New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quad-0 Buck (0000 Buck) in 12 gauge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody here tried 0000 Buck (.380 pellets) in 12 ga. hulls?

Is there any "factory load" in 12 gauge that uses .380" pellets?

TIA!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
No factory loads that I know of

And for loading it
IMO it would be better to us a smaller size

As .380 would not stack well in a 12 gau hull

As 2 side by side would be .760
Well over the size that would fit in a 12 gau hull

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnch:
No factory loads that I know of

And for loading it
IMO it would be better to us a smaller size

As .380 would not stack well in a 12 gau hull

As 2 side by side would be .760
Well over the size that would fit in a 12 gau hull

John

Thanks, John!

A friend of mine was under the impression that if Triple-0 buck (.360" pellets) worked well in a 12 gauge, Quad-0 (.380" pellets) would work even better.

I tried to explain the diameter/stacking problem...... but he didn't want to believe me.

I've been reloading buckshot in different gauges for many years. If no commercial ammo companies offer a particular buckshot size in a certain gauge, ....... there is a reason they don't!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don - in the 12GA wads you are using what's the typical I.D. ...??. ...seem to be a lot of variation by brand & type. How about the depth of the shot cup ..??

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Don - in the 12GA wads you are using what's the typical I.D. ...??. ...seem to be a lot of variation by brand & type. How about the depth of the shot cup ..??

Segfej, OK, I'll play your silly game. What shot cup do you use for your "Cletus Quad-0 Buck loads"?!!!

Remember, Segfej, it's not up to ME to reverse-engineer YOUR BS "Cletus-Loads"! archer

You say you have used these loads (factory or otherwise) ....... well, then tell us about them, my BSing Rudolph buddy! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Donny-Q ... Cletus says a two plane helix with tangential spheres looks like .7091" assuming your balls are actually a true .380" ... Big Grin

Is your cup big enough to hold those balls Don ...??

If your balls are smaller I'd have to call CletusCo back and have them recalculate. Of course a three plane helix could be most anything you like ... Have you considered measuring you balls and thinking in more than two dimensions Don-Boy ...??

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well Donny-Q ... Cletus says a two plane helix with tangential spheres looks like .7091" assuming your balls are actually a true .380" ... Big Grin

Is your cup big enough to hold those balls Don ...??

If your balls are smaller I'd have to call CletusCo back and have them recalculate. Of course a three plane helix could be most anything you like ... Have you considered measuring you balls and thinking in more than two dimensions Don-Boy ...??

Oh, boy, Rudolph! You're a riot! So they are no longer quad-0 buck (0000 Buck .380")........though that's what you called them originally! Roll Eyes

Keep the BS rolling! diggin dancing

Quite PWNED, you are! Wink

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Brenneke offered it in Germany and in Africa at least. Probably still do. It was popular in Viet Nam if you could get it although it only came in 3". I was told it was dynamite on Wild Boar also. The pattern won't open until after 7 yards and at ten yards is about 4". After that it was a bit wild.

I've never heard the term Quad-0 before. Always just heard 4ought.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator1:
Brenneke offered it in Germany and in Africa at least. Probably still do.

No, Rottweil/Brenneke does not offer (and never did offer) 0000 Buck in 12 gauge. The largest pellets you'll find in German Bucksohot (Postenschrot) is LG. LG is 9.1mm in diameter (.36") or the same as US 000 buckshot.

In fact the largest pellets Rottweil/Brenneke currently offers in 12 gauge is SG/LG which is 8.6mm (.34"). This would be the equivalent of the 00+1/2 buckshot offered by Ballistic Products in the USA.

quote:
Originally posted by Gator1:
It was popular in Viet Nam if you could get it although it only came in 3". I was told it was dynamite on Wild Boar also. The pattern won't open until after 7 yards and at ten yards is about 4". After that it was a bit wild.

I've never heard the term Quad-0 before. Always just heard 4ought.

I doubt very much that 0000 buck in 12 gauge 3" loads was "very popular" in Vietnam...... since no military shotguns issued in that conflict had 3" chambers!

Also there has never been a US military OR commercial loading of 12 gauge 0000 buck in the US. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also there has never been a US military OR commercial loading of 12 gauge 0000 buck in the US

Are you shooooooooo-r .....Donny-Q ...??? rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Also there has never been a US military OR commercial loading of 12 gauge 0000 buck in the US

Are you shooooooooo-r .....Donny-Q ...??? rotflmo

Show me otherwise, Rudolph #3! Wink

PS - Three strikes and you're out, Rudy! Wink