Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

win 296 / hodgdon 110 ??????
 Login/Join

posted
can someone tell me the difference between these two powders plz!!!
i read somewhere that they are the same powder, both are made by hodgdon and 296 is sold as a winchester powder. i'm loading up my 410 shotgun and have 296 powder, but can i use h110 as a direct grain for grain substitute???

thx

Posts: 76 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go ahead and interchange them in your 410 loads, just so you know Hodgdons has NEVER manufactured even one ounce of smokeless powder, never will.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except for normal differences from lot to lot, these are the same powder.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely identical. Same factory, same everything.

There are those who will bullshit you that there is a difference, but as swampshooter said, its just minor lot variance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon's for years has deliberatly misled powder buyers by selling a powder that is made and marketed by another company under another name. Hodgdon's HS 6 was always made by Winchester as their Win 540; likewise Hodgdon's HS 7 was always Winchester's 570. Another Hodgdon's deception is H414 which is Winchester's 760. They probably won't discontinue the charade now that they own the Winchester powders. Apparently their marketing ploy is to have people think that there are two different powders so people will think that they need to buy both kinds, thereby doubling the sales of that one powder. Neat, huh?