Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mec size master ?
 Login/Join

posted
is there any negative things on the size master.or should i just buy the jr any thoughts between the two?also are the older mec built better than the new ones ?(seem like i read the newer 1s are cheaper made ) i dont load alot but want to load when i get ready .but want somthing that will last .im bad to find what i like and never change ..thanks yall

Posts: 20 | Location: alabama | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a newer MEC sizemaster, about 2 years old, and an old jr (from the early 70's). The main difference is the resizing station. The Sizemaster uses a collet that squeezes the brass, and the jr uses a sizing ring that slides over the brass. Both seem to be effective & problem free, but the collet is a little more elegant. The older MECs have a few metal parts in the shot/powder/wad & pre-crimp stations that have been replaced by some type of plastic (MEC calls it Zytel I think) in the newer ones, but they all seem to be pretty durable & work well. The plastic pieces in the new sizemaster are inexpensive & easy to replace, although none of mine have worn out or been damaged yet.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sizemaster is about 25yrs old give or take and still going strong.I haven't looked at the new ones but you just cant go wrong with MEC.Just keep it clean and lubed as the manual states and it will last a lifetime.Good luck!

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a sizemaster and a versa-mec. They both work great. Sizemaster is a better unit because of the collet sizer.

Posts: 54 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I've had a Grabber and a 650 with the zytel parts since like 94 and never had a problem with em. Work just as good as the metal parts imo. I still have a 650 with metal parts also and can't tell the difference.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote