Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady DL 366
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HI:
I'm new in shotshell reloading ( but old in cartridge reloading).
A very good friend give me a Hornady DL 366 with which I will start to reload .
What do you think about this machine?
Is very difficult to use and is preferable to start with a simple one?
The machine is more or less 8-10 years old and with not to much use.
Thank's in advance
Guillermo Trotz

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about these machines. Any progressive machine will be a little harder to learn at first but not to bad. A single stage press would be easier but the operations are the same your just doing all operations at the same time with the progressive. Get the manual, take your time and I'm sure you'll be fine. Slow and easy is the way to start off don't rush it, too many people try for maximum output and that's were they get messed up. Hey if you can't handle it I would be will to take the ultimate sacrifice and take it off your hands for you. If you have problems feel free to PM me.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is ten years old and runs better than new. I know what I am doing now. Great press, if not the best a very close second.
80,000+ rounds thru mine so far.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I have 4 of them, one in each of the skeet guages (12, 20, 28, & .410). I got my first one in the early 70's when I started shooting trap.

I only reload old style Win AA shells. The primer seating rod has to be adjusted for different shells. I have each machine set for a specific load and I haven't reset anything on the 20, 28, and .410 machines in 10-15 years. I use the 12 ga machine to load both 3 dram 1 1/8 oz handicap loads and light 7/8 oz skeet and 16 yd trap loads. This is done by simply changing the shot and powder bushings.

All of my 366's have auto indexing, shot & powder shutoffs, and I cut away the outside ring behind the shot drop position so if a shell gets messed up when the wad is inserted, it can be removed.

When I was shooting competitive trap and skeet, I was reloading 10,000+ shells per year. Now I just shoot 100-200 shells a week for fun so I'm down to about 5,000 shells per year.

The 366's are not the fastest reloaders, but they work well.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank's to all .
I am happy that is a good press.
Here in Argentina you get some national powder and winchester , so will start to try different loads.
sincerely
Gtrotz

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote