New
Find
Notify
Tools

New PCM in an old car
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My 95 Lincoln Town Car is not yet a classic but it certainly isn't a 4x4, so I will put this topic in this section. I have the aforementioned Lincoln and it only has 75,000 miles on the clock and shines like a new dime. Anyway, the check engine light came on several years ago and I took it to a local garage and they scanned the OBD and told me the 2nd gear shift solenoid was causing too much resistance and needed to be replaced. They did the job and shut the check light off but warned me that if it came back on that it was probably a poor connection in the wiring harness to the transmission. The light did come back on a couple months later, so I went to a local auto parts store and borrowed their OBD scanner and sure enough it threw the same code as before the work was done. I have driven the car a couple years with the check engine light on but haven't liked it, so this spring I drove it to a different garage to have them sort out the wiring harness. They charged me $90 and said one connection had moisture in it that they repaired it but also said the light will come back on because the PCM (computer) was faulty. They gave me a quote of $469 to install a remanufactured PCM. I let it go until a couple weeks ago and found an outfit on-line that remanufactures them. I ordered the unit for $71 shipped with a lifetime warranty and the unit arrived yesterday. I spent two hours changing the part out this morning, and I am getting old and not so limber any more, and figure a garage could probably do it quicker than me. Should an auto shop make $199 per hour for their work? Maybe I am getting old and out of sinc with modern times but this just doesn't seem kosher to me.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have no idea but I remember when I was in my teen's in late 1970's that home renos were 3x material. Now it's closer to 10+x material.

Posts: 6368 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
My 95 Lincoln Town Car is not yet a classic but it certainly isn't a 4x4, so I will put this topic in this section. I have the aforementioned Lincoln and it only has 75,000 miles on the clock and shines like a new dime. Anyway, the check engine light came on several years ago and I took it to a local garage and they scanned the OBD and told me the 2nd gear shift solenoid was causing too much resistance and needed to be replaced. They did the job and shut the check light off but warned me that if it came back on that it was probably a poor connection in the wiring harness to the transmission. The light did come back on a couple months later, so I went to a local auto parts store and borrowed their OBD scanner and sure enough it threw the same code as before the work was done. I have driven the car a couple years with the check engine light on but haven't liked it, so this spring I drove it to a different garage to have them sort out the wiring harness. They charged me $90 and said one connection had moisture in it that they repaired it but also said the light will come back on because the PCM (computer) was faulty. They gave me a quote of $469 to install a remanufactured PCM. I let it go until a couple weeks ago and found an outfit on-line that remanufactures them. I ordered the unit for $71 shipped with a lifetime warranty and the unit arrived yesterday. I spent two hours changing the part out this morning, and I am getting old and not so limber any more, and figure a garage could probably do it quicker than me. Should an auto shop make $199 per hour for their work? Maybe I am getting old and out of sinc with modern times but this just doesn't seem kosher to me.

How did you figure $199 per hour? Your reasoning is not sound.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"How did you figure $199 per hour? Your reasoning is not sound."

The shop wanted $469 part and labor to do what I did myself for 71$ (part) and 2 hrs. of work to install it. $469-$71= $399/2= $199.50 per hr.

Even if they would have marked the part up to $110 and charged me $80/ hr labor the estimate should have been around $260.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most shops are in the neighborhood of $100+ per hour. Parts markups vary. A lot of the discount auto parts store's parts ain't very good. If I install a part for you I'm also offering a labor warranty. If I buy a junk rebuild, I have to do the labor again for free even though I didn't make the part. So, I try not to put sub par parts on my customer's cars.

From your post:
Even if they would have marked the part up to $110 and charged me $80/ hr labor the estimate should have been around $260.

I believe you need to check your math.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His math looked fine to me considering rounding and the qualifier "around"!

Appears to me the were trying to take advanrage of you on the parts installation. However, butchlambert makes an excellent point with regards to the installation, and his labor warranty, on substandard parts. Perhaps the outfit you considered for the making of repairs added extra because of this.

quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Most shops are in the neighborhood of $100+ per hour. Parts markups vary. A lot of the discount auto parts store's parts ain't very good. If I install a part for you I'm also offering a labor warranty. If I buy a junk rebuild, I have to do the labor again for free even though I didn't make the part. So, I try not to put sub par parts on my customer's cars.

From your post:

I believe you need to check your math.

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
It's not uncommon these days for someone to charge by the job. Unless he gave you a receipt with the detailed charges listed then it was probably a set price. About the costs that you quoted, I think you may have forgot to add in the diagnosis fee of $90.
Had you gone directly to a Ford dealership that lives and breathes Fords to begin with, you may have paid less or equal overall and gotten a part & labor warranty to boot, saving time in the process. Sometimes, not always, it pays to go to the top.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5087 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
It's not uncommon these days for someone to charge by the job. Unless he gave you a receipt with the detailed charges listed then it was probably a set price. About the costs that you quoted, I think you may have forgot to add in the diagnosis fee of $90.
Had you gone directly to a Ford dealership that lives and breathes Fords to begin with, you may have paid less or equal overall and gotten a part & labor warranty to boot, saving time in the process. Sometimes, not always, it pays to go to the top.

Not sure about that "pays to go to the top" comment.

EVERY TIME I've ever taken my vehicle to a stealership, ooops, I mean, dealership, for repairs, it has come out with more things wrong with it than when it went it. I swore off of stealership service long ago, unless it's a warranty issue.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
We had a great Ford place nearby when I still drove Fords. Then they sold out to a large corporate dealer and the brand was renamed and the new owners built a fancy new place and that was the end of good deals.

Then I discovered another dealer that "lives and breathes Fords" and is family owned and operated for several decades. Never tried to hook us on inspection parts or unwarranted service. That was 10 years ago. I still hear they are honest.

I agree about the high percentage of 'stealerships'. Most are all about the money. Not only Fords, Benzes, etc,also local inspections shops, all can try and rip you off. Benz shops all attempt more service or parts now. Some to the tune of $5000 or more. It's a shame how they take advantage of the uneducated.
But, no other car is a Benz. So, I do my due diligence and consider myself fortunate enough to be able to ward off the unnecessary.

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

Not sure about that "pays to go to the top" comment.

EVERY TIME I've ever taken my vehicle to a stealership, ooops, I mean, dealership, for repairs, it has come out with more things wrong with it than when it went it. I swore off of stealership service long ago, unless it's a warranty issue.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5087 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Luckyducker, could I get a name or contact info from you for the company selling the PCM?

Thanks!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, the company is Flagship1 and here is a link to the on-line store www.fs1inc.com

Dennis
Life member NRA