New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blast from the past...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got an interesting phone call last night.

Back in the early/mid-seventies I was sort-of collecting the NASCAR specials. Gas was high, and those monster motors were serious guzzlers. 10/11:1 compression was not compatible with the crap gas.

Anyway, I owned a maroon Talladega Torino with bench seat and column shift auto 428CJ. And a white 4-speed one with buckets and a very limited 427 single 4-barrel. The other side of the barn had a really ugly dark green color Charger 500 with green interior and a 440 4-barrel/4-speed. The car had air and all the power goodies.

These cars were sitting on lots for $500-600 with no takers.

Anyway, I decided to get married in summer of '76 and sold them, a Torino Cobra 428 4-speed that was my daily driver, and a '67 primrose yellow XKE coupe to finance a house. The maroon sold to a Ford guy about an hour away that had a couple Cobras and some other neat stuff.

Last night, the guy who bought it from him in 1985 called me. He was researching the history of the car, and the State of Illinois DMV sent him copies of all the titles.

Complete rotisserie restoration, back to the original maroon, everything correct except the dog dish hubcaps with the "T" emblem.

It was kind of neat to see the pictures of the car. That front seat saw a lot of action about forty-years ago.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote