New
Find
Notify
Tools

the right powder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i'am gonna load some 2 3/4 shells 1 1/4 shot and 3 3/4 dram of powder. what kind of powder do i need to use to make it as powerful as i can get. this is what i was told i needed to use. but this is all new to me so if i'am wrong let me know. i plan to use #4 shot. it's to shoot crows that fly high.

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The type and amount of powder needed will depend on the gauge of the gun, brand of hull being reloaded, and type of wad used. You need to locate a source of load tables and find recipes that match the components you have. Then the powder choice will be obvious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we would need a lot more info- what brand/ type hull- what wad you are using to even start- go to Hodgdens or Alliants web site and check their data

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you are just getting started at this. I highly recomend you pick up a copy of Lyman's 5th Edition Shotgun Shell Reloading book and read the How to section. It will also be filled with the loading data you are asking about. Once you have given that a good read and have checked out the data I think you'll be well on your way. You will also want to pick up a good scale to verify your drops and keep things safe. Of course if you have any questions after reading Lyman's 5th there are good people here that can help with most any question.

Scoutmaster

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend reconsidering the 3 3/4 dram load, a lower velocity will generally pattern better and will subject you to MUCH less recoil. I'd look very closely at duplicating the "pigeon" loads from the old days of live pigeon shoots, they were generally 1 1/4 oz of hard/magnum #6 shot at about 1250 fps. Very good loads, patterned well and hold there patterns at long range.

3-7-77