THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTSHELL RELOADING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with new 20/28 Alliant powder for 28 ga..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just opened my last pound of 4756 which has always worked great for 28 gauge Win AA target reloads.

When that runs out, I'll switch to 20/28 but haven't found recommended loads. I'd like to stick with Win 209 primers and claybuster wads. Ideally using the same bushing that throws 15.1 gn of 4756 - I haven't weighed the 20/28 throws yet. Any suggestions..?

Good hunting

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Alliant web site and open their reloading guide, there are lots of loads on there. btw, 20/28 is not new, but then it depends on your definition of new. It is in short supply right now.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found their site after my question and loaded a 100 with one of the recommended charges. Takes a couple grains less than my pet 4756 load so I should get about 55 more shells out of a pound. Bushing size went from E down to D1 so only slight tweaks to crimping die. Will try them Thursday and report on impressions. Hope they shoot as clean as the 4756 did...

Good hunting,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
compare it to unique.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
20/28 is a great powder.
I use it for 3/4 oz 28 ga, 3/4 oz 20 ga and 7/8 oz 20 ga.
Very clean power.
Cant go wrong with it for 28 ga.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I've now loaded and shot a couple of hundred rounds with the 20/28. The first batch was a little hotter load than my 5756 - probably closer to a game load. I stepped down to a D bushing size that throws 13.1 grains and those loads seem identical to my earlier target loads. This powder seems to shoot even cleaner than the 4756 if that's possible.

I also load 3/4oz 20 gauge loads for my wife and will see how the 20/28 works once I get through the few pounds of Unique I have on hand. The Unique works fine but it is not a clean load. Plus, I like the idea of having just one powder for all my shot shell loading...

Good hunting,

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Unique works great in both 20 and 28 gauges.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use 20/28 in both 20 and 28. It compares closely with universal clays. I like it in 28 ga especially as it is a bit denser than universal and fits even the early generation of aahs hulls.

Posts: 19 | Location: Montana | Registered: 03 November 2011Reply With Quote