a good way to save about 50%. If you must buy new look at Connies Components or Recob's Target Shop their prices are always better than Midway. Look at their wad prices and if you have not try the Fiocchi 616 primer it's less expensive than the Remchesters and every bit as good.

Scout Master 54

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you haven't pulled the trigger on the loader yet, I came into a Mec Grabber yesterday that I'll sell you for $175, including the UCB. Also have a Mec 650 (with UCB) for $100. Both are in "ready to go" shape, with bottles, etc.

A 5-0-5 Ohaus scale for $40, if that helps? FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
If I was wearing a hat right now, I'd throw it down and stomp on it!

Yup, already have a sizemaster on the way!

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, you'll really like the Sizemaster (I have two). It's a great machine to learn on, and for basic reloading and hunting loads. I did 6,000 rounds a year on them for several years. Let us know if we can help with adjustments and such. Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote