Find
Notify
Tools

Jaguar XJS HE V-12...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
The old Cuda is a endless classic. Packing a bit of punch under the hood, I like it. Great taste on your part.
My two classics at the house are by no means barn burners. The fastest ones I have are the '06 GTO, which is pushing 520hp to the wheels, and the '03 350z, which I did a LS1 swap and it's pushing 438hp out of it's little 3,000lb body. I think for pure fun that little 350z is uncomparable.
The next ones on the list is attempting a twin turbo LSX '02 Trans Am, and the wife has an itch for a '68 chevelle which we agreed to shoehorn a Merlin 665 into. This is after we sell the Camaros.
Honestly I hope this forum doesn't get tainted by whiners and those whom cannot appreciate the smell of burnt rubber.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And BTW, that overweight, red Jeep fits in perfectly with the title of the forum and if you doubt it, you might like to look up the generally accepted definition of classic car. Just to make it easy for you, I'll tell you that it's usually considered to be between 20-45 years old.

Sorry Mr Metal. By Steve's above definition none of yours makes the grade of classic. There's only one singular criteria to any motor vehicle from attaining the classic status and that is how many years has it survived since its manufacture. The authority has spoken and it's 20-45 years. Nothing less and nothing more.

So, by those standards, someone could attain the vaunted 'classic' status starting in year 20, then continuing on for 25 consecutive years, until year 46. Then your kicked out on your ass. No longer a classic cause your too damn old. That's a fine howdy-ya-do!

I would have thought, once a classic, always a classic. But what do I know?

Does anyone else NOT buy that definition? What about having a hopped up engine and being able to go fast, albeit in a straight line? I heard THAT was what made up a classic. Or does that only work for Whit cause his car fits the criteria? That's awful convenient, don't you agree?

So my Intertrashional fits right in. It's born on date is 24, and I can burn all kinds of 1100:22.5 rubber if I elevate the king pin and lock the trailer brakes...lots of going nowhere fast.

I know a little about streetrods. I used to have a '34 Ford 2 door sedan. I sold it for enough $$$ to finance my senior year at Penn State. Anyway, the criteria for becoming a bona fide street rod is that it be of the 1948 model year or older. It's all about the styling. So you won't find any '66 GTO streetrods. No matter how much the guy who owns one wants to belong to the NSRA. Seems those guys are pretty strict who gets in and who stays on the outside looking in.

Apparently here on AR anything goes. Even a '58 Edsel. fishing

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Actually Einstein, the generally accepted (note those words) definition of classic car is 20-45 years old and older than 45 years old the generally accepted definition is antique car. Oh and incidentally, the generally accepted definition of a modern classic is 15-20 years old.

Incidentally, whilst those definitions are generally accepted I actually took the definitions from the Classic Car Club of America and the Antique Automobile Club of America. (hope that's good enough for you!)

As I said, I think the intent of the forum is more for all petrolheads or in American, gearheads to discuss any vehicle they're passionate about...... but if you disagree with that, why not take it up with the owner of the forum.

I really don't see why you have such a problem with this. If you disapprove of a topic, just don't post on it. Roll Eyes

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Actually Einstein, the generally accepted (note those words) definition of classic car is 20-45 years old and older than 45 years old the generally accepted definition is antique car. Oh and incidentally, the generally accepted definition of a modern classic is 15-20 years old.

Incidentally, whilst those definitions are generally accepted I actually took the definitions from the Classic Car Club of America and the Antique Automobile Club of America. (hope that's good enough for you!)

As I said, I think the intent of the forum is more for all petrolheads or in American, gearheads to discuss any vehicle they're passionate about...... but if you disagree with that, why not take it up with the owner of the forum.

I really don't see why you have such a problem with this. If you disapprove of a topic, just don't post on it. Roll Eyes

Couldn't agree more. Dave, why do you seem like such a malcontent? As long as everyone (save for you apparently) is having a good time with this forum, I think it is a success. I'm not much into motorcycles at this point in my life, so I don't post on the motorcycle thread. Simple. Does it bother me? No. Why should it?

Seems to me that if you don't like what you see here, move on.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

would you consider just letting it go? You have made the point that you're an unhappy person, and envious of anyone with a nice, fun car to drive.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Huh? So a '69 and '71 Camaro aren't classics? I've been lied to my whole life. Same with the chevelle. As well, some may disagree but the GTO, no matter how against the original it is, bears the name after a 40 year hiatus. I would think that's a modern classic. Steve posted my pictures on the American muscle thread if you're still confused.
Jeeps have been around longer than Moses parted the red sea, and have served militaries from everywhere, in one shape or another. And...that's not a classic?
The Jags are quite a classic, as the Brits make a good car. It's no Mona Lisa, but it certainly doesn't fit the profile of a Ford Festiva. In their own respect, they are quite a classic.
Do we need guidelines to avoid random douche spurts from coming out? Next thing Shootaway's going to be posting here that he has a Miata with a Bugatti quad turbo W-16 in it pulling quarter miles in 2 seconds.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Metalsmith:Next thing Shootaway's going to be posting here that he has a Miata with a Bugatti quad turbo W-16 in it pulling quarter miles in 2 seconds.

Hey, I'd like to see that! Big Grin

Metalsmith, put up some pictures! Let's see 'em! Classics most definitely!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Metalsmith:
Huh? So a '69 and '71 Camaro aren't classics? Same with the chevelle. As well, some may disagree but the GTO...

Steve said as long as it's between 20-45 years old, it's a classic. Nothing else matters, least of which is its styling.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by The Metalsmith:
Huh? So a '69 and '71 Camaro aren't classics? Same with the chevelle. As well, some may disagree but the GTO...

Steve said as long as it's between 20-45 years old, it's a classic. Nothing else matters, least of which is its styling.

Actually, I quoted the generally accepted definitions of modern classic, classic and antique cars. The reason I did that was because your previous comments proved you had no idea whatsoever what a classic car was.

Style of car doesn't come into those definitions. Put it another way, we all have individual taste and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You mentioned the Edsel, which to me is a fugly thing but I have no doubt there are Edsel owners clubs out there and there's no doubt that even if most people dislike 'em, they do fall into the catagory of classic cars.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Then you and I shall continue to differ.

I had no idea there are subsets of classic. Is there one named fugly classics? How about dopey looking classics? How about ones that are more agricultural than automotive?

I

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Dave,

would you consider just letting it go? You have made the point that you're an unhappy person, and envious of anyone with a nice, fun car to drive.

Rich

I envy no one. That would be a sin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually Einstein...

whilst those definitions are generally accepted I actually took the definitions from the Classic Car Club of America and the Antique Automobile Club of America. (hope that's good enough for you!)

Well, the plot thickens...

Here is the LINK to every auto entitled to 'classic' status by the very organization Steve quoted from. Sure seems totally different than the simpleton 20-45 years he stated. I wonder why? And guess what, JEEP ain't on the list!!!!!

Spin your way out of this gaffe, Einstein. (I apologize to everyone else for sinking to his grade school level.)

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Well, the plot thickens...

Here is the LINK to every auto entitled to 'classic' status by the very organization Steve quoted from. Sure seems totally different than the simpleton 20-45 years he stated. I wonder why? And guess what, JEEP ain't on the list!!!!!

Spin your way out of this gaffe, Einstein. (I apologize to everyone else for sinking to his grade school level.)

Actually Einstein, I didn't mention a particular web page and the internet has BILLIONS of pages.

I suggest you consult that nice Mr Google and ask him the definition of a classic car. Roll Eyes

However, let's just spend a moment or two to examine the Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee:

Made from 63-91. The longest production run ever.

1st luxury 4x4. (despite the Range Rover claims)

1st auto 4x4

No end of firsts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wagoneer

You remind me of my first wife. She also took the attitude that her opinion was the only opinion that could ever possibly be right. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually Einstein, I didn't mention a particular web page and the internet has BILLIONS of pages.

I suggest you consult that nice Mr Google and ask him the definition of a classic car.

I don't have to. You pointed us all to the authority.

So, let's refresh...you quoted the
quote:
Classic Car Club of America.
I went to their webpage HERE IT IS AGAIN and found that you didn't quote them at all. You made it all up. Now you're back-pedaling and trying to trump up the attributes of mama's grocery getter. Nice try Einstein.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ho hum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_car Roll Eyes

Sorry to disappoint you that I didn't have a grand master plan to take over the world and fool you by making up a generally accepted definition.

If you try doing a simple Google search on the term 'definition of classic car', you'll find plenty of sites that quote the same or similar sources and definitions.

Strewth, what a plonker! Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping yuck animal animal knife rotflmo I think we have a troll amongst use donttroll

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
does anyone know what the definition of IT is????? animal

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
donttroll

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote