New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with tricycle motorcycles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
And what is the difference between the traditional one wheel in front two in the back, and the newer two wheels in front one in the back? They ARE expensive and you still get wet!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No these aren't Morgans! You sit on these like a regular motorbike. I am not sure I see the point unless you are old and can't balance any more! A friend of mine has one but I don't want to have this discussion with him!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see the KTM's on the road all the time. Looks like the worst of both worlds.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with KTW. Around here Can Am's are very popular. As you say, maybe the worst of both worlds! I was hoping someone on this site would have one and explain the attraction.
Peter

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Pure speculation on my part, since I don't own one and don't want one, but:

1) In some places the three wheelers aren't classified as motocycles and you therefore don't need a separate or add-on drivers licence. Your car drivers licence is sufficient.
2) Some people, who previously owned motorcycles, are still hooked by the "wind-in-the-air" travel style, but for whatever physical reasons can no longer ride a two-wheeler.
3) Some people want to carry a few cases of beer when they ride.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mate of mine who doesn't have a previous two wheel riding history bought a Can Am recently - didn't ask why.
But at his insistence I took it for a blast.
As a bike rider of 45 years I was sceptical.
But !!! It went like hell and once you got over the weird sensation it cornered well.
Apparently if you disable the tilt cut out mechanism you can get some pretty interesting performance out of them.
I'll stick with my old Beemer though.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Seen just a few weeks ago.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never rode one,but my cousin got a 3 wheeled Harley to replace his soft tail because he tipped it over at a light one day and he had to have help to get it upright again.

Very embarrassing for him. He says it is much more pleasant to drive in stop and go traffic during rush hour and handles passengers better.

XBH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never got the attraction either. Just get a convertible. I'll stick to my Road King.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently on vacation in Thailand and yesterday at a scooter dealership I saw a little 150cc scooter with two wheels on the front!

The tires were only about 12" apart and the bike was rear-wheel drive so I'm not sure what is gained by the dual front tires. Interesting though.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they look cool, but you are at the point of graduating to a 2 door coupe convertible so why not go there? I've got an old Pontiac Solstice and love it. It's got a top if it's raining!

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote