New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressures with exotic rounds as seen on Youtube
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just saw a list of super exotic shotshell loads on youtube. What do you think of the pressures that these various loads create, magnets to hotdogs? These guys from Demolition Ranch and Taofledermaus are a lot more adventurous than I am. There are bunches of these videos and I searched AR for previous discussions, but found none. Take a look, maybe I'm getting to old and careful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p32xmVXYLBk

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
He shoots a pump wich in and by itself is in a class of its own regarding action strength.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They will bow up a gun, loose some fingers, maybe an eye. They haven't enough knowledge to be scared. Hopefully they have a guardian angel.

Serioulsy, making up shotgun loads is dangerious territory. You can't read primers or measure case head expansion. The first sign of a problem can be a blown up the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they weigh whatever it is they want to shoot, the pressures won't be any different than shooting lead

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they weigh whatever it is they want to shoot, the pressures won't be any different than shooting lead

Maybe.

If they shoot 'whatever' out of a cylinder choke, that may be true.

If they are shooting 'whatever' out of a Full Choke, they can run into pressure problems.

Lead shot has lubricity and flows through a choke very nicely and flattens pellets as well when they hit the choke.

Steel shot has neither lubricity nor will it flatten to any degree when it hits the choke, so when it 'balls up' in the choke you would most likely encounter pressure spikes.

I just read an old article about Jim Shockey hunting in The Amazon. He says he saw local's cutting 6" lengths of rebar and shooting them out of a shotgun.

Now, my face ain't pretty, but I'm kind of attached to it, so I only load by the book.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote