New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two questions I'd like to ask here.

First, can any of you provide some available sabots out there for 12ga that use a .50 projectile? I'm talking about the plastic sabot by itself, to save the expense of tearing shells apart and using those. I have emailed Hornady and a few others, but it appears they will not sell me their plastic.

My bigger curiousity is next...Has anyone ever heard of someone producing their own sabots by turning them etc? I'm wondering what characteristics are involved for making a cheap, reliable sabot design that one could make or have made easily and still perform well.

I simply want to experiment with some 12ga sabot designs pushing lightweight rifle bullets .50 cal and smaller (maybe .416 bullets), but I'm not sure how I could accomplish this.

Thanks.

Posts: 25 | Location: Ottawa, IL | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
The OEM's have the sabot technology pretty well locked up. I know of no one selling the plastic sabots. There is loading data for Lyman and Lee's slugs in standard AA type wads.

I hate the +$10/box for slugs but for the small number I shoot per year I live with it.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote