New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloadable Cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have continued to reload metallic over the last 30 years but just now getting back into shotshells. A tech at Hodgdon told me not to reload any cases that a magnet would stick to since the steel or brass plated steel could not be resized . I tested all my empty cases and all are steel to some degree. I don't remember this being an issue 25 years ago, but maybe that's because everything was brass. Are my newer superx hibrass, superx lowsteel, fed hipower hibrass, and remington hibrass indeed non-reloadable?

Deke

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded tens of thousands of plated steel based shot shells just run them through my Mecs with no trouble.

Did have to change the sizing ring on my 600 jr 20 ga after 30 years of hard use.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pdog,

Any adjustments in load required for plated steel?

Deke

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use stardard data for the type of hulls used. In 50 years of shot gun loading I can't remember a all brass base.

maybe I just forgot but plated bases have been around for a long time.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
In 50 years of shot gun loading I can't remember a all brass base.

maybe I just forgot but plated bases have been around for a long time.

Win AAs don't have any steel in them. I've been reloading them since the early 70s.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to use MEC Sizemaster press/loader and don't really pay much attention to whether the case is steel or brass, resizes and loads fine.
Shotguns used w/these reloads vary from Rem.3200 Trap, Win. Model 12's, Merkel 201's plus at the local club not uncommon to loan shells to others with all manner of shotguns and no complaints from the Rem. 1100 crowds(gas pipes.)

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Win AAs don't have any steel in them. I've been reloading them since the early 70s

I loaded thousands of them also guess I just haven't payed attention to the base material.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The anti steel discrimination is good for metallic cartridge reloading only.

Shotshells are mostly steel now with the exception of the premium target loads.

Cases that have a paper base wad are another thing. Be very careful loading those. If you have a good supply load once or twice and toss them.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know some one thats loading steel 5.56 cases he saids that it work well.

After watching him and some freinds put several hunred of rounds of steel cased reloads through a AR with out a problem.

I guess I have to belive him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

I know some one thats loading steel 5.56 cases he saids that it work well.

After watching him and some freinds put several hunred of rounds of steel cased reloads through a AR with out a problem.

I guess I have to belive him.

For curosity I have resized US GI 45 ACP.
They did not have the same elasticity as brass. Based on my observations they were not safe to shoot. Anyone reloading steel is not going to be reloading them long. Between work hardening and the lack elasticity they are going to cause problems. On top of that they are probably not suitable for storage of loaded rounds due to the possiblity of rust.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The few people I know that reload steel 7.62 x 39 and 5.56 only run them once. They get too many split necks to try twice. Other folks may have some special tricks but as many relods as brass casses can get, I don't see where the benefit of steel exceeds the risks.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote