Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Wad advice
 Login/Join

posted
I had a 20 ga. load that used the WAA20F1 wad that is now discontinued by Winchester. I e-mailed them to inquire if the Winchester WAA20 wad could be used to duplicate that load, but they said they did not have that information. I am thinking that I can use the WAA20 wad, but I'm not sure if other adjustments (all other components being equal) if I will run into pressure problems.

The load:
hull - Federal
primer - W209
powder - 16.5 gr. Unique
shot - 1 oz.
wad - WAA20F1 (now discontinued)

Thanks for the help...
5X

One of Us
posted Hide Post
5x
The problem will be the wad height. A Remington RXP20, or a Fed 20S1 would work.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RXP20 is for 7/8 oz shot. The one ounce wad would be Remington SP20S.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen.
I had not even considered wad height...the WAA20F1 is just a tad shorter than the WAA20.

After looking at all the options I think I can approximate the Federal factory load with Federal components better than anything else.

5X

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, it is for 7/8 but that is the one that was recomended on the Hodgon site.

Hodgdon Link

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox, I see Hodgdon has the Rem SP20 for their 1oz loads with HS-6 and both the RXP and the Rem SP20 for their 1oz loads using Longshot. Looks like they both will work.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
tooooo many "wad" jokes...think i'll leave this one alone...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote