THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    DMCI saves environment with Ford Excursion V-10!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DMCI saves environment with Ford Excursion V-10!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted
I was thinking the other day that my 2005 Ford Excursion V-10 Limited which I use for Sport and Utility has just over 50K miles on it, while most of it's siblings have 80k to 140k miles.

I figure at 10 to 12 miles per gallon I have saved over 5000 gallons of gasoline by using this vehicle. This is one of those vehicles that is really fun to drive, and it gives you a cab view which simulates that of an 18 wheeler.

My daily driver is another Ford Classic, a 2006 Crown Vic Sport with the big engine (240hp) that gets upwards of 25 mpg on the freeway.

Amazingly while those two vehicles represent a sticker cost pushing $80K, I paid around $30K for the pair used with trades, the same price as a Japanese Hybrid roller skate which makes the daily cost of ownership and operation really low.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I like that!

I'm all about fosil fuel burning..... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Battlestar Galactica...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Here it is November 2015 10 years later.

I purchased my Excursion at the height of the public repulsion to it for a touch over 20 grand.

So there I was at the Ford dealership getting the brakes serviced. While sitting in the waiting room at the dealership, up pops the local sales manager. Are you interested in selling your Excursion?

In less than one heartbeat, having thought to myself where I get another one if I sold it? I immediately told him that I was not interested in selling it.

Seems that when I purchased it was at the height of public repulsion towards what was perceived as a gas guzzling monster! See post above. Now, since you can't buy new ones good used ones like mine with 60 K on it are quite desirable. It's been long enough now that every once in a while I get a look from a nearby motorist wondering what the heck it is.

When they were new there was no way that I could afford the 60 grand plus for that vehicle.

I still like it as much as I did when they first came out, even though it looks like a monster in comparison to the F150 based versions that are out there now.

--------------------

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we like to characterize you as a one-man assault on Greenpeace and the EPA.

You take a notion to sell that tank, let me know...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
As a refinery worker, you have my thanks for continued employment!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
we like to characterize you as a one-man assault on Greenpeace and the EPA.

You take a notion to sell that tank, let me know...

Rich

Thank you for that, but as much as I hate to rain on your parade, there may be a possibility that you can buy it from my estate as my relatives are card-carrying enviro-wackos who refuse to talk to me most times.

I use the rig mainly for pulling my boats and hauling garbage, or when the passenger list exceeds the capacity of my SL, which I still look for an excuse to drive.

It's interesting that the thing is big enough now that it is head and shoulders bigger than anything out there. They even charge me two dollars extra to wash it at the local car wash!

--------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't suppose you'd do me a favor and speed up your departure...?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother absolutely loves the 2003 V10 Excursion he bought for his wife & kids...

He still has it, but then he is a Ford Senior-Master technician...
so he isn't even slightly afraid of things like transmission rebuilds or the like...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote