Find
Notify
Tools

New Car Arrived Yesterday
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Beautiful car. Bet it love’s twisty roads.
Are the mirror covers carbon fiber?

Posts: 1066 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nvmichael:
Beautiful car. Bet it love’s twisty roads.
Are the mirror covers carbon fiber?

No. Fiberglass.

There is a little CF in the interior and the black roof is CF.

There is an option for the rear hatch in CB but it does away with the window and replaces it with open slats. Saves 40 lbs and Lotus is all about "lightness". But I like seeing the red supercharger and engine through the hatch window.

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I like seeing the red supercharger and engine through the hatch window

Yeah!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best car I ever owned was a 1969 Europa S2. It had amazing handling.

Posts: 456 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd here's another one for you...
(we're going to need pictures of it in the garage)
https://www.motorauthority.com...-cs-heads-to-auction

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Todd here's another one for you...
(we're going to need pictures of it in the garage)
https://www.motorauthority.com...-cs-heads-to-auction

Man, that's a nice one isn't it?

Fact is, when I bought this new Lotus, I was looking to upgrade my 2002 Viper to one of the newer ones. There are quite a few 2013 / 2014 cars out there that have never been titled. I was actually deep in negotiations to purchase a 2014, red with tan interior, 1,500 miles when the dealership sold it to someone else without warning. So I went looking for other makes / models and found the Lotus.

As happy as I am with the new car, and that is very much so, I still would like to add a latest generation Viper to the man cave. I've already measured and determined that a 2 car stackable lift will fit.

sofa

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
One more time...
https://www.autoevolution.com/...k-153718.html#agal_0

I've had a couple of Vette's. My youngest son has had a couple also, including a C7 now. They are probably the best bang for the buck performance wise, and that includes the Italian marks.

2 hits against them for my tastes, 1) everyone and his kid brother has one and 2) no manual in the new C8. One of the reasons I prefer the Viper to the Vette is that they are much more rare. At least on the Gen II I had, it was a 100% analog car as well. No driver aids. It was a knuckle dragging beast, void of creature comforts other than a very marginal air conditioning system and a stereo you couldn't hear over the roar of the engine anyway!

Cool

For me, when I shop for a performance car, the first thing I do is eliminate any paddle shift vehicles. I had a Ferrari 599 a few years ago. It was a great machine. Very fast, and quick. But being paddle shift, you had to get it close to the limit for it to start feeling "sporty".

Again, my opinion only, but with a paddle shift car, the fun is at the upper end of the performance spectrum. With a manual shift car, the fun is between 40 and 100 mph, and you can get all the fun you want driving public twisty / winding roads, focusing on shifting / clutch / brake / throttle coordination without endangering yourself, the car, or others on the road.

I really wish they would have put a manual shift in the new C8. I think there is currently too much focus on 0-60 and claimed lap times and not enough on the driver / car engagement experience for the sake of the driving experience itself, especially considering 95% of the owners do not track their cars.

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Last one. I promise. You better hurry Smiler
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/w...-dodge-viper-prices/

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last one. I promise. You better hurry Smiler
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/w...-dodge-viper-prices/

I'm seeing the same thing with Vipers. When I sold my Gen II after buying my Lotus, I was able to get the same money I bought it for 8 years and 40,000 miles ago. Looking at the Gen V Vipers, they used to go in the $80,000 range with anything more than a couple of thousand miles on them. Now, those cars are pushing $100K and the cars with less than a thousand miles are in the $120's.

The one that was sold while I was negotiating for it was a red with tan interior and the high performance carbon fibre aero package. It was listed at $79K and had 13,000 miles. Since it sold, there have been 2 other red with tan examples, neither of which had the aero package. One with similar miles sold for $99K and the other with less than 1,000 miles sold for $129K!!

That is one factor in my desire to get a Gen V while I still have the Lotus. I do think long term they are going to appreciate. And there is nothing on the market like a Viper in terms of shear rawness!!

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
1997 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe Hits Auction Block With Only 17 Miles

https://hypebeast.com/2021/1/1...17-miles-bat-auction

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, my neighbor in Alaska used to be the GM of the local Dodge/Chrysler dealership. He had an early model Viper with less than 10 miles on it. Bought it and had it trucked to his house and parked it swearing never to drive it. Never understood it to be honest. When I left Alaska in 2013 he still had it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6589 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting, my neighbor in Alaska used to be the GM of the local Dodge/Chrysler dealership. He had an early model Viper with less than 10 miles on it. Bought it and had it trucked to his house and parked it swearing never to drive it. Never understood it to be honest. When I left Alaska in 2013 he still had it.

Perfect for the snow.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

I don't understand it either. You don't see it often with cars like Vipers, but Ferrari owners are notorious for buying cars and never putting any miles on them.

Vipers are meant to be driven ... hard! It's one of the most rewarding driver experiences out there. The only reason I got rid of mine was to upgrade to a newer one. But I got sidetracked in the process. Love the new Lotus. Best car I've ever owned. But I still want to add a Gen V Viper.

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Watch a 1300-hp Dodge Viper Obliterate Its Tires

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/w...th-twin-turbo-power/

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Once a jet jockey always a jet jockey...Todd the best Mike...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote