New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kawasaki 300 hp bike
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Supposed to be for track only but I would guess you see a SC on a street bike within 2 years.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014...014-motorcycle-show/

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
amazing. the last bike I rode was in 1983. Honda v twin, 500cc I think. belonged to someone else, just glad I didn't crash.

Posts: 6373 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hold my breath. Kawasaki showed a prototype turbo-diesel based on the old straight six that was over 200 horse during the last oil crisis.

They had to stick ABS and a computer that held back horsepower in first and second gears on the last ZX-14.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My buddy chipped his BKing, then un-chiped it.

With the chip in the bike would leave you in the road.

Posts: 6373 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I was amazed 30 years ago when Honda and Maico were building 60hp motorcycles that weighed 230or so lbs.

Posts: 9050 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

This one only had 200hp but would do 9 seconds at 150mph all day long.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ninja 1000 is plenty bike for me. Can still scare the bajeebas out of you any time you want. While the Ninja H2R is going to be a track bike, a slightly detuned motor will most likely wind up in a street Ninja for those who must absolutely have the biggest and baddest. About the only thing the H2R will do is kill you faster...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Opus1 said, plus one!

My last fast bike was a ZX-12. Rob Muzzy is about four hours west of me. He did a bit of fiddling with it, blending the ports, etc. I just about scared myself bad enough to soil my knickers a couple times. That was when I decided that a HD was a better move.

The Harley ended up with a 120R motor two years ago, but the wheelbase is long enough to keep me from looping it. A hundred and thirty horse at the back tire is controllable, when you shorten the wheelbase about a foot, sit up six inches higher and make 200HP in the 12R it gets a little spooky.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always fun to drive the roads around Atlanta Sunday morning and look at the bike carnage from the street racers the night before trying to set a new lap time on I-285. You can just about build another bike from all the parts...

Eeker

I am trying to learn from others in my older age...

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you ever run the Dragon's Road?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, have been through many times. The problem is you have to go during the week when it is not optimal riding weather. There are too many bikes and now speed racers in cars wanting to set new land speed records on the weekends. The last time I was through was this past April. Helped clean up two bikers who dumped on the turns. It's really become not much fun now.

Fortunately, just north of Atlanta is Blood Mountain Highway 60 that goes up to the town of Blue Ridge that's pretty hairy as well with a lot less traffic on it. It's 48 miles from Dahlonega to Blue Ridge (the Dragon is only 11 miles) and you are mentally and physically beat after the run. It's hard to remain on the edge of your seat that long. Lots of folks depart the road on that run as well. I've had a couple of ohshit moments too.

This is what I am riding in Namibia - http://silodrome.com/2014-f800-gs-adventure/ Its a 2013 and a little more practical on the salt/gravel roads between Windhoek and Swakop but still goes like stink on the flats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

This is what I am riding in Namibia - http://silodrome.com/2014-f800-gs-adventure/ Its a 2013 and a little more practical on the salt/gravel roads between Windhoek and Swakop but still goes like stink on the flats.

Those GS's are nice bikes and pretty comfortable. Last year I bought a Triumph Tiger 800 and so far it has been amazing. Super quick for a 800 and it has the slickest trannie of any bike I ever had. Installed a set of Rox 2 inch risers on the handlebars and the riding position fits me perfect for long cruises. Averaging 55 mpg day in day out. Ended up liking the bike so much that I sold my Kawasaki Concours 1400.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Tiger looks to be a very capable off roader as well. Have not been on a Triumph in years, but they do look nice.

The GS is comfortable as bikes go. As long as I'm on the salt/gravel roads it's great. Once you get off into the outback, the weight of the bike becomes very noticeable and a lot less comfortable. But I spend 99% of my time on the roads so the GS works well for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"...for an 800...".

It is amazing how much bigger machinery we "need" these days.

I got married in '76 in the St Louis area, and my bride and I went on honeymoon to Biloxi then over to Galveston, up to Houston for a Cards game, then home.

I had just bought a new KZ1000 and put a short back rest on it. Imagine a 22 year old woman willing to take a two week honeymoon with just a rack pack and a smaller one on her back...?

Any way, we are coming from Biloxi across to Galveston, and we see a bike at the "Welcome to TEXAS!!" rest stop. There is a Navy guy on his honeymoon as well. They have a rear flat tire.
He's about my size, and the frau is about 5'6, 220 or so. On a,seriously, Honda 350 Scrambler twin. I could barely see motorcycle for the luggage. We found a Honda shop about an hour away. BTW, it's about 2pm on a Sunday. They would not come for the bike. Next on the list is an HD shop. I call, and the on service mechanic tells me "where are you? Okay, I will bring the shop truck, and see you in an hour!".

He comes, we load the bike, and he takes off with these folks.

That's when I started to rethink Harleys.

The progress has been amazing.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your story makes me feel sorry for that poor Honda. What a sorry life it had.

But you're right, bigger and badder is what we have today and there is nothing wrong with that. I started out on a 1980 Yamaha XS400, then Interceptor, then GSXR 650, then GSXR 1000 and now the Ninja 1000. Can always can find the need for something bigger and faster.

Watching the changes in the Enduro market has been interesting. Seeing a lot more of them here in the States and in SA. In Namibia they outnumber the sport and tour bikes by a large margin, then again, they have the roads for it and a few miles of desert to boot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, bigger and faster is now better. When I had my 1971 Honda 750 4-cyl, that was considered a "Superbike". Now it would be considered more of a starter/mid-level bike. I've had my CBR1000RRs and such, but now I'm more into comfort, reliability, and more sedate riding.

Posts: 20080 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the new issue of Cycle World came in the mail today. The 300 horse version is a "track only" supercharged 998cc I-4.

The street version is "comfortably over 200 horse, and just over $25K; according to the Polaris dealer who also sells Kawasakis.

Wow....!

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
200 hp on a bike is SCARY!!! Let alone 300!!!

Posts: 2325 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kawasaki employ a 'Turbo' like vane supercharger.( chain/gear driven)

Whereas on their watercraft, they use a Supercharger that has meshing lobes. (belt driven)

I believe that on motor bike application, the eaton-type blower caused pressure/boost issues because of the elevated temps at the 'hot end'
hence they instead opted for the centrifugal force vane-type blower.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax,

a techie guy like you needs to read the synopsis in CW.

I'd love to have you read it and get back with us.

Rich