New
Find
Notify
Tools

Narrow hip 427 Cobras!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve been riding “motorsickles” all of my life. The traffic in Colorado, and everywhere, it seems, has just gotten crazy. My wife made a deal with me, a couple years ago, that if I sold my last bike, I can build a car when my kids are gone. My son is a senior in high school now, so I’m planning it out. I’ve been looking at Cobra kit cars for 15 years. Factory Five Racing is at the top of my list. However, I’ve become enamored with the no-frills “street Cobra” that made up the actual majority of original 427 Cobras sold to the general public. I just think they look classy. They have no side pipes. The dual exhaust is run under the the car and exits in the rear. There is, also, no roll bar, no rally stripes, and usually no hood scoop. Interestingly, Shelby hoodwinked a lot of unwitting customers by sticking 428 police interceptor engines, in many street cars, instead of the 427. The badging on, the valve covers of these cars even read “427”. Frankly, the 427 was way too much motor for regular joes like me, anyway. At 360 horsepower, and stump pulling gobs of torque, the 428 was a beast in its own right.
I recently discovered an even cooler variant of the 427 Cobra- the “narrow hip” street car. The rear fenders are narrowed so that the typical street tires fit snug within. The front fender contour is trimmed back some as well. While I still like the original body, especially with wider fender filling tires, the narrow cars were the coolest. Of 160 street cars originally produced, only 33 were of the narrow hip variety. Here are some links to pics of narrow hip cars:

https://www.conceptcarz.com/pr...helby-cobra-427.aspx

http://weavergarage.com/1965-cobra-csx-3130

https://www.legendarymotorcar....narrow-hip-2088.aspx

I found an old post on a cobra club forum about an “ERA” kit body someone modified to the narrow shape. However, it’s the only narrow hip kit car I’ve come across. I will be contacting Factory Five to see if reshaping their fenders will cause any problems with their frame/suspension geometry. I’m still a couple years out on starting this project, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting variation that I was not aware of. I agree, it is sleeker and subtle(if that term can ever be applied to a Cobra!) I always lusted after anything with the Shelby nameplate on it, Mustangs included, and I am a known Mopar Man! If you decide to build one, Please keep us informed! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think this version of the Cobra looks like the many Euro sports cars from that era. The standard Cobra stands out and any "car guy" immediately knows what it is when he sees it. JMHO

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Considering that the AC "Ace" body/chassis, imported from England, was the basis of the Cobra, it is really no surprise that it looks like a Euro sports car. Still a good looking auto in any configuration! Walk softly and carry a big stick.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I prefer the idea of the 289 version for weight and handling
If I did a kit it would be this
https://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/289-usrrc/

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I prefer the idea of the 289 version for weight and handling
If I did a kit it would be this
https://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/289-usrrc/

I like the 289 cobra as well, but I like the “slab side” street version with spoke wheels, hoop bumpers with bumperets, and egg crate grill. FFR does not offer their 289 with the street body/trim (ERA does). However, there is a little more room in the 427 cockpit for my wife and I when cruising together. Most folks only take such cars out for Sunday cruises or car show runs. We wouldn’t mind taking ours down to Texas when visiting my family. The 289 wouldn’t be as comfortable for that.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think this version of the Cobra looks like the many Euro sports cars from that era. The standard Cobra stands out and any "car guy" immediately knows what it is when he sees it. JMHO

I think most “car guys” wouldn’t be able to easily tell the difference, unless both street versions were side by side. The “true believers” would know, but your average car guy wouldn’t immediately notice. I consider myself a car guy, and until I learned about the differences in the narrow hip version I couldn’t easily see the difference. I think this is because most replicas, street and SC versions, use wide wheels that fill up the rear fenders. The standard original street versions typically came with relatively narrow wheels/tires that leave a lot of extra room in the fenders. The narrow hip version is more subtle when compared to typical wide tire replicas. However, it is still sexier enough, to my eye, to make me want the narrow hip.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it would be pure blasphemy as I love the cobras. I would stick a small alum. block LS 7 427 in it to address the weight. I know not a ford motor.
Almost a 4 well motorcycle though. No heat, no air, no top.
I went through the same train of thought as you about 11 years ago.
Stopped riding my Harley because of all the numb nut texters.
First bought a BMW Z4M (loads of fun). Sold that and bought a Aston Martin DB9 convertible (love that car) and later added a 2013 Corvette Z6 (LS7). Had to have a manual again.
Well about 3-4 months ago I just had to have a bike again and bought a 2020 Road King and been dressing it up a bit.
The bike thing will eventual grab you again.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I know it would be pure blasphemy as I love the cobras. I would stick a small alum. block LS 7 427 in it to address the weight. I know not a ford motor.
First bought a BMW Z4M (loads of fun). Sold that and bought a Aston Martin DB9 convertible (love that car) and later added a 2013 Corvette Z6 (LS7). Had to have a manual again.
Well about 3-4 months ago I just had to have a bike again and bought a 2020 Road King and been dressing it up a bit.

EZ

While I would prefer a Ford motor, my view with replicas is that anything goes. Each person has their own vision of what their car should be, based on their own personal taste. GM small blocks give the most bang for the buck, for sure. Ford does make an aluminum 351 block that can go to 427 or even more. However, I think the LS is a better engine, and likely a bit lighter than an aluminum Windsor 427, but insignificantly so. I will be going with a naturally aspirated gen 2 or 3 Coyote. That motor is a match made in heaven for the Cobra, IMHO. The Coyote Aluminator would be even better for serious track work. I just want a solid car for occasional back road stupidity and long distance dependability. Car show open-hood bling will not be a consideration. If I were aiming for top performance, a wide hip version would be the logical choice.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Matt, get over to Boulder and visit the Shelby American Collection!!

https://shelbyamericancollection.org/

More original and significant Cobras and GT40s there than you can shake a stick at.

If I was hot for a Cobra, I'd want an F.I.A. 289. That's the version they won most of their races with.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those flat crank Coyotes sound awesome and plenty of power for a 2200 pound car.!

quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:

EZ

While I would prefer a Ford motor, my view with replicas is that anything goes. Each person has their own vision of what their car should be, based on their own personal taste. GM small blocks give the most bang for the buck, for sure. Ford does make an aluminum 351 block that can go to 427 or even more. However, I think the LS is a better engine, and likely a bit lighter than an aluminum Windsor 427, but insignificantly so. I will be going with a naturally aspirated gen 2 or 3 Coyote. That motor is a match made in heaven for the Cobra, IMHO. The Coyote Aluminator would be even better for serious track work. I just want a solid car for occasional back road stupidity and long distance dependability. Car show open-hood bling will not be a consideration. If I were aiming for top performance, a wide hip version would be the logical choice.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Love the scoopless narrow hip version. Had no clue they existed. Thanks. Not a bad choice with the Coyote engine as well.
But, I guess I'm old school with a tendency toward period bling. Late model crate engine seem so "regular".
My version of a match made in heaven is a Ford Performance 347 stroker & possibly one of these on top or even a single 4150 Holley. I owned one and the engine balance was flawless up too 7500 plus rpm's. But, that's just me. Have fun. Go for it.

bling

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Matt,

Love the scoopless narrow hip version. Had no clue they existed. Thanks. Not a bad choice with the Coyote engine as well.
But, I guess I'm old school with a tendency toward period bling. Late model crate engine seem so "regular".
My version of a match made in heaven is a Ford Performance 347 stroker & possibly one of these on top or even a single 4150 Holley. I owned one and the engine balance was flawless up too 7500 plus rpm's. But, that's just me. Have fun. Go for it.

bling

You certainly have classic taste! I think Webber’s are really cool, but from what I hear, they can be a nightmare. They work great for racing, but not the best choice for a daily driver. Borla’s modern versions are more reliable, but VERY expensive!

I’ve seriously considered a 347 and a 331 and the 306. What really made me decide on a Coyote is driving in high altitude. Modern fuel injection does all of the air fuel adjustments on the fly, and I just don’t want to dick with chokes or adjusting carburetors etc. I’m sure I will cruise over trail ridge road (over 12,000 feet), and drive over several other high mountain passes here in Colorado. The excellent mpg isn’t a huge consideration, but certainly a plus. I grew up in north central Texas (Abilene area). If I still lived there, a 347 would be a great choice. I’ve also considered a 391FT (390 Truck motor) reworked to approximately 428. I love the loping idle of the carbureted big blocks!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
Matt, get over to Boulder and visit the Shelby American Collection!!

https://shelbyamericancollection.org/

More original and significant Cobras and GT40s there than you can shake a stick at.

If I was hot for a Cobra, I'd want an F.I.A. 289. That's the version they won most of their races with.

I’ve heard of that museum, but never been. I’ll have to go there some weekend. Thanks!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an Shelby gathering in Plano Texas annually. Many mustang Shelby's and cobras as well.
A lot of individual tastes. Fun to mingle there.
Great TOYS!
I would think the side pipe on Shelbys, Vipers and older vettes might burn your leg if you stepped out of them in shorts after they had been running a while.
If you ever had a Harley and rode in shorts you might know what it is to get a Pipe burn on your calf. NOT FUN! It takes about 6 weeks to heal and you have a scar for a long time.

EZ

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well, one would need to become a "student" of the Weber's to use them successfully.
There are bolt on fuelie systems that are less involved than the Webers. But, I would need to add MSD ignition. It's still the best (I think).
Sure hard to beat a computer controlled fuel charge in a drop and go modern engine. That's for sure. I'm sure FF can spec the frame/steering for most oil pans.

XXXXXXXX You certainly have classic taste! I think Webber’s are really cool, but from what I hear, they can be a nightmare. They work great for racing, but not the best choice for a daily driver. Borla’s modern versions are more reliable, but VERY expensive!

I’ve seriously considered a 347 and a 331 and the 306. What really made me decide on a Coyote is driving in high altitude. Modern fuel injection does all of the air fuel adjustments on the fly, and I just don’t want to dick with chokes or adjusting carburetors etc. I’m sure I will cruise over trail ridge road (over 12,000 feet), and drive over several other high mountain passes here in Colorado. The excellent mpg isn’t a huge consideration, but certainly a plus. I grew up in north central Texas (Abilene area). If I still lived there, a 347 would be a great choice. I’ve also considered a 391FT (390 Truck motor) reworked to approximately 428. I love the loping idle of the carbureted big blocks![/QUOTE]

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think the side pipe on Shelbys, Vipers and older vettes might burn your leg if you stepped out of them in shorts after they had been running a while.
If you ever had a Harley and rode in shorts you might know what it is to get a Pipe burn on your calf. NOT FUN! It takes about 6 weeks to heal and you have a scar for a long time.

EZ

I’ve heard that referred to as “Snake Bite”, with regard to Cobras. I’ve got bitten by Harley pipes a few times. BMW boxer heads, as well. Not fun, but goes with the territory, so to speak.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Side pipes seemed like a bad idea from the start because of the heat especially if they are chromed. I had ran a pair of chromed shorty JBA headers on a SBF and those made the engine hot & stayed hot forever. Then I switched to full length Hookers with JET_HOT coating. Cooldown to the touch was less than ten minutes. Still hot enough to burn skin on a running engine most likely.. Not cheap! $500-ish for just the header coating back in 2005-ish.

jet hot ceramic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Dart based 427 Windsor can make a nice street motor. Edelbrock multi-port FI makes it really nice. This, a very streetable build, went 470 HP at 5300 RPM and 560 ft-lbs of torque at 3600 RPM.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The Wife would like that one. '71, '72 or '73 Mustang? C6 trans? Seems familiar.