The Accurate Reloading Forums
Reloading Heavy Shot

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/971103014/m/219100424

11 February 2006, 18:05
Hawkeye47
Reloading Heavy Shot
We are trying to reload some Heavy Shot BB's for pass shooting geese. We have used buffer and the whole 9 yards but can't get the loads to pattern like the #4 Buck loads I used to use before the steel shot law. We are useing Mod. choke in the 3 1/2 inch 10 ga. Does anyone have experience with this shot? Any help would be appreciated.

Hawkeye47
11 February 2006, 23:08
naja302
I have reloaded heavy shot in 3.5 in 12 guage, BB's 2's and 4's. I know absolutely nothing about shotgun reloading and this is the only ammo I have loaded for shotguns. I used ballistic products inc. load book and wrapped shot with mylar strips and buffered and used bpgas seals etc. patterns were about the same as normal factory steel shot through my gun. However I am responding to note that I have shot some factory loaded 3.5 in #4 buck (54 pellets) that patterned awesome in my remington turkey extra full. I shot a turkey at 90 yards and hit it in the chest with six pellets (one even exitted). Perhaps that size pellet just patterns amazingly tightly, I dont know?
11 February 2006, 23:09
naja302
I was also using a modified choke with the heavy shot
12 February 2006, 01:04
Hawkeye47
naja302,

I have had 3 10 ga 3 1/2 inch guns that were awsome with the #4 Buck. I think that the 19 ga just shines with the heavier shot. I am going to try the IC choke with the heavy shot to see if it patterns better with it.
Hawkeye47
12 February 2006, 06:37
Quarter Round
Some of the guys using "T" hevishot for coyotes are using the full choke tube. With the BB shot a full choke would be worth a try.
12 February 2006, 07:27
naja302
Cabelas also makes a full choke tube that will supposedly stand up to the abuse of large steel and heavy shot. I believe they even call it a heavy shot full choke tube. I have one and clobbered a bunch of geese with it, but was only shooting steel, and I never actually patterned it. It is only 29.99 I think, and is supposedly guaranteed to hold up under all types of abuse.
27 February 2006, 02:49
Scota4570
Try your IC choke.
02 March 2006, 04:55
johnch
First get a extended Light Mod or Mod tube .
I shoot Briley tubes and the extended tubes blow the factory tubes away .

Second Are you using Balistic Products load data ?
If so IMO you are waisting your time .
I use RSI load data , you can get it from Bucks Run , but you have to order over the phone .

Third I have found 3" loads tend to patteren better than 3.5" loads and Buffer is not normaly needed to get Hevi Shot to patteren .

If you have Hevi or anyother Nontoxic reloading questions , here is the best site to ask at .
Sgato.com, you will need to regestor there before you can veiw the posts .
A great group of guys , I am one of them

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results
20 August 2009, 08:56
wretch
quote:
Originally posted by johnch:

If you have Hevi or anyother Nontoxic reloading questions , here is the best site to ask at .
Sgato.com, you will need to regestor there before you can veiw the posts .
A great group of guys , I am one of them

Johnch

Hi John,

I clicked the link and it took me to a site under construction with a 2004 date? Is the link correct?

Thanks, w