Find
Notify
Tools

First repair for the GLK350.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I can't really complain a bit that my 2009 GLK350 that I had ordered new just had its' first repair at 83,000 miles. I checked the "check engine light" code with my MBII plug in unit and it listed some cam position errors. I think maybe 1200 & 1209. After a bit of research I determined that either cam gear was worn or the timing chain had some wear. I called the service desk where I bought it and within 5 days they brought me a loaner right to my office 45 minutes away and left with my car. After quoting me over the phone the following morning with a diagnosis of a stretched timing chain, I asked if there was any assistance on the repair from MB considering it was a bit early for a timing chain to have that much wear. They called within an hour and quoted me $1,700 minus $500 in MB assistance. Glad it wasn't the crank gear. Some of those were too soft and that is a $6,000 repair.
Total for the new chain replacement ..... $1200. Not bad. But, they charged me plenty for non-MB generic new rear brakes and rotors, $500. No problem. I think I lucked out.
Now that place is a class act.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No question that Merc has great service. But I am a little surprised a cam gear needs replacement at 85K...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sounded way early for the main chain drive gear. That's why I asked if any assistance from MB was available.
As for the chain itself, I may be partially responsible for the pre-mature chain wear because my office is only 1 mile from my house and I didn't always warm it up before I drove it in winter.

Just had the original brake pads and rotors replaced. Should be smooth sailing for a while now.
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
No question that Merc has great service. But I am a little surprised a cam gear needs replacement at 85K...

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Bigger Benz dealers are best I've found. Smaller ones, not so hot. We are right in the middle of two larger dealers.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
If you change the letters around and break the center piece out of the 3 you can spell GLOCK

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Slick.

quote:
Originally posted by richj:
If you change the letters around and break the center piece out of the 3 you can spell GLOCK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Sounded way early for the main chain drive gear. That's why I asked if any assistance from MB was available.
As for the chain itself, I may be partially responsible for the pre-mature chain wear because my office is only 1 mile from my house and I didn't always warm it up before I drove it in winter.

Just had the original brake pads and rotors replaced. Should be smooth sailing for a while now.
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Warm up?? Maybe in the old days.Crank it up and drive it at a reduced speed for a mile.
Check that with your MB dealer or your service manual.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No or little warm-up seems to be the census now.
I'll just let it warm up until the rpm's drop below 1,000. Takes less than a minute.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch. Do you work on late model water-cooled Porsche's down there? They seem to be much more dependable than the air-cooled ones. What do you think of them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Hey Butch. Do you work on late model water-cooled Porsche's down there? They seem to be much more dependable than the air-cooled ones. What do you think of them?

Doing no European cars any more. Domestic and Asian only now.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M-B has had it's ups and downs like all the rest. Coming into the huge American market is a problem .M-B trained mechanics is another when you find them to be groups like Turks ! My father always drove them even the one that turned out to be a big problem So many that he got a letter of appology from M-B !!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
mete:

I am with you on spotty reliability on MB.
But, they really turned out to be quite reliable by the 2008-2009 and forward period.
Smaller engine cars always felt less refined. 3.5 and larger engines including V-8's always were the best of the lot.
Most issues were limited to cruise control, window regulators and some actuators. Any electronics that aren't used frequently should be cycled once a month. Otherwise they eventually fail.

My Wifes SLK300 had tranny issues (and a moldy smell coming from the A/C vents which I figured out on my own) so we traded it. It would stick in second gear (auto) once or twice a year. It had no other problems. It had 60,000 miles.

1987 560SL
1993 E300
1999 C300
2006 SLK300
2008 C350 4matic
2010 GLK350 4matic -current
2012 C250 coupe
2013 C350 coupe 4matic - distronic -current