New
Find
Notify
Tools

MG. Midget
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have one of these. How reliable are they. Wife always wanted one.
If, and that’s a big if, we look for one, anything’s to avoid?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2631 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would pass on the Midget and look for a MGB. A Midget will cost as much to restore but will not bring the return. Basically they are very basic cars, rust is the big issue. Also I would stay away from the later years (rubber bumpers) Check the same stuff you would on any used vehicle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those that owned them, the terms "MG" and "Reliability" did not belong in the same sentence. If you like to drive your car for an hour, then work on it for 3 hour, they were the car to have.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
I had a Midget in the early 70s and it was my daily driver. Lots of fun to drive and I got one of the good ones I guess because I had no reliability issues.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother had four MG’s

MGA, Midget, B and C.

I don’t recall problems with the Midget. But the MGA was definitely my favourite in the looks department.

He ended up with an early (low ‘60,s) ragtop Lotus Elan that he restored.

Look forward to some pictures.

DRSS

Posts: 1901 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midgets are great little cars. B’s are heavy and cumbersome by comparison. I had a round wheel arch one called TJ 25 odd years ago - max overbore, mg1300 head has flowed, two 2”SU carbs and straight through rally exhaust. She would outrun a Golf GTI mk1 up to 80mph (then ran out of gears). And corners - best drifted with opposite lock. Loved it. Sadly she rusted badly, I had college bills to pay sold her to somebody who rebuilt her. Now you can get new body shells and easy spare parts so why not.

My little sister still has one from 1965 and it’s reliable and occasionally I am allowed to take it for a walk provided I don’t rag it too much!!

They do feel very small next to modern cars though.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had lots of experience with British sports cars a long time ago. I suggest a Mazda Miata or a Toyota MR2 instead. Good looks, reliability and cheap parts. You can find a good one for the price of the Midget. Show her some pictures.

My wife always wanted a VW Bug. She finally got it a couple of years ago and loves it.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote