New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price of lead shot?!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone checked this lately? The local skeet and trap club is selling it for about $47 a 25 lb. bag! Any other options?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Shoot steel for awhile and lead won't seem so bad.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price is ridiculous but current world metal prices are very high and it doesn't look like they are going to fall any time soon. So, they may be terrible but tomorrow they could be worse. Hate to say it but when I was a kid I bought the stuff 100# at a time for less than 6$/sack.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You knew it was going to go sky high when the ammo started going up. I bought a very large supply about 2 years ago and then I buy more when I can find it priced right at about $25.00 for a 25 pound bag.
Seems the good old days are gone now!

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to pay $45.00/ 25 lb bag recently. Insane price but, I picked up two bags, lucky for me I don’t shoot much shotgun anymore so the 50lb should last a couple years.

Posts: 46 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
What hobby doesn't cost a bunch of money?

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I took a shovel and bucket to an area a couple hundred meters behind the traps yesterday. 30 minutes work netted me 36kg of 7-9 shot.
I spent a day washing and sorting. Its now drying. Ill tumble it with some graphite and bag it. I picked up a bag at my local gunshop the other week and was told $60 for 10 kg so i said screw that.
Important thing with using recycled lead is to get all the rocks out or they can score your bores.

Posts: 69 | Location: Sydney | Registered: 14 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flatshooter:
I took a shovel and bucket to an area a couple hundred meters behind the traps yesterday. 30 minutes work netted me 36kg of 7-9 shot.
I spent a day washing and sorting. Its now drying. Ill tumble it with some graphite and bag it. I picked up a bag at my local gunshop the other week and was told $60 for 10 kg so i said screw that.
Important thing with using recycled lead is to get all the rocks out or they can score your bores.

sounds like a great solution!

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flatshooter:

recycle............. it's the GREEN thing to do..........
Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea.

The amount of lead o some clay target grounds
must be huge and in some places very concentrated.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's 42 bucks here! It was as low as 30 a few months ago.

Cheers,

George

Posts: 9 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 May 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
$38.00 Here in Mn..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting price drop!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I griped when it was $17 and started to buy a 4000 lb pallet of it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Connie's Components has them for $28 a bag with a minimum of 80 bags. Not sure how much they have right now or if they are out but the truck from Oregon arrives on a regular schedule.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a shot maker and never looked back!

Posts: 87 | Location: al | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's $35 a bag here in the high desert.

Cheers,

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rem700-3:
I bought a shot maker and never looked back!

great idea IF you have a source of lead, but even buying lead to run through the shot maker is hard to find under $1 per pound.......

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I bought 6500 pounds some years back at 13.25 a bag. Still have about half left....

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would any of you guys who bought in bulk be willing to sell some or trade for once fired brass?I'm looking for preferably size 6 shot but 5 or 4 ok.In brass I have 30-06 and 7x57.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can I purchase a shot maker? I have a friend that has been offering me some 5000lbs of wheelweights for a few years now. All I have to do is haul it. Did I mention it was melted and cast into 2500lb blocks? I believe he has a 4000lb block also. He used to do scale and crane certifications/calibrations.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can find reclaimed shot at most trap clubs. I've used it and it works pretty good!

Cheers,

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
back in '07 when shot first skyrocketed to $47+ a bag, i couldn't believe it. you were better off just buying factory ammo for doves/clays. it was cheaper because the ammo on the shelves was loaded before the increase. it did come back down to $25 a bag so i bought a bunch. might have to wait it out again.

Posts: 129 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
What hobby doesn't cost a bunch of money?

Geocaching aint to bad other than the price of a GPS and the fuel to get there.

How about something illegal like looking for arrowheads. Or just scouting for game?(not illegal)
Shed hunting comes to mind as does shooting gophers with a .22. I know what they cost now.... sofa

Sorry for the Hijack....

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We developed a computer program to calculate our cost to load various shotshells.

When the price of shot gets to 45/ 25lbs it becomes cheaper to buy factory shells from the big sellers.

Our club bought a bunch of mined/reclaimed shot and we sell it to our club members for 27/bag. It's great shot too. I wish we always had it for sale but that well will run dry pretty soon too.

My brother and I average 800 shots each per month so we always look for ways to save a little money and have a ton of fun shooting 2x per week. Going up to the club today in 3 hours.
Keep shooting guys! It's still better than gardening!!!!!!!!!!

Zeke

PS; I use a 7/8 oz load in my 12 ga and get about 450 rounds per 25 lbs bag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
We developed a computer program to calculate our cost to load various shotshells.

When the price of shot gets to 45/ 25lbs it becomes cheaper to buy factory shells from the big sellers.

Our club bought a bunch of mined/reclaimed shot and we sell it to our club members for 27/bag. It's great shot too. I wish we always had it for sale but that well will run dry pretty soon too.

My brother and I average 800 shots each per month so we always look for ways to save a little money and have a ton of fun shooting 2x per week. Going up to the club today in 3 hours.
Keep shooting guys! It's still better than gardening!!!!!!!!!!

Zeke

PS; I use a 7/8 oz load in my 12 ga and get about 450 rounds per 25 lbs bag.

Wrote a computer program? Why not just use MS Excel? Sorry, I am a SW guy...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote