THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    Bronco II is here --- How about those Cayman's?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bronco II is here --- How about those Cayman's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Got one? Had one? Love 'em? Hate 'em? What? The S rides too stiff? I have been leaning towards a used one with under 50K miles. But, may consider a higher mile car. Experiences, opinions and recommendations all appreciated as usual. Thanks.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Anything Porsche should not disappoint,I did road test one years ago,a little noisy with the mid engine but otherwise performed well,I am on my second 911,this one is a Turbo,it just flat out works like you want it to,I drive hard,no maintenance issues,rock solid & nothing touches it on the road,50,000 miles so far.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
custombolt - If you do decide to purchase used, it is best to get some wisdom from the a Porsche forum on that particular year. Just about every import seems to have an Achilles heel that is an expensive fix. Especially the IMS bearing.

Good luck! tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for looking out for me Opus1.
IMS bearing issues are something I'm familiar with in Porsche's along with weeding out sour deals/cars. I could go on. Dogs to deals ratio has been probably 10 over 2.
Keep 'em coming. Nobody knows everything about every thing, especially me. Still learning....

CB

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Porsche's have been the most trouble free cars I've ever owned.

I bought my wife a Cayenne GTS in 2013, an absolutely great vehicle. I just traded it in this year after she put 98,000 trouble free miles.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I've been to the Porsche forum and of course Benz forums and others. Those two are great unlike some of the generic dependability reports and chat room opinions I've read over the years. Lots of trash out there. Many don't even specify the mileage or even model. Then of course there is the hater group whom have never even owned the model in question and still trash it at will. Nothing beats hands on experiences from folks I'm familiar with.

Thank you all for adding to my chat.
Might be a Porsche in our future.
CB

quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
custombolt - If you do decide to purchase used, it is best to get some wisdom from the a Porsche forum on that particular year. Just about every import seems to have an Achilles heel that is an expensive fix. Especially the IMS bearing.

Good luck! tu2

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
The Spyders and some 911s were potential IMS
candidates before 2007. The Turbos had a different set up and were IMS trouble free. 2007 was the
cut off year.

Still miss my 1956 -356.

Posts: 350 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned several and currently have a 2015 manual GTS. I lost interest in the platform when they went with 4 cylinder turbos, although the current GTS with a 4 liter flat 6 is appealing. I’m no expert, but I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have. Just PM me and we can discuss if you’re interested.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks WBT and everyone else.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
4 liters should get up nicely. Yeah. 4 cylinder turned me off as well.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 S. Purchased it after a red light runner totaled my C6 Grand Sport. The car is probably a better car for racing around a track than my Vette was, but I much prefer the C6. Can’t do it for another year but I’ll be trading back to a Corvette. Maybe a C8.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks John,

I have heard that the ride is firm. Guess I just need to drive one. Gettin' a little tender in the back at 66.

CB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wanting a high performance sports car with a nice ride? My 2017 Boxster S is perfectly comfortable and scoots.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well Boxhead. If I can find a low miles 1989 or 1990 Bronco II in excellent shape before the new Broncos settle down in price, I may just buy one of those and then trade the 2017 GLE AMG43 on a late model low-miles Boxster. The standard ones are good enough for me. But, if an S in the right colors comes up, I won't walk away. But, things may change. Buying/searching for a used vehicle can be a marathon sometimes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WBT:
I’ve owned several and currently have a 2015 manual GTS. I lost interest in the platform when they went with 4 cylinder turbos, although the current GTS with a 4 liter flat 6 is appealing. I’m no expert, but I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have. Just PM me and we can discuss if you’re interested.

The little 4 is quicker...

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
4 cylinder is quicker. Interesting.
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
quote:

The little 4 is quicker...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The smaller turbos produce more torque and are quick. The same can be said about choosing the PDK over a manual transmission. However, both of those detract from the unquantifiable driving experience in my opinion. It's not all about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. If it were, I would have bought a GTR a long time ago.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
The smaller turbos produce more torque and are quick. The same can be said about choosing the PDK over a manual transmission. However, both of those detract from the unquantifiable driving experience in my opinion. It's not all about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. If it were, I would have bought a GTR a long time ago.

Hear Hear!! Long live the manual transmission. Screw 0-60 times. At least for me, it's all about the experience of the drive. I've had paddle shift cars, including a Ferrari 599. Preferred my Viper at the time because I like to row my own gears. Currently driving a 2020 Lotus Evora GT with manual transmission. Yeah, they offer that car with paddle shift, but then again, why bother.

A sports car should be raw, thrilling, invigorating, and inspiring. When you park it at the end of a driving session, it should beckon you to take one last look before turning off the garage light and you should feel a desire for more about an hour after putting her away. That feeling doesn't come from 0-60 times or paddle shifting a car that's had all of it's personality numbed out of it with refinement.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yeah. 0-60 times get too much credit. Same with horsepower. I wonder how many people don't know that the HP rating on any car is the maximum harsepower. Torque doesn't get enough attention from the general public.
We now return to our regularly scheduled program. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Hear Hear!! Long live the manual transmission. Screw 0-60 times. At least for me, it's all about the experience of the drive. I've had paddle shift cars, including a Ferrari 599. Preferred my Viper at the time because I like to row my own gears. Currently driving a 2020 Lotus Evora GT with manual transmission. Yeah, they offer that car with paddle shift, but then again, why bother.

A sports car should be raw, thrilling, invigorating, and inspiring. When you park it at the end of a driving session, it should beckon you to take one last look before turning off the garage light and you should feel a desire for more about an hour after putting her away. That feeling doesn't come from 0-60 times or paddle shifting a car that's had all of it's personality numbed out of it with refinement.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well the plan to buy a 1989 or 1990 Bronco II (just for hunting) is going to take a while I'm affraid. Pickin's are slim for nice straight cars and most all are way out on cloud nine price wise even for ones with a re-paint.
Have fun with your toys gents.
CB