THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTSHELL RELOADING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

got a used Lee shotshell reloader. what is it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my father in law gave me this Lee shotshell reloader.

It's pretty old I think.
He's doesn't recall the last time he used it
I don't know anything about it.

So can you tell me about it?
All I want to do is reload 12 ga with either slugs or 0,2, 4 gauge shot.
Not sure what parts pieces I need, or even whats missing/

Any info appreciated.

thanks!
Dane V

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless someone has an attachment to that clunker sell it on ebay or put it back in a closet and forget it. This is pretty much the Yugo of shotshell loaders.

Buy a used MEC 600 Jr Mark V or an MEC Sizemaster. You can often pick them up for $40 for the 600 Jr and $75 for the Sizemaster.

If you cannot afford the MEC you can make the Lee work but just consider it an educational tool and not a real reloader.
Check out Lee's site for more information. There is a PDF with instructions. It appears your loader is missing all the powder and shot bushings and a number of loose pieces.
Try to inventory everything against the service parts list and see what you need. Get back to us if you get stuck.
There are quite a few videos of the Lee Loadall in action on youtube.

Lee Loadall

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
You will find the Lee Load All most frustrating. The plastic bends and flexes, the resizing is cumbersome, the priming station is slow, emptying the shot & powder hoppers is a real PIA, there is no crimp adjustment and they are very particular in the recipes they like. And that’s just my short summary… this coming from a guy that first started on a LLA. You will be far better served with a MEC 600 or an old Texan, Pacific DL-105 or 155.

Looking at the photo it appears you have the first generation Lee Load All. Do you have the resizing ring? You’ll need that. Also the Lee Load All first generation did not have the ability to change powder and shot bushing, one thing you will defiantly need. You will also need a good powder scale to verify your powder and shot drops as seldom do they drop per the charts. Pick up a Lyman’s 5th Edition Shot Shell Reloading manual; the reloading data, tables and how to section is quite valuable and a reference text all reloaders should have on hand.

IMO pick up a used MEC 600, I paid $50 for a used 12 ga machine, little more than a new LLA II and it’s oh so much better. Check with your buddies, club bulletin board, Craig’s List etc. Be sure you pick up a scale too to check you drop weights because neither Lee nor MEC bushing drop as specified.

Yes, you can turn out reloads on a Lee Load All …… some also enjoy going to the dentist to have their teeth drilled.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot a lot go and get a MEC prgressive loader either a grabber or a 650. If you only shoot occasionaly just buy factory shells and throw out the LLA itreally is a POS. Maybe you can sell it on EBay to some other poor schmuck to buy it, but it really is useless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this all you get to inherit?

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one to load very specialize ammo that use in very small amounts.

Other then that give me a Mec of any type

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the link to the instructions for the current mfg LoadAll.
They're a little different from yours but the idea is the same.
http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/LA1088.pdf

There is a 'sizing ring' used in the first two steps,,but you can load with out using it.
If you are using fired cases from your shotgun, they will usually be fine w/o the sizing step.

Yes they are considered the bottom line of reloaders, but there's more than a few out there & in use.

I still have one and have set it up to just load 1oz loads in black powder (12ga).
It works fine for that and I'm happy to use it for that.
It loaded quite few 1000 rds of 12ga before that for me till I could afford a MEC9000.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No it's not a Cadillac and you have a very early one. Loads shells fine, but as said above there are more efficient tools. That said if you are not loading a lot of shells a Load All is about perfect. You get every powder bushing and shot bushing you'll ever need. Plus loading data for every hull type that will never get you in trouble. I still have two of these, one in 12 and one in 20. I use them for slug, buckshot, and the little bit of steel I load. Great for small batches and load development. Many years ago when I shot a lot of trap and was generally broke I loaded thousands of trap loads on mine. Did the job for me.

Posts: 100 | Location: Washington, The State | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With Quote