New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Light" 10ga loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know the words light and 10ga should not be in the same sentence. I was wondering what it would be like to use the same gun for all my shotgun shooting? Its great for waterfowl, a bit much for ducks though. I am curious about light-fast loads that will cycle the action on an SP-10. 1-1/8oz--1-1/4oz at stupid high velocity say 2500fps?

Anyone ever try this?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am curious about light-fast loads that will cycle the action on an SP-10. 1-1/8oz--1-1/4oz at stupid high velocity say 1500fps?

Thats not high vel any more Remington and others are produceing 12ga loads over 1700 fps.

Win has 1550fps 12ga loads for around 11 dollars a box that work very well.

Ballistic Products would be the place to look for more info on hi vel 10ga loads.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post has been adjusted as per p dog shooter's new info pertaining to high velocity..........

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2500 fps would be interisting.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting but probably not possible. I have other data from Ballistic Products, such as the Sixteen gauge manual. Very good info there. I guess my next purchase will be the Mighty Ten Gauge manual, if they have any copies currently.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless they have just developed them I don't believe there are any such loads. I have the " Mighty 10 ga Manual" as well as the " Status of Steel "manual.There are some light 10 ga loads in the 1500 fps range. That may be as close as you can get. Contact BP, maybe they are working on something??

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can probably get 1400-1500 with 1-1/4 or even 1-1/8 but I doubt that they would cycle the action. I never tried anything lighter than about 1-5/8 in my Ithaca but have loaded 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 for my doubles, nice light recoiling loads. Note: watch the stuff published by BP, I have experienced some high pressures with some of their loads.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CGB brings up a very good point. Some of these specialized 10 ga loads do not all work the 10 ga Autoloaders. BP mentions some loads are recommended only for doubles ,pumps and the odd O&U. I have the Browning BPS so I have never been concerned about those warnings.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new 10ga which will allow me to work up super light loads. I bought a Richland O/U with 32" pipes. The previous owner bought it new and had less than 2 boxes down the barrels. Christmas present to me!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
drewhenrytnt I don't think you are going to find any 10 ga loads in the 2500fps range. Plastic wads can only be driven so fast.If you add some cool temperatures you run the risk of cracking or splitting a wad. Your best bet is to contact Ballistic Products and ask what they have. The last thing you want is to split a wad and then fire another round in that barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered what type of plastic is used for wads? Teflon-PTFE would take higher temperatures, but the mold would have to be modified. A cost I am not willing to support. What is wrong with fibre wads? I guess I should ask what is the limit of fibre wads. Personally I do not think 2500 is attainable or practical. Some of the old 2-7/8 loads were pretty steamy though.......

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member