Find
Notify
Tools

Khaman-Ghia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
This might should go on the humor forum but I think folks here will appreciate it just the same. Years ago I had a buddy that was a VW mechanic dealership here in town + he made the observation that EVERY Ghia that you see has a least one dent in it. So I started to look. This was in the 70s when Ghias were still around + damned if he wasn't right. EVERY single one I saw had a dent somewhere on the body, which started a running joke about the last guy on the assembly line was Hans with his ball peen hammer.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I was always fascinated by these cars when young. It did seem a lot of them were parked in front of foreign auto repair shops, though.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My oldest son has a 1970 Kharman Ghia that he bought a couple years ago that needs total restoration but he has never started this project. There are always other more important things to spend time and money on it seems. It doesn't have any dents on the body but a lot of rust.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Ghias were fun. I always wanted a "Thing". The VW originally known as the Kubelwagon + was supposedly designed by Rommel. Neat car. I haven't seen any of those since the 70s either.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite true Bill. I have owned many Type one VW's (beetle) over the years + I have found that a common malady was in the clutch/pressure plate assembly + in those days I was always broke so had to learn to work on them myself. I got so tired of having to jack the car that I cut out the cross member behind the motor so I could just slide it back to change out the assembly. That being said, the flywheel nut which has to go was 30MM + NOTHING else would suffice. This is in the early 70s + then that socket from Snap-On cost me $50.00. I always said after that last one that if I ever consider getting another type 1 someone will come up behind me + kick me in the ass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This brings back some memories. I used to own a 63 Karma Ghia in my youth. The original engine died on me, coincidentally a few miles from a VW dealership. I pushed it to the shop (it was light and I was young), luckily they had one German factory rebuilt engine left. Ran like a top after the install. Hated to sell it later, but I needed a truck.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some vehicles like some guns, we all have some regrets about ones we let go.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
the flywheel nut which has to go was 30MM + NOTHING else would suffice. This is in the early 70s + then that socket from Snap-On cost me $50.00.

Twenty years ago I was in college and I sold parts in an auto parts store that specialized in imports. We sold a lot of VW parts. I can clearly remember that we sold a 30mm flywheel socket for less than $5. I believe it was Empi brand.

VW air cooled parts and tool were dirt cheap if you purchased from a dedicated supplier. If you when through a general parts(or tool) supplier you were going to pay a lot more.

For example, valve cover gaskets for a 1600 were less than a dollar at our shop. If you went to a NAPA type chain store you would pay $10 for the same quality gasket in a Fel-pro box.

I always thought the Karman-Ghia was a beautiful car. I never owned a VW though.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VWs got me through my early needs for transportation. I had probably 4-5 bugs and a Karmann Ghia. JC Higgins had all the parts and rebuild kits you needed by mailorder. We'd often buy a case of beer and head over to a friend's house to swap out motors or put on headers and bigger carbs. They were simple as a car can get.

The Ghia was a VW fashion statement and a step above a bug, but they were very prone to rust.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they were + as a direct result after the floor pans rusted out so did the steel brake lines which were in contact. Jbrown, I know one could buy cheaper but I have always been a tool whore + I buy the best that will last me a lifetime even if I skimp + buy a piece of shit car. You know back in the late 60s early 70s they were the hippie cars. One day I asked a friend of mine who was a VW mechanic at the dealership why VW's ad so inferior brakes than all the other cars out there. Terry told me these words of wisdom. The VW brakes are as good as any car; the difference is in the quality of people who drive them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A case in point; in 1974 I worked with a guy, Ron Janus that was the most hippie get stuff for the free guy I ever met. For his groceries, he would dumpster dive, REALLY! ( even when Willie had his 4th of July picnic in 74 there was Ron with a truckload of melons from some dumpster selling out of the back of his 1941 truck. I'm sorry a long way around the barn. Before Ron had the 41 he had a VW van w/NO brakes. He would just downshift + there open the door + put his foot out to stop the car. Now, this was a white man just as I am, so I have no raciaL ax to grind. We still have a term down here called "White Trash".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs--Was that JC Higgins or JC Whitney?

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Started my career at an independent VW shop and then the dealership. I had a Type4 Karmann Ghia, but my favorite was a 1963 That I installed Porsche 4 wheel disc brakes, Hewland Transmission, and a RX4 Rotary with Racing Beat speed equipment. Empi was big in the old days, but I preferred Gene Berg for my needs.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the mid-60s I had a 2nd cousin that worker for VW on Colorado + he had built up a solid chrome Porshe motor to install in his VW type 3. Certainly not sporty but the motor was sweet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was that JC Higgins or JC Whitney?

DOH! JC Higgins is the name of the rifles that Butchloc coveted, before his addiction to Mossbergs :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I saw a like-new restored Karmin Ghia on the highway. They even took out Han's ball-peen hammer finishing touch. I haven't seen one in years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
In the mid-60s I had a 2nd cousin that worker for VW on Colorado + he had built up a solid chrome Porshe motor to install in his VW type 3. Certainly not sporty but the motor was sweet.

Chrome Porsche motor in a Type 3? That being the case the engine cover behind the rear seat couldn't be used. Must have been very hot, stinky, and noisy.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't know, I never rode in it. I just saw him showing it off + it was a very slick looking motor.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Chrome gets super hot and stays hot. Jet Hot coating is cooler both in appearance (satin shimmer) and literally. It cools very quick if you can afford the much higher cost of it.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Yeah. Chrome gets super hot and stays hot. Jet Hot coating is cooler both in appearance (satin shimmer) and literally. It cools very quick if you can afford the much higher cost of it.

I imagine only the sheet metal cylinder covers and cooling fan housing were plated. The Porsche engine cyls were aluminum with cast iron sleeves.