THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    A durable high use convertible - anything like that
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A durable high use convertible - anything like that
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
I had a Honda S2000 for a few years. It's one of the best handling cars you can buy at any price and is built like a Japanese watch. Mine was new at the time, but now they're not being made anymore. You could pick up a minty one at a pretty good price. For a goofing around car that doesn't look to showy, you can't do better.

+1

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Get the Vette Mike!

The red convertible vette I texted you does look nice.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought that the S2000's didn't develop serious power until they reached higher rpm's. Is that true? I don;t really want to drive around town at 5K rpm all the time!
Agree with the vette suggestion. Used ones seem to go for a very reasonable price
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I thought that the S2000's didn't develop serious power until they reached higher rpm's. Is that true? I don;t really want to drive around town at 5K rpm all the time!

Peter

Actually, it's closer to 6200 rpm on the first gen models! That's when the VTEC cam lobe kicks in and it wails until the 9k redline. Yes, you have to drive it like a sports car if you want the peak performance out of it, BUT that's part of the appeal. When you're just cruising around town, you can drive it like a Civic. It's not loud, it's smooth. Same goes for the highway. When you hit a nice mountain road or you want to open it up a little, you can drop a few gears and have some fun. The handling and gearbox alone are worth it. In the familiar company on this forum, the shifting is like working the bolt on a Mannlicher rifle. It's that smooth and direct. No rubbery BS feel here.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Clayman. So, How long do they last? I am not sure I want to buy a used one that has been driven around at 6200 rpm! I still see a few around.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I had mine for 2 1/2 years as a daily driver and had absolutely no issues with it. No squeaks, leaks rattles, whatever. These are top of the line Hondas, assembled in Japan by premier techs. You don't see a lot of them because they didn't sell a lot of them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a lower-mileage late model and be totally happy. I forget when they stopped making them, but buy one from a responsible, adult owner. You should be good.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a tall man I'd vote for the 'vette. Maintenance would be much simpler and cheaper.

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Most any one owner, late model Mercedes-Benz convertible with the 3.5 liter V-6 with low miles should make you happy if you know of a honest mechanic that will do the maintenance for you at a good price after the warranty runs out.

Benz dealers charge over $100 an hour and most everyone I had visited in the last 5-6 years (around 50,000 miles on the clock) tried to sell me unwanted/ unnecessary work. So, finding an honest guy to do the maintenance is important if you don't know enough about cars to tell which is BS and what work is really needed.

A big plus for Benz's is that no matter how old it is, you get a free low miles loaner (last loaner had 682 miles on it) delivered right to your door for any work performed over 2 hours. Durability for us has been above average for our cars with the 3.5 engine.

FYI. The newer 4 cylinder turbo's probably have a dead spot at low rpm's. My Wife's 2012 4 cylinder turbo did have a dead spot at off-idle unless you press the sport button. Same with BMW's and others. Lots of modern cars shut off at a stop light too.

Florida should have a good selection of low mileage one owner ragtop Benz's.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I already own a Mercedes E-class sedan, but if I wanted a ragtop I would definitely consider the E-class cabriolet. The AMG big engine option would give you stoplight to stoplight punch.

Too bad the diesel engine options aren't an option in the US. In Europe the Mercedes diesels seem to last forever. Low revs, lower operating temperatures, better mileage, diesels can be the right choice for longevity.

" Work as if you'll live to 100, live as if you are going to die tomorrow." Paul Bocuse

This quote is so wrong it's not worthy of a detailed debate.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
So,,,,, what did you buy Mike?
Florida is Mercedes central for low milers.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I already own a Mercedes E-class sedan, but if I wanted a ragtop I would definitely consider the E-class cabriolet. The AMG big engine option would give you stoplight to stoplight punch.

Too bad the diesel engine options aren't an option in the US. In Europe the Mercedes diesels seem to last forever. Low revs, lower operating temperatures, better mileage, diesels can be the right choice for longevity.

" Work as if you'll live to 100, live as if you are going to die tomorrow." Paul Bocuse

This quote is so wrong it's not worthy of a detailed debate.

Do not despair, I changed my quote to something more debatable.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
What Wink? No SL550 on the horizon? I don't think the SL's get much better than the 2007-2008 models.
Somebody please buy this so I'm not tempted.

1 owner creampuff.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
A little out of my zip code, but it sure looks nice. I wonder how much it will sell for.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Should go for at least 27,000. Needs more flash to go over that. Deep red over tan leather and black over red leather seem to bring the most money.
But, leather seats are big plus. Most Benz's were sold with vinyl seats not leather.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

Nothing

I am buried in personal family stuff and flying 1/2 way around the world on a bi-weekly basis.

The sl550 you linked is about perfect.

I wish I knew a good local mb mechanic - this car is great value.

Mike

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
My self I lean tward a Old Buick limited. A 1958 model is a thing of beauty.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=...ust=1529757643964613

This one is selling for a mear $145,000.00 but the owner is willing to dicker a bit.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I guess you would have a bit of a drive for the MB places at Melbourne and S. Orlando and they may or may not want to bring you a loaner car.

Best advice I can give you is to ask other Benz drivers you see around town where they take their car for service. Whether they are at a gas station, mall, restaurant or whatever, nothing beats talking to an actual owner. Don't forget to say Thanks.

A good conversation starter is to smile and say nice car. How do you like it? Anyone in town that knows how to service them?

quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Nothing

I am buried in personal family stuff and flying 1/2 way around the world on a bi-weekly basis.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would you pay for the car ?

Thanks

Mike

quote:
I guess you would have a bit of a drive for the MB places at Melbourne and S. Orlando and they may or may not want to bring you a loaner car.

Best advice I can give you is to ask other Benz drivers you see around town where they take their car for service. Whether they are at a gas station, mall, restaurant or whatever, nothing beats talking to an actual owner. Don't forget to say Thanks.

A good conversation starter is to smile and say nice car. How do you like it? Anyone in town that knows how to service them?

quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Nothing

Mike

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well, if it looks like brand spankin' new all around then I'd try to buy it at $30K. But, if you really like it that much, don't lose it for a grand or two.

If you can't go and see it in person, then the next best thing to do is to pay some pre-purchase inspection service to check it over and send you an email report which usually includes several dozen pictures. I think I paid $190 or so and it saved my butt on a car from Ohio that had body damage that wasn't revealed in the auction listing.
I used Lemon Squad. If you go to their website and put in the zip code where the car is located you can see if they have someone in that area to check it out. It was money well spent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1: 2013 427 convertible. Manual only. Only year they made the 427 small block in a convertible. Awesome motor.. Semi collector car.Fast and reliable. I own a 2013 Z06 427. A hoot to drive! 27 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH.
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Get the Vette Mike!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote