THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    Annoyed by the start/stop feature? Guess what.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annoyed by the start/stop feature? Guess what.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Gasoline engines --- I often wonder how much more horsepower would be available without any pollution attachments added assuming a MSD alone for the timing and spark and of course a separate computer and sensors to control the signals for the variable overhead valves. Same everything else, port size, etc. My guess is that the difference is 10% or more in parasitic loss.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well with the help of a Magnuson supercharger on a 6.4 liter Hemi in a Jeep GC SRT, it went from 429 hp at the wheels to 548 hp. But I am still running a Borla Cat Back system. Without the CC and another 5 pounds of boost I could easily pull a reliable 600 hp out of the 6.4 liter but I would not pass emissions. With serious go fast parts a 1,000 hp from this engine is quite doable.

Screw the EPA and bring on the speeding tickets. Cool

But you're correct, a stock engine can easily gain 15% or more with a cold air kit, CC delete, headers and some minor ECU tuning.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Regardless of a customer selectable option, it will always be a simple ECU fix. But may cost a buck or two.

They are the most annoying feature on cars today - thanks to the friggen EPA.

What’s an ECU fix?

A few years back there was an ad in the newspaper for someone to work on ECU matters for off-road vehicles. I went over with an oscilloscope to audition for the gig, but cleared out quick when I realized that he was doing street cars as well and the gig was a potential hazard to my PE license...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a bazillion ECU and TCU tuners on the market today. Plug one into to your OBDII port and you can remap your entire engine and transmission. It saves the base tune so that you can restore it back to stock.

I used one on my supercharger addition to get the base tune then the engine dyno guys did a final tune with all the changes with cold air kit and exhaust.

Used to be stuff of electro/mechanical wizardry is now plug and play.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
For now mine will stay bone stock. Torque curve is nice and smooth for normal driving & the occasional 'goose' of the throttle. There is 0 turbo lag at any rpm, paddle shift response is very good, and the 362 max hp is not bad even in a 2.5 ton vehicle. Car doesn't feel that heavy.
Adding another 50-60 hp might barely be noticeable. I doubt that any tune would set me back in the seat. Too few pistons and displacement.
God, I miss the torque/hp of my 347 roller SBF.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I love some of the cars they put this feature on. You're going to tell me your 7L V8 is appreciably more efficient shutting off at the stoplights? C'mon, man.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Yes, it's on all the 2020's I think. I hate the "feature" too. But you can pay extra to fix it on your new car.

Hate the ethanol too. All the problems you cited already, plus it fouls up the carburetors on all my small engines.

It’s not on my 2020 ZL1 Camaro

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote