New
Find
Notify
Tools

28 gs. hulls - Win. or Rem.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have worn out a lot of my old 28 ga. hulls and am looking to buy some new ones. I am looking for information on the Win. HD and Rem. STS hulls. (In 12 ga. I really like the Rem. STS hulls.) Does anyone here have experience with either, or both, of these 28 ga. shells? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded the Old style WW and the Rem STS in 28 gauge. Also some Federal target hulls. Have not tried the new Win HS hull.

Of the three I tried, I like they STS best, WW a close second, and Federal a distant third.

The 28 Ga hulls do not last as long as the 12 or 20's - seem to burn on the end.

With the Federals I had issues with the wad pulling out when I removed the tube after dropping the shot. Makes a mess - shot everywhere. I use a MEC 600 Jr. Also had a few Federals separate at about mid length at firing - the front part of the hull went out the end of the barrel with the shot. Appeared to be brittle.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The HS hulls will outlast the STS hulls about 2:1 for life. The STS hull crimps will start to get crips and and split be tossers after 5 to 6 reloads max and the HS hulls will not do that until 10 to 12. They are a bit shorter than the old AA hulls so you have to adjust and they do use a different wad than the old AA's. Rumor has it that Winchester is remaking them so the hull height is the same as before after gripes from reloaders. I have over 2000 of them and they will last me a bit longer.

There are some claybuster clones for the Win HS wads. that can save you some money over the Win wads. I have not been able to get good crimps with the claybusters and have gone to using the Rem PT 28 wad, longshot powder and Fiochi primers and 3/4 oz. of 8 1/2 shot. The load chronographs around 1240 fps and patterns nicely. You can find more loads here.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I have a few boxes of the new Win. 1 oz. and target loads, so I think I will keep buying them until I have enough hulls to keep me going for awhile. I have been shooting Rem. target hulls from the 1970s. When I was stationed in Italy in the Army no one reloaded or saved the hulls, so I brought home 4000-5000 of them. They worked OK but the case mouth split after a few loadings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale,
That many free AA's would be a gold mine here. Check ebay and see what they are selling for. I have actually seen people pay more with shipping for empties than it would cost for new shells.

I was fortunate enough to buy a large quantity 28 AA HS hulls from a young guy who was sponsored by Winchester. I then bought 4 flats of new for my stash of 28's. I later bought 3700 HS 410 hulls from the same guy. Unfortunately he is shooting Remingtons now. The AA 410's will last even longer than the 28's but powder selection is part of the key to their life.

I bought a few boxes of 1 ounce loads and have not used them yet. I also had a friend give me two boxes of older 1 ounce paper shells. I think I will just hang onto them. Most of my use of the 28 is for skeet shooting and lately I use the 28 more than any other gauge.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trigger:

Of the three I tried, I like they STS best, WW a close second, and Federal a distant third.

I agree with that advice. I think Remington STS hulls are the best of the new ones today.

The new Winchester AA hulls are not as good, in my opinion, as the older ones. Moreover, they need a different wad to work properly.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale,
If you are not convinced the Winchester AA hs hulls are the best, visit the following link. There are a number of world class and world champion skeet shooters that frequent that site and they are all in agreement on the issue. YOu can do a search if it is working and find even more threads on their longevity. And yes the AA HS wad is different and you have to buy a different one but so what. Hopefully you can use up the wads with the old ones. I buy wads in a lot of 5000 from Recob.

I did have about 1000 STS 28 ga hulls and 1500 of the old Remington Peters Blue hulls when I switched. I was lucky if I got 5 loads out of the sts hulls and the crimps always looked like crap. I sold and have never looked back.

Click here for the link.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Chic, me and the vast majority of loaders agree with you. The AAHS is the best of the available 28 gauge hulls today.

Skip

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote