Find
Notify
Tools

I drooled over this at Barrett Jackson
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted
1964 Ford Galaxy 500 XL 427 Drag Car.....60,000 original miles....I did not have an extra $150,000.00 to spend!!

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but imagine it as a four-door Galaxy 500 XL hardtop in maroon with a white vinyl top and the single four-barrel 410 horsepower engine. My Father bought one in September of 1963. His birthday was at the end of that month, and he bought a new one every other year. My Mother got the two year old one, and her old one got sold. They had a full length console with floor shift automatic (like the 66-67 Chargers) and bucket seats in the front. The back bench seat backs were done to simulate buckets, and my poor seven year old younger brother got to straddle that console.

That is definitely a looker, and with performance to match...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Yes, but imagine it as a four-door Galaxy 500 XL hardtop in maroon with a white vinyl top and the single four-barrel 410 horsepower engine. My Father bought one in September of 1963. His birthday was at the end of that month, and he bought a new one every other year. My Mother got the two year old one, and her old one got sold. They had a full length console with floor shift automatic (like the 66-67 Chargers) and bucket seats in the front. The back bench seat backs were done to simulate buckets, and my poor seven year old younger brother got to straddle that console.

That is definitely a looker, and with performance to match...

That was a sweet ride.....I wish my dad was that progressive....but we settled for Lincoln Continentals in the 60's. My dad owned 3 of them. They came with 430 CI engines....but they were anemic compared to the 427 CI engine....plus the car probably weighed 3 tons!

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looked again. With that hood it should be one of the "Thunderbolt" cars...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
looked again. With that hood it should be one of the "Thunderbolt" cars...?

Rich: the Thunderbolts were Fairlanes.....not Galaxies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, they did make both. Different classes in the old NHRA Super Stock/FX. FX evolved (degenerated...?) into the altered wheelbase cars and then to the current Funny Cars of today.

The major players were guys like Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick and his aluminum front end 421 Super Duty Catalinas, the Ramchargers, Dicky Harrell and Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins in the final 427 inch version of the original 409 cid bubbleback '62 belairs and biscaynes, and the Fords like this Galaxy for "Dyno Don" Nicholson and the Fairlane that Butch "the California Flash" Leal campaigned from 1960 to about 1968 when factory emphasis shifted to NASCAR and into "Pro Superstock" in 1969.

The wildest one I ever saw, was the kid down the road from us was five years older than me. He graduated in 1962, joined the Marines, did two tours in 'nam, and came home in late summer of 1964. The Chevy dealer had a '64 malibu SS (last year before they became chevelles, iirc) sitting on the lot with a 427 W-motor (348/409/427) with buckets, air and a power glide and floor shifter. That car was a real monster.

FYI, I graduated in 1967, and three months later Plymouth introduced the Road Runner (meep-meep) and Dodge the Super Bee. And. yes, I was a total gearhead back then. Still am, but I graduated to Jaguar XK-E's and the current XK-8 convertible, along with fast motorcycles.

Those really "were the days...".

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what is the hp of the car on the opening page? 1/4 mile ET? Top speed? Rich, you ought to know this...you are from that era.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
So what is the hp of the car on the opening page? 1/4 mile ET? Top speed? Rich, you ought to know this...you are from that era.

Here are the details on the posted car:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com...-DOOR-HARDTOP-178618

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, they did make both. Different classes in the old NHRA Super Stock/FX. FX evolved (degenerated...?) into the altered wheelbase cars and then to the current Funny Cars of today.

The major players were guys like Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick and his aluminum front end 421 Super Duty Catalinas, the Ramchargers, Dicky Harrell and Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins in the final 427 inch version of the original 409 cid bubbleback '62 belairs and biscaynes, and the Fords like this Galaxy for "Dyno Don" Nicholson and the Fairlane that Butch "the California Flash" Leal campaigned from 1960 to about 1968 when factory emphasis shifted to NASCAR and into "Pro Superstock" in 1969.

The wildest one I ever saw, was the kid down the road from us was five years older than me. He graduated in 1962, joined the Marines, did two tours in 'nam, and came home in late summer of 1964. The Chevy dealer had a '64 malibu SS (last year before they became chevelles, iirc) sitting on the lot with a 427 W-motor (348/409/427) with buckets, air and a power glide and floor shifter. That car was a real monster.

FYI, I graduated in 1967, and three months later Plymouth introduced the Road Runner (meep-meep) and Dodge the Super Bee. And. yes, I was a total gearhead back then. Still am, but I graduated to Jaguar XK-E's and the current XK-8 convertible, along with fast motorcycles.

Those really "were the days...".

Rich: I'm a little older.....graduated from high school in 1966......that (in my opinion), was the heyday of the muscle era. What I would give for an all black 1967 427 CI dual quad, 4 speed manual, Fairlane 500 XL !!! Cheers. Chip.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy years ago that had a 64 Galaxie 500 with the 427 side oiler and 4 speed set up for the drag strip. It sported 11" slicks on the drive axle and 4:11 gears. These were heavy, heavy cars (outweighed a Buick Wildcat!) it would turn those tires through the 1/4 mile but the ETs were dismal. I inherited one in the 4 door sedan version that had the 352 Powerpack setup that was a lead sled. That 352 engine would only rev to 4200 rpm no matter what gear. I like the 63 Fords much better, but never owned one, as they were much lighter.

AFAIK, the Thunderbolts had 406 sideoilers in them, at least the Fairlane version. This was a 427 block with a forged steel crank stroked the same dimensions as the 352.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Thunderbolts were both rated 425 HP and something crazy like 480ft/lbs of torque. As near as I can tell there were 50 of each built. Half were stick, the other half automatics. Most of the automatics were converted to 4-speeds. Butch Leal's car was stored in Boise years ago, next to the owner's Lime Green Hemi Superbird.

Nearly all of them have been changed so much they are hardly recognizable. The factories could issue "updates" on a weekly basis, and sent the special parts to their teams. Cams, tubular exhaust manifolds, intakes, even carbs.

Remember when the Carter AFB came out? We all thought it meant aluminum four barrel. I thought I was a real racer when I swapped the one that came on my 383 RR for a 200cfm higher flow model off of a friend's GTX. Then we stuffed a Racer Brown (remember them?) SSH-25 "Hemi grind" cam in it. Those cams were pretty tame for that engine. The wedge engines were 264-degrees on the intake side and 284-degrees on the exhaust. The Hemis just got a 284/284 and about 480(?)" lift.

I was living the high life in summer of 1972 when a friend. his older brother (worked in a boneyard) and I swapped out the 383 Torqueflite for a 440-6PAK from a wrecked '71 R/T Charger one weekend. Stuck a set of 67 Magnum heads on it and slid a Racer Brown SSH-44 in it. Just leave it in drive, make sure you had it pointed where you wanted it to go, side step the brake pedal and stand on it on the last yellow. 11:20's at close to 124mph. And 120 octane Sunoco 360 for 38-cents a gallon. I can just see those blue and yellow pumps with the twist a dial to select from 260 to 360. The higher the number (for you younger folks), the higher the octane rating. 360 looked like a blood transfusion going in.

The Galaxies ended up in the mid-11's at about 130mph. The Fairlanes got to the mid-10's about ten mph faster.

It would be a very interesting project to build one today and see how it would fare against the '64 Hemi Coronets and Belvideres today. Crouch Racing, in Des Moines, Iowa, used to offer all the lightweight fiberglass pieces.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I was a little earlier in graduating than you youngsters. !952 was the year for High School and my graduation gift was a 1948 Dodge Business/Dr's coupe with the huge trunk and just one seat with an area behind it for the Dr's bag. It served me well thru Gunsmith school and then My Dad traded me his new 54BelAir sedan to continue college in. Performance was just getting a hold on the young people of the day so I proceeded to put an Edmunds intake manifold with dual carbs and dual exhausts on it. Ran pretty good for a powerglide. Graduated college in 56 and Immediately bought a 56 Plymouth Fury. First one in Mississippi. The head of the Highway patrol was a friend of the family and they got Dodge D500's that year and he drove a Chrysler 300C. They hadn't gotten the D500's as yet and he asked me to run my Fury thru a radar set to check performance. Seems like the top end was around the 130's. It was a neat car but had many problems with it basically caused by moisture in the distributor cap. It was a weird cap due to the Tach transmitter sitting in the middle of the Distributor. They tried all kinds of seals and finally ended up drilling a hole in the side of the cap so the condensation would not take place. From that time to this I have been hooked on performance cars. Went thru Jags (120,140,150,2.4,3.4,3.8) till the XKE which I still dislike very much. They have finally gotten their styling mojo back with the current model. Currently my transport is a Hyundai Genesis Coupe (350pretty peppy HP from a DOCAM V-6). I'm happy with it. It was hard to beat those big ole Hemi's though. I have owned my share thru the years and probably some other persons share too but primarily sports cars. I well remember them all,Jags,Lotus Elite,Triumph TR3,280Z,300z,Porsche Speedster,Cobra,Carrera,AC Bristol, I just liked sportscars and even at my age still do. I suppose childhood just lasts and lasts.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dislike the XKE? Seriously? When they were introduced at the Paris Auto Show in 1962 a gentleman named Enzo Ferrari, who was known to have offered some rather nice looking cars himself, said was the most beautiful car, especially the convertible, that he had ever seen. There were a couple of other nice new models there, like the split-window Corvette and the 911, as well as the original 260cid Cobras.

I had a '67 coupe that was the joy of my life for a couple years.

When I retired back in fall of 2008, I celebrated not killing anybody at work all those years by buying an XK-8 convertible. A worthy replacement, after many years of owning more pedestrian transportation.

It was 34-degrees at noon today, and a bright sun shiny day. I celebrated that by dropping the top and going to lunch. The heated leather seats made it a good drive.

A friend once told me, that you have to get older every day, but you do not have to (completely) give up childhood and the joy it brings.

The 1962 XKE convertible is the only automobile on display at the Guggenheim Museum to this day.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
It is my own personal feeling (my very own,not yours or anyone elses) that the 'E' Type is probably (along with the 'D') the ugliest Jaguar ever built with the exception of a couple of their sedans. Believe it or not Ol Enzo made some pretty ugli cars along the way. My Cobra was a 260 but I actually preferred my AC with the Bristol inline 6.The prettiest car I ever had was my Lotus Elite. This was the FIRST Elite with the Coventry Climax 4cyl (mine was a stage 2). All this just goes to prove why some like some rifles and others others. When the XKE came out my first wife had an XK150 coupe with automatic and I had an XK150-S with 4spd and OD. Hers was white with chrome wires and mine was grey with black painted wires. The 'E's just stopped my interest in Jaguar cars for a long time and I never had another.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
When they were introduced at the Paris Auto Show in 1962 a gentleman named Enzo Ferrari, who was known to have offered some rather nice looking cars himself, said was the most beautiful car, especially the convertible, that he had ever seen. There were a couple of other nice new models there, like the split-window Corvette and the 911, as well as the original 260cid Cobras.

They had a '63 Vette at the 1962 show?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7592 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit,

before the government (NHTSA) got into the people control via automobiles, aided and abetted by the insurance companies cars were designed by the factories to suit the customer's taste.

The new cars came out each fall of the year, about the time school started. Take the 1968-70 B bodies.
An entirely new design, clean sheet of paper car, the 1968 model, introduced the Road Runner. You could see them in dealer showrooms about Labor Day weekend.

For 1969, Plymouth changed the grille, the tail lights, and a few other things. Mid-year, they brought out the A-12, 6-Pak/6-Barrel.

For 1970, they made major changes, the hood was entirely different, the tail lights were way different, there was a dorky non-functional side scoop behind the doors, and the 6-Pak could be had as an option across the board.

For 1971, it was an entirely, all new body style.

Detroit was on a three year model schedule.

Back to the XKE. The Paris show was in September of 1962. All of the 1963 European models, pretty much, were introduced there at the show.
Still one of the most beautiful cars, if not the most beautiful car ever built. I would love to have another '67, last year, iirc, for the covered headlights, first year for the 4.2 litre version.

Shelby debuted the AC Bristol bodied small block Cobra there as well. Rumor has it that the very first conversion used the 221.
Shelby had the car available to every car magazine that late summer for a week. The magazine would flog it, and write the story. To make Shelby American look like a real builder, every time the car came back, they would replace the engine and paint it a different color. Must have worked.
The only reason you see mostly white with blue strips or blue with white is that countries used to be assigned two colors for their FIA racers. Blue and White were ours.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frostbit,

before the government (NHTSA) got into the people control via automobiles, aided and abetted by the insurance companies cars were designed by the factories to suit the customer's taste.

The new cars came out each fall of the year, about the time school started. Take the 1968-70 B bodies.
An entirely new design, clean sheet of paper car, the 1968 model, introduced the Road Runner. You could see them in dealer showrooms about Labor Day weekend.

For 1969, Plymouth changed the grille, the tail lights, and a few other things. Mid-year, they brought out the A-12, 6-Pak/6-Barrel.

For 1970, they made major changes, the hood was entirely different, the tail lights were way different, there was a dorky non-functional side scoop behind the doors, and the 6-Pak could be had as an option across the board.

For 1971, it was an entirely, all new body style.

Detroit was on a three year model schedule.

Back to the XKE. The Paris show was in September of 1962. All of the 1963 European models, pretty much, were introduced there at the show.
Still one of the most beautiful cars, if not the most beautiful car ever built. I would love to have another '67, last year, iirc, for the covered headlights, first year for the 4.2 litre version.

Shelby debuted the AC Bristol bodied small block Cobra there as well. Rumor has it that the very first conversion used the 221.
Shelby had the car available to every car magazine that late summer for a week. The magazine would flog it, and write the story. To make Shelby American look like a real builder, every time the car came back, they would replace the engine and paint it a different color. Must have worked.
The only reason you see mostly white with blue strips or blue with white is that countries used to be assigned two colors for their FIA racers. Blue and White were ours.

Thought the timing of the show might be the case.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7592 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Did you see Barrett-Jackson this afternoon?
A bronze Hemi 4-speed 1969 Daytona Charger with 6,3xx miles sold for $900,00.