New
Find
Notify
Tools

A strong shell needed for cold weather ptarmigan
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't reload for shotguns.Might in the future.I always bring my shotgun during caribou hunting and want a fast and hard hitting factory shell.Any of you knowledgeable shotshell reloaders have a factory shell to recommend?In what size shot.I am counting on you on this one since I have sadly almost abandoned my shotgun days.It all started with shotgun.Shotgunning will remain the mother of my hunting days.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
You'll want a factory shell with a relatively fast, double based powder, and a hot primer. I'd start with Federal or Fiocchi (hottest primers in the bunch), and go from there. I'd avoid most of the Euro's, since they use single based powders, more often than not.

I'd look for something like 1 1/8th of 6's at 1200 fps (I actually prefer 7's, but they are harder to find that ptarmigan's teeth...) Anything faster than that is just a waste of recoil and muzzleblast. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just buy a hi-brass 3 3/4 1 1/4 load of 6's, Re, Fed, Win all will work fine.

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 2 3/5" Fiocchi #5's for cold weather pheasants and they performed awesomely. The shells are blaze orange, but I can't remember if there is anything special about them.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote