Notify
Tools

Niki Lauda RIP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48345660#

One of the greats of motor racing Niki Lauda has passed away at 70 years old. I once got the chance to see but not actually meet him as he took delivery of an airplane at Boeing field.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A true legend.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
He will be buried in his Ferrari racing suit!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport...uneral-mass-ferrari/

Also this:

https://nypost.com/2019/05/15/...-terminally-ill-boy/

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
No doubt, he was quite the racer and an example of dedication to the point of obsession. I wonder about the man though. When I hear about “Legends” and “Heroes” I often wonder about their regret and what they would trade it all in for.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point Boom Stick. We don't know the people personally. As to regrets, have you seen a picture of Niki after his accident? Worth Googling, and then asking your question!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If you watch the movie "Rush" it gives a pretty fair assessment of what it took for him to do what he did.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie. It is a small miracle he survived that accident. Interesting info... Firemen wear flash hoods that were developed in racing.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
If you watch the movie "Rush" it gives a pretty fair assessment of what it took for him to do what he did.

Excellent movie. He and James Hunt became friends after the accident.

Read that he died from complications from a lung transplant need as a result of breathing in the toxins from the fire.

RIP Niki.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in college in the 70s, I pushed his car out of the pits onto the track at Kyalami. One of the highlights of my youth!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I didn’t know much about him until I saw an episode of Air Disasters. He had launched an eponymous airline and personally took the lead on his internal investigation and often flew left seat (captain) on his flights.

He definitely sounded like an interesting person.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3431 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote