New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone order a Tesla Model 3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cant wait to drive them over here ... so far one leaf owner in town and not used it last winter .... never seen a tesla driving on his own up here... maybe one day ...

Posts: 1723 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've have mine ordered since March 2016. Hopeful I'll have it by end of the year. That Porsche looks very nice.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Lot of good points

Range - battery life will improve - why cause consumer electronics - smart phones will drive the technology, why Apple is in auto space - computation technology for self drive and battery technology are its edge. Rumor of new tesla having 600 miles range.

Recharging - Mercedes has wireless charging already. Charging will go the wireless.

Electricity cost - electric cars are crazy effieicmt - 5-6 times regular autos. Adding 10-20 percent electric cars has little impact. Most home charging is at night - off peak power - there is ton of used power at charging time.

Cold weather battery - all battery technology will get better. But tesla and electrics cars are not aimed at all markets however Norway dominates electric car use.

I was not a tesla bull. I invested in traditional auto but I have thrown in the towel. I think we are in a transportation revolution.

Mike

I'm not against electric vehicles as I think that they are the future of all transportation. It's just that battery technology hasn't made the leap to make them usable for everyone. It's not the storage capacity, it's a question of how long it takes a battery to recharge. Once they can make the cars run 300 - 400 miles with a 10 minute or less recharge time there will be no more gas engine cars.

The cost of recharging them is also higher since unless you have a large battery bank on your home you cannot charge the cars at night without paying the retail price from your utility (solar panels won't work at night).

They still won't let you take Lithium batteries in smart luggage etc. on commercial aircraft, what are the dangers of millions of lithium batteries on the road? Our local fire department has specialized training now on hybrid and electrical cars. If they are in an accident, they now ground them by pounding a stake into the ground first because of the danger that the high voltage batteries present to them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12504 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

Lot of good points

Range - battery life will improve - why cause consumer electronics - smart phones will drive the technology, why Apple is in auto space - computation technology for self drive and battery technology are its edge. Rumor of new tesla having 600 miles range.

Recharging - Mercedes has wireless charging already. Charging will go the wireless.

Electricity cost - electric cars are crazy effieicmt - 5-6 times regular autos. Adding 10-20 percent electric cars has little impact. Most home charging is at night - off peak power - there is ton of used power at charging time.

Cold weather battery - all battery technology will get better. But tesla and electrics cars are not aimed at all markets however Norway dominates electric car use.

I was not a tesla bull. I invested in traditional auto but I have thrown in the towel. I think we are in a transportation revolution.

Mike

I'm not against electric vehicles as I think that they are the future of all transportation. It's just that battery technology hasn't made the leap to make them usable for everyone. It's not the storage capacity, it's a question of how long it takes a battery to recharge. Once they can make the cars rum 300 - 400 miles with a 10 minute or less recharge time there will be no more gas engine cars.

The cost of recharging them is also higher since unless you have a large battery bank on your home you cannot charge the cars at night without paying the retail price from your utility (solar panels won't work at night).

They still won't let you take Lithium batteries in smart luggage etc. on commercial aircraft, what are the dangers of millions of lithium batteries on the road? Our local fire department has specialized training now on hybrid and electrical cars. If they are in an accident, they now ground them by pounding a stake into the ground first because of the danger that the high voltage batteries present to them.

Interesting stuff from Porsche

https://newsroom.porsche.com/e...mission-e-14839.html

https://electrek.co/2017/06/26...-vehicles-mission-e/

I may have to get one. Now I just need to make some $$$$.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
me too! Can't stop looking at that car.

some more interesting news

https://newsroom.porsche.com/e...n-contest-14906.html

Sorry. had to! Smiler

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is coming in next few years

https://www.pocket-lint.com/ca...e-future-coming-soon

Could see an entirely electric lineup of Porsche by 2030

https://newsroom.porsche.com/e...tegy-2025-15178.html

I expect there to be a backlog of electric vechiles across all major manufactures making a Tesla quality comparable vechile.

I also expect Elon musk to painfully figure out a way to get model 3 production to at least 200k cars a year.

Tesla next thrown wrench at ice (internal combustion engine) will be its pickup truck.

Next 5-10years should be interesting.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Question. is it cheaper, easier, to have a performance electric car than a gas car?

Posts: 6369 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Question. is it cheaper, easier, to have a performance electric car than a gas car?

Yup

You are getting super car ($1 mil
Plus) performance in $100-$150k cars.

Porsche has said directly it wants it electric cars to comp to Tesla. That itself is a massive complement and validation of how good a product Tesla is making.

I see a world in which Tesla
Quality electric cars as sold and back ordered for months/1-2 years and generic cars start piling up at dealerships.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outside of model 3 most of the high profile electric cars are higher dollar cars.

I expect electrics cars to begin dominating the luxury car suv market.

Having a base in high income consumers you will begin to see electric cars as a way of consumer discriminating. Malls offers better parking and subsidized power to attract higher dollar consumers.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beretta, I think the future will be dictated by China, which has already mandated all electric vehicles:
"The government is targeting 7 million vehicles by 2025."
Tesla already has roof shingles with built in photoelectric receptors. They also have in home battery storage capabilities.
Fluid situation, but the future seems to be pretty clear at this point. Oil is over $66 a barrel so that is not helping the oil faction.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are both ordering Tesla's shortly. I am waiting for the extended range all wheel drive Model 3 and my wife plans on getting the Model Y when released. Gas up here in Canada is just outrageous and with the solar panels we are installing this year we should have enough power for our home and calls to be completely off grid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Beretta, I think the future will be dictated by China, which has already mandated all electric vehicles:
"The government is targeting 7 million vehicles by 2025."
Tesla already has roof shingles with built in photoelectric receptors. They also have in home battery storage capabilities.
Fluid situation, but the future seems to be pretty clear at this point. Oil is over $66 a barrel so that is not helping the oil faction.
Peter.

China is doing it to strategically break oil long term.

India has some Big stated objectives of electrification but in reality it most likely will try get benefit of lower oil prices.

Europe will electrify for environmental reasons

In the us it is going to be market driven - electric cars are just much nicer - a real advancement. Very few people switch back from a Tesla. Tells you everything.

Once the next gen of electrical vechiles introduces suvs and trucks and production gets to 1 mil vechiles a year it will be a game changer.

Already you seeing gas stations adapt - higher end wawa in Florida is adding Tesla superchargers.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p3t3rsn:
My wife and I are both ordering Tesla's shortly. I am waiting for the extended range all wheel drive Model 3 and my wife plans on getting the Model Y when released. Gas up here in Canada is just outrageous and with the solar panels we are installing this year we should have enough power for our home and calls to be completely off grid.

Germany has the same solar energy profile as Fairbanks Alaska. Thru govt subsidies they have managed to make solar 6 percent of electricity generated/produced.

Imagine Florida going solar. One person in m my neighborhood has gone down Tesla solar roof path. When my roof needs to be replaced in 6-8 years I am going all solar. Tesla tiles should be in full production by then.

My f-150 is my last gas powered vechile in my life.

The Tesla is a 120 mile per gallon energy equivalent vechile. It is 5-6 x jump in fuel economy (energy equivalent).

Also electric vechile batteries are tied to consumer electronic/phone battery technology - the area of largest r&d in the world.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Tesla model 3 tear down from an anti Tesla auto guy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...ight-controller/amp/

Makes me want to keep my model 3 order and not switch to a Porsche.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://cleantechnica.com/2018...-competition-in-usa/

I am not saying Tesla is a profitable venture ect.

Just the data shows that Tesla model s is the premier luxury car in the world’s most competitive luxury car market.

That is a validation of the product and electric cars regardless of Tesla’s profitability in making those cars.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Germany has the same solar energy profile as Fairbanks Alaska. Thru govt subsidies they have managed to make solar 6 percent of electricity generated/produced.

Imagine Florida going solar. One person in m my neighborhood has gone down Tesla solar roof path. When my roof needs to be replaced in 6-8 years I am going all solar. Tesla tiles should be in full production by then.

The Tesla is a 120 mile per gallon energy equivalent vechile. It is 5-6 x jump in fuel economy (energy equivalent).

Also electric vechile batteries are tied to consumer electronic/phone battery technology - the area of largest r&d in the world.

Mike

Mike,

not trying to be argumentive but where did you get the same solar energy profile between Fairbanks and Germany?

1- Germany is really different between the north and southern borders.

2- Fairbanks has a big deficit of solar energy during few months of what it s called winter ...

as a matter of fact my solar panels are working well starting mid march not that much in january and february the decline is really visible in november ... cant imagine what my northern cousins of Dawson city or Faribanks are meeting as real solar energy profile during their winters ...

Posts: 1723 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

not trying to be argumentive but where did you get the same solar energy profile between Fairbanks and Germany?

1- Germany is really different between the north and southern borders.

2- Fairbanks has a big deficit of solar energy during few months of what it s called winter ...

as a matter of fact my solar panels are working well starting mid march not that much in january and february the decline is really visible in november ... cant imagine what my northern cousins of Dawson city or Faribanks are meeting as real solar energy profile during their winters ...

It’s was in some initiation sell side report on solar panel industry. I will try to find the source in my notes.

Basically it says Germany has terrible solar profile. But a government bent on reducing carbon profile and Russian gas use move production to solar.

Look at Saudi Arabia teaming up SoftBank to spend massive amounts on solar and they have great solar profile.

Mike