New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norton 850 Commando
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Walking in to get my hair cut today and passed a cleaners and right inside the window was a Norton 850 Commando.
I had to take a look. I wanted one of these so bad when I was in high school.
This one had beed impeccably restored. I would have bought it is for sale.
Looked on line and these things restored will bring between $13-25K.
I bet they did not cost $4K new back in the mid 70's.
I know where it is!
I took a pic, just do not know how to post. Candy apple red.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lusted after one too back in the ‘70’s. Knew a Canadian teacher her e that had a 750.

Buy it!

I ride a K1300S. I bet the Norton is more funner!

DRSS

Posts: 1898 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with rockdoc, buy it. you can always get your money back. I lusted after that one in the 70s too.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I kept dividing my wants between the Norton + the Triumph Bonneville 650. In 1972 APD was selling off their 1947 Harley trikes w/ the big compartment in the rear + the tractor seat for $150.00 each. I couldn't come up with the money to save my life.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember ordering a Dunstall Norton catalog from England. I wanted to get the ultimate street racer. I had a Honda 750 4-cylinder at the time.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I had BSA’s and Triumph’s. A friend had a Norton Commando. He came over so we could work on it several times to solve a nasty oil leak it had. They were pretty bikes!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice, but, if you find a Vincent Black Lightning or Black Shadow, let me know!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After Norton stopped production, new Norton 850S were sold-off at 50% of MSRP. I purchased a new black 850 Commando Roadster in the summer of 1976 for less than $2k.
I wish that I still had it.

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The styling of Triumph and Norton twins is still what I consider to be what is a motorcycle. I remember that era. Gotta to tell you, those British vertical twins were as technologically dated as Conestoga wagons next to a Honda 750 four. British bikes, tickler carbs, kick start only, vibrated, slow in comparison and leaked. Don’t forget, Lucas the Prince of Darkness.

Then in 1974 the Gold Wing was introduced, I think the first one in my town was in 1975, I went to the Honda dealership and with others, just stared at the revolutionary machine. Four cylinder, water cooled, drive shaft, etc.

The greedy plutocrats of the British motorcycle industry took the profits and spent them on their selves. Then they told the British government that the reason they were noncompetitive was because the subsidies were too small. This study, conducted for the British Government in 1975, shows how far behind the British manufacturers were to the Japanese. And the Government punch bowl was taken away.

1975 Strategy alternatives for the British motorcycle industry

https://assets.publishing.serv...file/235319/0532.pdf

I would say I was sad at the time, but I was not. British motorcycles were more expensive, and did not have the features or the reliability that their competition was bringing to the show room.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then in 1974 the Gold Wing was introduced, I think the first one in my town was in 1975, I went to the Honda dealership and with others, just stared at the revolutionary machine. Four cylinder, water cooled, drive shaft, etc.

A gold wing in the same conversation as a Norton?

Yikes. faint

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funnt you should say that. I have a buddy that got out of Federal prison several years ago after a 11 year hitch concerning his Oakland Angels business + a friend offered him a gold wing + John said, you've got to be kidding me! The guy said, just take it down to the Harley house + they'll trade you. John said, B.S! They would never deal with a Honda in a Harley dealership. Then he told me how wrong he was; boy oh boy a lot of things have changed while I've been inside.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Peter

rotflmo

DRSS

Posts: 1898 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
quote:
Peter

rotflmo

I had a friend who owns a Velocette……

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good heavens! That's old! In my later years I had a Honda ST1100. Amazing bike. Used it every day to go to work. Took it on a new highway near me. Got it up to 95mph and felt my sphincter opening up and backed off!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter

https://youtu.be/j0kJdrfzjAg

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7582 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frostbit! Someone posted this a few years ago. I love it and downloaded it to a flashdrive that I play in my car. Perhaps it was you who posted it originally?
Back in the day, Moto Guzzi's were real good bikes as well.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add Douglas Dragonfly flat twin, Ariel four square (?) and of course, the BMW flat twin. One day I am going to the Isle of Man TT, but meanwhile I have a DVD of one of the year's races.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Velocette Venom with Brooklands silencer; Matchless G-80; Triumph T120 TT Special, AJS; BSA Gold Star and my BMW R1200R.

Posts: 380 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote