One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LovesLevers:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Pretty telling that Consumer Reports is having to do Tesla's vehicle development work.

Shows how amazing Tesla Product is that everything can be adjusted with software upgrade.

A generation ahead of anything else out there

https://cleantechnica.com/2018...umer-reports-top-10/

Mike

Hmmmmm.........not really. Some can be controlled with software updates, but not all. This quote was taken from one of the links you provided:

"The publication did not recommend the vehicle, criticising its stopping distance, touchscreen, ride quality, rear seat, and the amount of wind noise it produced while driving at highway speeds, while complimenting its range, handling, and acceleration".

I am neutral on the Tesla brand. Might buy one at some point. But they are not without their critics or flaws.

I think the model s is a much better car.

My model 3 is slowly approaching $70-$80k. May make sense just to get a model s Wink

This is not a $35k car - it is will be a much higher price car in next 2-3 years.

Long term I see this as mainly a automated car.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/3...it-session-high.html

All it took was a software upgrade.

The next generation of cars is already here.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, Consumer Reports has revised it's opinion!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lowering tire pressure for better ride ? FORD did that years ago !! 2020 The old marshmallow ride . But remote change is interesting !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing tech pinning the model 3

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...ight-controller/amp/

Changing the braking via a software update is revolutionary.

Their model Y suv and pick up should be revolutionary too.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
But why would the braking not be optimal to begin with?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
But why would the braking not be optimal to begin with?
Peter.

What is the benchmark that is optimal ?

Tesla can Scale performance via software to different benchmarks - can any other car do that.

Is the model s ludicrous model optimal ?

Consumer report wanted a benchmark for braking - tesla upgraded software to that benchmark. It was built to another benchmark.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beretta, I am not questioning the amazing feat of improving braking via software. THIS is what I am questioning:

"The Tesla’s stopping distance of 152 feet from 60 mph was far worse than any contemporary car we’ve tested and about 7 feet longer than the stopping distance of a Ford F-150 full-sized pickup."

So, what the hell is the benchmark that Tesla was working against. BTW a benchmark is:

"a standard or point of reference against which things may be compared or assessed."

Was Tesla's benchmark 7 feet longer than a Ford F-150 full sized pickup truck??

CR was not asking for a benchmark. Their benchmark was existing vehicles, and Tesla came up short! Maybe that makes you feel warm and fuzzy? Not me. For that amount of money I would hope for excellent braking ie. braking better than comparable vehicles.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beretta, I am not questioning the amazing feat of improving braking via software. THIS is what I am questioning:

"The Tesla’s stopping distance of 152 feet from 60 mph was far worse than any contemporary car we’ve tested and about 7 feet longer than the stopping distance of a Ford F-150 full-sized pickup."

So, what the hell is the benchmark that Tesla was working against. BTW a benchmark is:

"a standard or point of reference against which things may be compared or assessed."

Was Tesla's benchmark 7 feet longer than a Ford F-150 full sized pickup truck??

CR was not asking for a benchmark. Their benchmark was existing vehicles, and Tesla came up short! Maybe that makes you feel warm and fuzzy? Not me. For that amount of money I would hope for excellent braking ie. braking better than comparable vehicles.
Peter

“Musk had acknowledged the brake issue last week, saying that the magazine’s tests had used two early versions of the car and that a firmware update could improve braking distance beyond initial specs.”

https://www.reuters.com/articl...ng-fix-idUSKCN1IV29D

there are 450k deposit/ orders for Tesla Model 3. Companies like gm have killed consumers with faulty products, others like vw have generated false doctored results ect. I tend to buy products after they have been tested by time in the market. Tesla model 3 car number 300k will be better than car number 5k.

Tesla is changing the automotive industry. Destructive capitalism at its finest.

https://www.economist.com/busi...ting-takeover-target

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tesla model 3 car number 300k will be better than car number 5k.

Tesla is changing the automotive industry.

AGREED! Nothing I have said above disagrees with the quote. Sorry, Tesla is a a company not a religion.
Hopefully they will succeed in changing the auto industry, just like the Japanese did years ago, and we will all be better off.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Tesla is changing the automotive industry. Destructive capitalism, using governmental tax and grant advantages, at its finest.

Mike

Fixed it for you.

Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
using governmental tax and grant advantages

YUP! Just like those for oil and gas companies, oil exploration, and oil and gas limited partnerships!! So, what is your point, other than you thinks it's OK for oil and gas but not OK for solar and renewable energy resources.
Last I heard, the whole point of government tax and grant advantages was to encourage their use. Thanks for "fixing it"!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

YUP! Just like those for oil and gas companies, oil exploration, and oil and gas limited partnerships!! So, what is your point, other than you thinks it's OK for oil and gas but not OK for solar and renewable energy resources.
Last I heard, the whole point of government tax and grant advantages was to encourage their use. Thanks for "fixing it"!
Peter.

nilly nilly nilly nilly

I think we can just leave that predictable response of the Tesla faithful for the comedy relief it is!

jumping

No further comment necessary!

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Tesla faithful are in for a rude awakening.

Solar Kool Aid - nilly

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:

Peter.

nilly nilly nilly nilly

I think we can just leave that predictable response of the Tesla faithful for the comedy relief it is!

jumping

No further comment necessary!

clap

Tesla and the Chinese electric car companies have already broken oil. Long run futures are flat and stuck at $50.

All they need to do is move 20-30 percent of cars to electric to decimate oil.

Elon Musk is a man of action Wink

Then you have SoftBank doing 100 plus billion dollar solar projects.

I probably will be solar and off the grid in 5 years.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's just friggin Unamerican!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's just friggin Unamerican!
Peter.

I keep forgetting only getting off the grid by storing 2000 gallons of diesel and a generator is American but having solar and batteries is Californian dancing

California will set the standard with Nevada Arizona and even TX to follow. Florida is too corrupt and stupid to do anything till the market (Tesla) drives it here.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am counting on the federal government to level the playing field. There will be little economic incentive to make the jump.

Georgia and Nevada have already pulled the plug on solar and EV subsidies and most other states will follow suit. Snowflake states like California will continue until they run out of other people's money. Which is not too long in the future.

Seems some are willing to pay 15% to 20% more to go the solar lifestyle. Good for them, but to be adopted widely, the industry has a looong way to go and they will have to fight serious Federal headwinds.

Musk is selling snake oil at the moment.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Musk is selling snake oil at the moment.

At the moment? I'm not sure he's ever done otherwise!

Wink

And to the comment that the oil industry has been broken?

I guess that's why the oil industry is going gang busters here in TX again. More jobs available than people to fill them and currently the biggest restriction on getting the product to market is a shortage of about 18,000 trucks to haul it from the field to the pipeline system! $350 a night hotels through out the Permian Basin in such fine venues as Odessa, Ft. Stockton, and even Pecos! Industry pay rates recovered and now equal to the peak at over $120 per barrel.

Broken indeed!

rotflmo