New
Find
Notify
Tools

fiber wads - load data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have somehow accumulated a lot of fiber wads for 12 ga. shell reloading. I would like to load shells for informal target shooting and dog training that I can use on my land without leaving a buch of plastic residue behind. So I want to use nitro cards, fiber wads and no shot sleeve.
I have data for fiber wads using obsolete powders, hulls and primers, but not for modern components. My question: If I find a good modern moderate pressure load in a straight walled hull and leave everything else the same except the wad, and if I substitute these card/fiber components for a one piece wad/shotcup, would it be a safe load?
The reason I think it should be OK is that in many old loading manuals you often see the warning printed with fiber load data: "if substituting a new one-piece wad and shot protector reduce powder charge by 10%" so I assume that pressures are lower with fiber/card wads.
I do not have the option of sending a few shells to a commercial ballistics lab such as you have in the USA.
Your comments and experiences please.

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
If anybody can help it would be Ballistic Products. I'll bet a call to them would get you what you need.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old Lyman shotshell books had data for fiber wads and powders like Red Dot, Unique, etc. They should still work.
C.G.B.