Find
Notify
Tools

65 Mustang
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
My son just picked up a 65 + a 68 stangs + is in the business of rebuilding both. Pics will follow as work progresses.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fastbacks or convertibles?

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have'nt seen either one yet,They are at his place in town.I doubt if they are convertibles;I think he would have mentioned that.Original red paint job on the 65 that is now a faded pink.His wife fell in love with it so I know who it's REALLY going to belong to.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I would guess coupes. The price of rotted out fastbacks is well above $10k these days.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well since I have a metal shop,the floor pans will be a cinch. I made some for a friend that was restoring an early 50's T bird.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of pulling the motor in my 1968 F100 to start metal work. Never done it before but a good time to learn, as I have to do the same on my 66 A code coupe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad you don't live closer;I could give you some 16G. C/R drops for your floor pans.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I wish I was closer just for the expert advice! I'm pretty sure I have the skills necessary, just have never ventured off into it. And I know FOR A FACT the rust is always worse than you thought it was.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Having owned & worked over about a dozen 64-66 Mustangs, might be able to help with any questions.
Also: I sell a tool that saves about an hour in labor when swapping out A-arms and spindles.
It allows the spring to be compressed and left in it's original position in the tower.
If interested in one, PM for a price for AR members.

EZ TOP

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a 65 GT350 Shelby in a collection last week...……..lovely.

A 68 GT350 Shelby turned up at a local car show last (?) year.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does'nt seem that long ago that these were new cars.Getting old is not for sissies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Getting old is not for sissies.

Tell me about it. I still remember carrying around a magazine (Life, maybe) with the 2-page photo of the newly-announced Mustang in my bookbag in grade school. It was a dark blue coupe...I was in love!

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My younger kid (46) has his mothers Mustang. It is a 64 1/2 convertible, 289, 3 speed. It is supposed to be the first Mustang sold in Montana. She got it when she graduated from college. The Ford dealers daughter had been driving it. He takes really good care of it. He's stationed in N.C. now and I hope the salt air doesn't do it in.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread almost breaks my heart.

My first: '65 fastback. Burgundy over black. 289-4V. Automatic. No power anything. Got it new. I absolutely worshipped that car. My First Real High School Girlfriend liked it a lot, and that was important.

Oh, and BTW...every man reading this post knows EXACTLY what I meant when I used the phrase "First Real High School Girlfriend."

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1972 I bought a 57 @ door Belair from a friend for $75.00. His dad left it to him + he didn't want it. When I tell my son these days about that he just cringes as he is a collector. I tell him, look, in 1972 it was not a classic, it was just an old car.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I've got an invoice from 1951 where my grandfather bought a used 1940 Ford from the Buick dealership for I think $70. Got in framed in the shop.