Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

28 ga 7/8 oz loading data
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have any published loading data for 28 ga field loads using the BP 28SGII wad, AAHS hulls, and IMR SR4756 powder?
Thanks,
Snuffy

Posts: 5 | Location: SE US | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have experimented with 7/8 oz. 28 gauge loads.
I have found them to be not worth the trouble.
a. longer shot column causes deformation of shot at the bottom of the column.
b. patterns are not as uniform as the 3/4 oz. load.
c. more stress on the gun and recoil on the shooter
7/8oz. is a much better load in the 20 gauge or even the 12.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Snuffy

Posts: 5 | Location: SE US | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of NV Guide
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Hodgdons Lil'gun in my 7/8oz loads. It's been quite a long time ago since I tried SR4756. I dont remember what my issues were , just that they were there.

Dennis

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I respectfuly do not agree. I have had reasonably good success with both 7/8 & 1 oz loads in the 28 ga. Not all guns shoot them well but I attribute that as much or more to choke, shot size, hardness of the shot and other mechinacal factors. I have made up several diffrent 7/8 oz loads using Chedite & Fiocchi hulls and Longshot or Lil' Gun powder that shoot very well. Patterns were on par with my favorite 3/4 oz Alliant 20 / 28 powder loads. Check out the Hodgdon web site for load details.

The Winchester 1 oz factory load of #7 1/2's patterns & shoots very well through my Browning Cynergy. Unfortunatly I have yet to find a load that duplicates it for the AAHS hull. The Fiocchi factory Golden Pheasant load is a 7/8 oz load and many of my group claim is the best of the factory shells. I suggest you load some up or purchase diffrent brands, pattern your gun and see how they work, you might be suprised. Worst case you'll know what works best in you gun.

As far as being hard on your gun, 7/8 & 1 oz loads will conform to SAAMI Specs on pressure and if you check the data they are similar, slower powders keep them in the same pressure range as a 3/4 oz load. Sure there is more recoil, but no diferent than going from a 1 oz to a 1 1/4 oz load in a 12 ga. For the limited amount I use in the field it's no big deal and adds a bit of versitility to the 28 ga when the birds jump up a bit further out than expected.

If you're a hard core 28 ga fan check out the 28 ga Society at http://28gasociety.46.forumer.com

There are a lot of guys over there with a good deal of experence specificaly with the 28 ga. Lots of load ideas and nontoxic data.

I recomend you not dismiss heavier loads for the 28 ga, with a little work you may find that they will do just fine in your gun. The pattern board will reveal all....

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote