New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone order a Tesla Model 3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking of buying one and putting $1k down.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting to see how these pan out. We bought solar panels this year and our system has been overproducing our use by almost 50% EVERY month. Thinking an electric car might be a good move depending on if they prove reliable.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemtRN5287:
I'm waiting to see how these pan out. We bought solar panels this year and our system has been overproducing our use by almost 50% EVERY month. Thinking an electric car might be a good move depending on if they prove reliable.

I just ordered the model 3.

Went and test drive (the sales guy drove) the model 3.

Two words - f@cking unbelievable

These are damn good cars.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How was the car equipped? Their web site doesnt give up many details.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6589 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
How was the car equipped? Their web site doesnt give up many details.

I have been a tesla hater for a long time - I was stupid. I have made some money trading calls on the short side but I was just plain wrong on the car. I should have test driven it 4 years back - I was stubborn and did not.

We test drove a model S 75.

I have not had a similar experience with a new product. One where I come out and say I have seen the future.

The closest was blaser r-8 at 2008 shot show and I was there much more for work than guns.

The car has great hardware. Tesla has made its battery technology open source. Its amazingly simple - a whole bunch on interconnected lithium ion batteries. This is not space age stuff - this is 15-20 year technology well packaged. This is why a lot of people shorted tesla - its technology is nothing great.

But it is well put together. The power train, interior, battery, it and software - like apple its well put together.

The self drive car is here - it is coming on and it will be exponential when it comes on.

I looked at the tesla 3 for my mom and it is the perfect car for her.

Its simple too - moving pieces are limited. interior is clean and open and it is top notch. My mom has a cadillac cts = the technology interface is terrible. The car is terrible in that she knows nothing about it - its not intuitive at all.

I would recommend car people to go test drive one - cannot explain it any way else.

I sent an email to all my oil and gas people (including a few ceos) - they need to go test drive and even buy one.

It is the future and its impact on energy will be real.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

That's excellent to hear, Mike! When are they projecting delivery?

Posts: 1416 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

That's excellent to hear, Mike! When are they projecting delivery?

Production starts in July. The ramp up laid by ELon Musk is not realistic.

400K deposits are received at $1K a pop.

I think it will be 2019 before I get the option to buy the car - deposit is refundable anytime.

I am just buying the car to try and figure out this whole puzzle.

I think tesla will become like apple - an eco-system product.

People who buys tesla will also get solar and power storage from tesla. Also the community of tesla will have a network effect.

Business will start offering free charging/better parking to tesla owners to get their $$ in the door.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the range of one of these on full charge?
Assuming highway driving at 70 mph.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if $35K gets you a car that has no options? Or does it get you a base car that might need another $10-15K in options to equip it properly?

Did the Tesla salesperson reveal any of this to you? It is an intriguing auto.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6589 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tesla showroom sales experience is kind of strange.

The sales staff is all really young and nice kids.

There is no marketing material of any kind in the show room. Just some clothing to sell.

Everything is on line from information to ordering a car.

The saleskids answered question by asking each other where online they heard something.

This is a strange product but I think it is the future of autos - the electric networked car - tesla may or may not lead it - right now it is the top dog.

Range is 215 miles on model 3 and 315/330 on model s.

This is not a long road trip car but there is cool software to map a trip along superrchargers if one wanted to do it.

I was talking to a CEO of a small public oil and gas company. He is a oil bull. I told him a $70-150k by definition is a discretionary purchase. Why would a tesla owner who spends $80k-$150k on a car today not spend another $50k to generate power for his car via solar panels with a terrible rate return on capital.

Also what is that consumer worth to a restaurant or mall. Top parking spots with free power would be a small price. Tesla has to looked as a eco system not just a car.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk has said average selling price on model 3 will be $45k.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
I have had the Model "S" P90D Ludicrous for a couple of years. I love it. I also have a 20 KW solar panel set up on my roof. The two go hand in hand, Photo follows. Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHIPB:
I have had the Model "S" P90D Ludicrous for a couple of years. I love it. I also have a 20 KW solar panel set up on my roof. The two go hand in hand, Photo follows. Cheers. Chip.

Nice

I can't wait for the model 3 and the solar panel tiles.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top parking spots with free power would be a small price

Doesn't even have to be free. In Canada, in cities where it gets really cold in the winter, they have block/radiator heaters similar to parking meters! Just plug in and put in the money!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't help but wonder if the steady decline in oil prices will slow down the sale and development of hybrids and electric cars in the next decade.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Can't help but wonder if the steady decline in oil prices will slow down the sale and development of hybrids and electric cars in the next decade.

I think it will have zero impact.

The electric car made by Tesla is better than comparable gas cars.

THe purchaser of electrics cars are not economic actors with regard to mileage etc. these cars are damn fuel efficient - like 120 mpg on a comp basis. But is is a $70k car - who cares about fuel efficieny at that price point.

Think about all the ar members who hunt with expensive double rifles - these guns are not accurate or practical but they do it for a experience.

Same way with $50-$100k pickups or suvs - who cares about fuel economy it is irrelevant.

But consumers care - every time I talk to auto company at trade shows or investors presentations - they say consumers care about fuel efficiency when it is irrelevant relative to vehicle cost. See gm f and dodge advertising fuel economy of full size pick ups.

I think something happen to us consumer in 2005-2008 when they had loaded up on inefficient suvs and oil went from $40 to $140. $100 plus fill ups burned their mind just like bad diesel vehicles in 1970s burned the consumer.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't agree that much.

It may be an ecosystem car in highly developed areas. In most of the country, it's not really functional.

My cousin has one of the later high end Teslas, I have driven one.

They are exciting to drive, and if they ever get anywhere with self drive/driver can nap or read or something, that may make an upsurge...but from what I heard, you don't really own a tesla...they own it.

One thing I read was that musk wants to be able to use your car to drive someone else who needs a ride while you are not using it...

Why I don't think this is the future:

One is limited range...300 miles ain't that bad, but 300 miles then wait half an hour for a 70% recharge.... not so good on a long trip, and once these things are more numerous, good luck not waiting at the charger for an opening.

Two, I know way too many folks who forget to fill a gas tank or plug in a cell phone. What happens when you have to recharge your car for 2 hours in the am because junior forgot to plug it in?

Three, it's just plain too expensive. Cost to "buy" then maintenance, then recharging. Mush has his deal now, but when this thing becomes more widespread the recharging costs will likely go up rather than down.

Four, batteries ain't very good in cold weather. Tx and Fl might not notice, but you have to keep your tesla in a heated garage up here to get any kind of battery life in the winter.

If you have enough money, a tesla is a great option for a commuter car, but most folks will need a second gas car or truck for some of their use on a regular basis.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
What is the expected battery life and replacement cost? Thanks.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
What is the expected battery life and replacement cost? Thanks.

http://www.greencarreports.com...the-data-show-so-far

The tesla battery after 500k miles has around a 20 percent degradation according to the tells sales guy. I take everything the tesla sales guys/girls say with a grain of salt as all their info is of the web.

Tesla gives a 8 year warranty.

These battery have been far more durable than the tesla skeptics/short sellers thought.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I don't agree that much.

It may be an ecosystem car in highly developed areas. In most of the country, it's not really functional.

My cousin has one of the later high end Teslas, I have driven one.

They are exciting to drive, and if they ever get anywhere with self drive/driver can nap or read or something, that may make an upsurge...but from what I heard, you don't really own a tesla...they own it.

One thing I read was that musk wants to be able to use your car to drive someone else who needs a ride while you are not using it...

Why I don't think this is the future:

One is limited range...300 miles ain't that bad, but 300 miles then wait half an hour for a 70% recharge.... not so good on a long trip, and once these things are more numerous, good luck not waiting at the charger for an opening.

Two, I know way too many folks who forget to fill a gas tank or plug in a cell phone. What happens when you have to recharge your car for 2 hours in the am because junior forgot to plug it in?

Three, it's just plain too expensive. Cost to "buy" then maintenance, then recharging. Mush has his deal now, but when this thing becomes more widespread the recharging costs will likely go up rather than down.

Four, batteries ain't very good in cold weather. Tx and Fl might not notice, but you have to keep your tesla in a heated garage up here to get any kind of battery life in the winter.

If you have enough money, a tesla is a great option for a commuter car, but most folks will need a second gas car or truck for some of their use on a regular basis.

Lot of good points

Range - battery life will improve - why cause consumer electronics - smart phones will drive the technology, why Apple is in auto space - computation technology for self drive and battery technology are its edge. Rumor of new tesla having 600 miles range.

Recharging - Mercedes has wireless charging already. Charging will go the wireless.

Electricity cost - electric cars are crazy effieicmt - 5-6 times regular autos. Adding 10-20 percent electric cars has little impact. Most home charging is at night - off peak power - there is ton of used power at charging time.

Cold weather battery - all battery technology will get better. But tesla and electrics cars are not aimed at all markets however Norway dominates electric car use.

I was not a tesla bull. I invested in traditional auto but I have thrown in the towel. I think we are in a transportation revolution.

Mike