New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boomers only, LOL
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
You young whippersnappers won't understand.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7753 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
One of the best sixes ever built. Ultra smooth running torquey buggers they were. Friends had 'em in a '60 Plymouth Fury 4 door, a 1972-ish Scamp and 1964 Dart.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Definitely a great motor. Lasted forever. Love my Mopars but I had a 54 Chevy with an inline 235 six in it that lasted forever as well.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7567 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Definitely a great motor. Lasted forever. Love my Mopars but I had a 54 Chevy with an inline 235 six in it that lasted forever as well.

The 54 Chevy pickup I drove in high school came with the 235 as well. One of my older sisters had two different Darts with the slant six. I could never bring myself to like those Darts, but she loved them. I like the Ford and GM ~300 straight sixes the best. Especially the Ford version. Both are very torquey and lasted forever. Ford made their version all the way up until ‘96. Then they replaced them with about the crappiest v6 they could dream up. Sorry, I was born a bit late to be a boomer, but I love 50’s and 60’s era cars the best!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3269 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I had owned a 300 c.i. Ford 6 in a 1984 F-150 4WD. Smoked a bit from oil change neglect but chugged right out an uphill mud hole with a boat in tow by the river.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They made maybe 12 million of them.....no idea but a bunch.......and 52,000 aluminum ones with cast iron liners....... Vegas should have listened.

Posts: 432 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had a slant six in a 63 Dodge 330 wagon, pulled a 5x8 trailer from Siskyou County to Garrett County with everything we owned.

Then switched to AMC 232, seven main bearings but a paltry oil gallery to the rockers. Not wise to skip an oil change...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had a 67 barraccudda slant 6.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:

Probably a nicely balanced little car...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Slant sixes were virtually indestructable, even with poor maintainence! Speaking of sixes, how many remember the Pontiac Hi Po OHC six with a Quadrajet four BBL.? They were available in 66/67 in the LeMans/Tempest and Firebird for 67, maybe even later. Not many were made or survived as the were overshadowed by the muscle car engine options, but were very much ahead of their era!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned to drive in a 55 Chevy 4 door, 235 six cylinder with 3 on the column. Mom kept that car until she got a 66 Nova SS.

Then 50+ years later I happen to notice my wife’s BMW 528i engine was tilted to one side making it look like a slant six.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 928 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont forget the 300 ci 6 that Ford put in their trucks. That engine was bullet proof as they come.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6588 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Slant sixes were virtually indestructable, even with poor maintainence! Speaking of sixes, how many remember the Pontiac Hi Po OHC six with a Quadrajet four BBL.? They were available in 66/67 in the LeMans/Tempest and Firebird for 67, maybe even later. Not many were made or survived as the were overshadowed by the muscle car engine options, but were very much ahead of their era!

For awhile, guys were putting the OHC Pontiac six in Jaguars, more zip and fewer problems...

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that's the reason we don't see any Barracuddas anymore. They LOOKED like a muscle car + were treated as such + weren't + now they are all gone. I really miss all of my 50s Chevy pickups over the years + the sticker shock of what they are selling for now; if you can find one.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had several 6cyl powered engines in my old cars. I had a 216" in my 50 Chev, replaced it with a 235, then a 261 and lastly a 302 Jimmy. Wife had a 64 V100 Valiant with the 225 6 cyl and factory 4 speed. Her cousin was a Chrysler freak and had a 225 Hyper Pac with the die cast alum. block. After driving to Las Vegas to pick it up I decided to peddle it as in the day and now also it is pretty rare.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son is having a 66 Mustang restored for his wife. I can't wait to see the finished product.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

My mom's favorite car when I was a kid, 68 Barracuda with 225 slant six. She complained until she died that my father traded it in for a 72 Pontiac Catalina with a 400 ,,,,, she loved the Barracuda.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
And that's the reason we don't see any Barracuddas anymore. They LOOKED like a muscle car + were treated as such + weren't + now they are all gone. I really miss all of my 50s Chevy pickups over the years + the sticker shock of what they are selling for now; if you can find one.

Depends on how you ordered it a 340 6 pak, cuda T/A or a cuda with a 383, 440, 440 6 pak or a Hemi were true muscle cars with a 440 or Hemi bringing more than $100,000 in restored condition today.

This one went for 3.5 million.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5tQm8HBB2Y

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Gotta say for that era and genre of cars the Barracuda hands down wins the contest for most impressive rear window.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7753 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I just discovered this thread!
Some great old cars mentioned.

Hey Butch: was that '50 chev your first car?
Mine was. Knocked the rods out of it and took a file to the nasties, used a rod from the junk yard and ran it a long time with STP & 50Wt.

Next door neighbor right now has a '54 3/4 ton in my back yard and a '55 1/2T in his. Both with 235's. Said the '55 was the first
year with both one piece windshield and open
drive shaft.

Dad took me to find the '50 Chev after I'd been hot rodding the hell out of Mom's '55 stick 265. For those days, that was a real
runner!

Thanks for the memories.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote