New
Find
Notify
Tools

<<HELP>>Advice for Shotgun Virgin?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, maybe virgin is a little strong-i did grow hunting pheasants and quail as a kid.

I just bought a Semi auto SBEII for all pupose use and need advice for the following:

1. I am going to a local gun club to shoot trap tommorow just for fun. What size and type of shells should I buy?

2. Less immediate, I am going to hunt Michigan turkeys in the spring-which shells?

Posts: 326 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GDOG:

1. I am going to a local gun club to shoot trap tommorow just for fun. What size and type of shells should I buy?

Anything with #7 1/2 or #8 shot will work.

You don't really need a lot of power for trap, so standard target loads or the (less expensive -- you can usually get them at Wal Mart) multipurpose loads supplied by Federal, Winchester, and others will be fine. Usually, the load for trap is a 1 1/8 ounce one, loaded to about 1145 to 1290 f.p.s. velocity.

Some ranges have shot size and/or, more rarely, velocity limits. Shot no larger than #7 1/2 or #8 will get you within any of those shot size limits, and anything within a max of about 1300 f.p.s. will get you within those (rare) velocity limits.

If you are shooting International Trap there's also a shot weight limit, but it is highly unlikely that you will face such a limit at any ordinary US trap range.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lloyd.

What choke tube should I install or not?

Also, are there usually regulations regarding lead or not?

Posts: 326 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GDOG:

What choke tube should I install or not?

Also, are there usually regulations regarding lead or not?

Assuming that your barrel is threaded for choke tubes, you MUST NOT shoot it without a tube. Usually trap is shot with a choke from modified to full. If you have a modified choke tube, I'd recommend using that one to start.

All the trap ranges that I know accept lead shot. I'd recommend using it.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will put in the Mod choke tonight!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GDog - if your SBEII is brand new, you might want to lean toward the high velocity end of LE270's recommended loads. A new semi auto will sometimes need to be "broken in" with a few boxes of higher velocity shells (check your manual - - this may apply only to gas operated semi's & I think the Benelli is inertial.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
For turkey hunting. Buy 2 boxes of 4's, 5's and 6's in winchester, federal and remington. Pattern them at 20, 30 and 40 yards. Take the ones that pattern the best as your hunting loads.Use the tightest chock you have on the gun (full). Shoot up the rest on small game or varmits.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

Use the tightest chock you have on the gun (full).

For some guns you can buy an extra-full choke designated as a turkey choke, and that's worth it if it is available to you.

For the shot size, check the regulations of the state in which you will be hunting, as some states specify the allowable shot size for turkey hunting.

Turkeys are large and tough, so using high velocity shotshells will give you a bird-penetration advantage, as will using the largest shot you are permitted to use. In fact, some shotshell manufacturers designate some of their loads as turkey loads. That's mostly a sales gimmick, but still, using those loads will give you what the shotshell manufacturer thinks is a good turkey load.