Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ALCAN AL-5
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody know what Alcan AL-5 compares too or how I can use it was with a shotgun press (used my dad bought for me a few yrs ago It had red flakes visible still and smells like gunpowder has been stored in a cool dry place.... How can I figure out load data for it? I know Alcan has been out of business a long time.......Thanks for your time.......

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Illinois, United States of America  | Registered: 15 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got about 3lbs left of a 5lb keg. If I remember correctly, it is a medium/slow burn powder, suitable for 1 1/4oz 12ga loads and some 10ga loads.

I have some older load info at home and I can post it this weekend.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You have any load data for 20 gauge loads for that? Just curious

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Illinois, United States of America  | Registered: 15 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded lots of it under 1-1/4 oz of shot in the 12 ga. I might have some old Alcan and/or Lyman data for the 20 ga but I don't think any of it will be for modern wads and cases.
It is also a good med. speed pistol powder.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
You may well have Red Dot powder in an AL-5 can. Do not load this until you can prove that is not the case. I have not recollection of AL-5 being a flake powder or having red flakes.

The load data is very different between the two and loading Red Dot to AL-5 data would likely be hazardous to your health as it would be a good 50% overcharge.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I says with red flakes on the container its in, that is why i'm confused... i might as well just burn it off safely will do it on the 4th if nothing else......

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I haven't used or seen AL-5 in quite a few years, but I don't remember it having red flakes. I'd be very careful, like others have said, it could be Red Dot. A July 4th celebration seems like the best use for this powder.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I can only find one old can here and it says White Flake Identified.

If the can says Red Flake Identified, AND it doesn't have a sharp or acidic smell AND you can be supervised by an experienced reloader, you can try the following:

If it's Red Dot a seventeen grain charge under a plastic one piece wad with 7/8ths ounce of shot in a 12 gauge hull will be a pretty safe place to start. If it's Red Dot, you will get a (more or less) normal report and recoil. If it's AL-5 you will know for sure it was very light.

If it appears to be AL-5 (very mild report and recoil) work that 7/8 ounce load up one grain at a time until you get to 30 grains then it it seems OK bump the shot to 1 ounce and then to 1-1/8 and then to 1-1/4 watching for signs of pressure excess. If that's OK then you can move up to 32 grains which is what my old Lyman book shows as a normal 1-1/4 ounce load.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to load a lot of AL-5 in 1 1/4 oz. loads. I do not recall red flakes in it and I don't believe it had red flakes. I think you have red dot in an AL-5 can. To load red dot with AL-5 data would blow you and your gun up. They'd probably nick name you Stub.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just thought I might still have some, so I went to my powder cabinet and looked. Sure enough it was there. My can also says white flake identified. The powder is an extremely small flake, dark gray in color with much larger white flakes mixed in. This powder is 40 or more years old and the white flakes are still white in color, or at least creme colored. No red anywhere.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote