Find
Notify
Tools

Porsche 986 or 987 advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
I've definitely decided a Boxster is in my future in the near term. My best analysis tells I need to be looking at 2003 or newer. I do need to keep it affordable (12 - 15k range). When did the IMS problem get solved? That worries the hell out of me as far as possible encountering a catastrophe. I'm sold on Porsche for this kind of vehicle.

Any suggestions from some experienced owners? Should I wait for just a few years until I can afford a 987?

Citius, altius, fortius

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not own a Porsche.

I bought a new one and the shift handle came right out of the floor. The design was inferior and the steel cup that held the ball on the end of the handle wore through after only a few thousand miles.

The car was frozen dead in the driveway. No way to shift it into any gear.

I ordered one from Porsche and it did not come in.

My late dad who had a tool and die shop and was a welder made a new cup and welded it to the old base stamping.

It worked right away.

I kept the one my dad made after the part finally came in then I sold that junk Porsche.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at this topic for a discussion of a real car!

A car that is useful.

Hemi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The IMS is really fixed in about 2009 or 2010. Some earlier cars had a factory fix and some had other fixes applied. So one with records and history is best.

Having just spent a couple of days driving and testing in several new Porsche cars on the racetrack including a Boxster, a 911 Turbo, and the " I already knew I would like it" Cayman GTS, I can say without any reservation to get a newer Porsche. The new Cayman GTS is quite a sportscar. Not a drag car but a sportscar. The Spyder Box is a nice car too and moves it booty.

You know the rule in Porche is " Get the newest one you can afford " and it still applies IMO. Unless you are looking for big appreciation and flip sales but much of that is gone and I don't know about you , but I don't want to pay $150,000 - $200,000 for an older 911 turbo and hope I can sell it for more.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Planet 9 and read up on the years. There is lots of info there.

http://www.planet-9.com/

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is IMS

Posts: 1283 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a bearing on the shaft. When it goes, it can and does take the engine with it. Which is an expensive replacement obviously.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I agree. I bought my wife a GTS and wish I had bought one for myself instead of my 911. An absolutely fantastic car. Only one complaint- She bitches that she can only get 8 bags of feed in the back unlike the 14 in her GL 450 (a POS IMO).

I would never buy a used sports car as those with low mileage have had hard miles with every small dick show-offing their friends around, high revving without proper warm up. And those with high mileage tend to rattle as would any real sport car with a non compliant chassis.

Never drove the Boxster. The Cayman is a nice little car (had a loaner), not as rough as a 911, but scampers around pretty well when you take it to the edge.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
A car is a personal choice,it's a private decision & we all make it every few years,you get what you pay for in most cases,I am on my second Porsche now,both bought used,the first a Carrera "s",& now I drive a 911 Turbo,my next car will also be a Porsche.
At 57 yrs of age,you can bet that I have driven my fair share of cars,sports & otherwise,I enjoyed driving the Carrera,my previous car was an M5,but the Turbo takes it to a whole different level,there are other really decent cars out there,but for my money,my next car will be a Porsche beer

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real engine.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
There are 2 things wrong with that picture:

The first is that "American Muscle" should only be measured in cubic inches.......

The second is that you're 4 cylinders shy of a real engine.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This topic is about what Mr. O'Grady wants for a sports car.

I need to know how he uses cars, what cars he needs and for what?

Going back a lifetime ago when I bought a new Porsche to have a cool sports car I found that it was so limited and made my other activities difficult.

Thus soon after my new Porsche 912 was broken down for over a month I got a used Chev. Caprice that turned out to be far more useful for everything else except trying to look 'cool'.

Thus I used the Caprice for hunting, shooting, building up North and work.

When my late dad made the new part so I could shift the 912 I put it in and sold the 912.

For a 'sports' car I got a new 1969 Ford XL convertible with their famous 429, air, posi. etc.

It was infinitely superior to the pathetic tiny 912.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
This topic is about what Mr. O'Grady wants for a sports car.

I need to know how he uses cars, what cars he needs and for what?

Going back a lifetime ago when I bought a new Porsche to have a cool sports car I found that it was so limited and made my other activities difficult.

Thus soon after my new Porsche 912 was broken down for over a month I got a used Chev. Caprice that turned out to be far more useful for everything else except trying to look 'cool'.

Thus I used the Caprice for hunting, shooting, building up North and work
When my late dad made the new part so I could shift the 912 I put it in and sold the 912.

For a 'sports' car I got a new 1969 Ford XL convertible with their famous 429, air, posi. etc.

It was infinitely superior to the pathetic tiny 912.

That is an awful amount of type (wasted) trying to justify something that has nothing to do with the OP. Sorry Savage, you need to seriously consider an upgrade, or a life. the next thing you are gonna start touting how great the savage 99 is, oh oops. Sorry about that

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jon,

My post is indeed on topic.

Since the OP has not yet responded with how he uses cars I figured a sports car would be his only car.

My response says that a larger performance car will be more useful.

Smiler

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you are right- as long as your driving in a straight line....and the 912 was a pathetic attempt at a Porsche for the masses. 4 cylinders of underpowered engine. not a valid comparison to those with decent power.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm siding with Dollar here. Of course I drive a late model Jaguar XK-8 convertible and I have a Harley, so it is plain that style takes precedence...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
you are right- as long as your driving in a straight line....and the 912 was a pathetic attempt at a Porsche for the masses. 4 cylinders of underpowered engine. not a valid comparison to those with decent power.

Are you talking about the 912 or a Freudian slip/poke at the boxster............

The 912 was indeed unimpressive.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Porsches have come a long way. Since they went water-cooled, the 911 is very dependable unless you start hammering on them. A friend had owned both air-cooled and several water cooled 911's and the difference is night and day in both feel and dependability. They are just different animals. He still owns a 2003 he bought new that he never revs over 4,000. This car is still very tight even though it is a convertible. But, it is AWD and a bit less nimble than the C2. I drove a near new rental Boxster a couple years ago and it was great, just smoked a bit. It felt more jittery than the 911's I've driven. The 911 ride is smoother IMO. Those 2wd 1999 to 2003 Carrera coupes s are a good buy if you can bump your budget up to the $22,000 range. They just seem to stop dropping value when they hit $17,000 or so if they are kept decent with even over 100,000 miles. That doesn't seem to be the case with Boxsters. Seems to be more downside on those. Drivetrain history is most important. Good luck. BTW.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5081 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote