Notify
Tools

Jaguar XJS HE V-12...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
High-performance is high-performance, no matter what the packaging IMHO.

I beg to differ. This forum is not titled 'High Performance.' So the packaging DOES, in fact, matter. If I stick a rat motor in my John Deere does that automatically make it fit for this forum? Rhetorical question but I'll answer it: Hell NO!

Just because any auto reaches 25 years and is normally considered an antique, that benchmark alone does not qualify it as a classic. I have always thought the definition of classic would mean it had almost universal enduring appeal and affection. Sorry but just because it's in good condition, more than 25 years old or no longer made does not make any car a classic.

Style makes it classic. A 2-seat E type Jag is a classic. The 4-seat is NOT. And any auto with more than 2 seats is NOT a sports car. Mustangs and Camaros are sporty, but not sports cars.

Next thing you'll be letting THIS THING into the forum!!!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
High-performance is high-performance, no matter what the packaging IMHO.

I beg to differ. This forum is not titled 'High Performance.' So the packaging DOES, in fact, matter. If I stick a rat motor in my John Deere does that automatically make it fit for this forum? Rhetorical question but I'll answer it: Hell NO!

Just because any auto reaches 25 years and is normally considered an antique, that benchmark alone does not qualify it as a classic. I have always thought the definition of classic would mean it had almost universal enduring appeal and affection. Sorry but just because it's in good condition, more than 25 years old or no longer made does not make any car a classic.

Style makes it classic. A 2-seat E type Jag is a classic. The 4-seat is NOT. And any auto with more than 2 seats is NOT a sports car. Mustangs and Camaros are sporty, but not sports cars.

Next thing you'll be letting THIS THING into the forum!!!

Making friends again, huh Dave? So you are basically for limiting this forum to sports cars. How boring. For me, if it goes, it's interesting. Some folks like Corvettes, others see them as representing balding, softening, older men with mid-life crisis. Personally, I think they are a performance bargain in this day and age. We all differ on that front. A true enthusiast can appreciate a wide range of high-performance automobiles and not look down their noses at others.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you are basically for limiting this forum to sports cars. How boring.

Wherever did you glean that idea? I never said anything of the kind. Did you graduate from the Jeff Smith school of putting words in other people's mouths?

Here is my view in a nutshell: the forum title says classic & sports cars . That Jag boat with a rat motor abomination belongs somewhere else. Where is the freaks of automotive engineering forum when you really need one?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:Wherever did you glean that idea? I never said anything of the kind. Did you graduate from the Jeff Smith school of putting words in other people's mouths?

Here is my view in a nutshell: the forum title says classic & sports cars . That Jag boat with a rat motor abomination belongs somewhere else. Where is the freaks of automotive engineering forum when you really need one?

Freak, or engineering feat? I'll bet the person who swapped the big-block in there performed some pretty crafty fabricating. The very essence of high-performance is putting a larger engine where the original resided.

I am nothing like Jeff Smith (I assume you are referring the magazine editor -- unless you are talking about the moderator, Jeff Smith), but I do know him (the editor) and I did work for him once upon a time.

Now, who is going to decide what qualifies as a classic and what doesn't? Are we going to abide by your narrow definition?

Also, why would it bother you that someone posts a different idea of a "classic" than yours? No one is forcing you to read, post, or even look at these threads.

Lighten up, Dave. Life is too short to get worked up over something insignificant like this.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dave,

So you don't like it then? rotflmo

As I see it, Saeed owns the forum and if he's happy for the car to remain there then that's an end to it.

I don't know what year it is but I'd guess it falls into the catagory of classic and even if doesn't, what the hell..... if we kept strictly to the title of the forum, we'd never discuss motorcycles either and I don't remember any bleats about a few bikes coming up for discussion. Smiler

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Dave,

So you don't like it then? rotflmo

As I see it, Saeed owns the forum and if he's happy for the car to remain there then that's an end to it.

I don't know what year it is but I'd guess it falls into the catagory of classic and even if doesn't, what the hell..... if we kept strictly to the title of the forum, we'd never discuss motorcycles either and I don't remember any bleats about a few bikes coming up for discussion. Smiler

Thank you. My exact sentiments.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the guy had left the hood down you would have been good to go, eh?

Where's the picture of yours?

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Dave probably drives a prius

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Where's the picture of yours?

1987 Navistar International model 1955 with a 1996 Transcraft Eagle flatbed in tow. I can't decide, for the purposes of this forum, whether it's a sports car or a classic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you ain't a real trucker, nor is your truck if it ain't got a sleeper. That looks like an overgrown delivery truck.

We all determine our own capabilities and purchasing power...

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
you ain't a real trucker, nor is your truck if it ain't got a sleeper. That looks like an overgrown delivery truck.

Right on all counts. Perhaps it would better fit in the spirit of this 'classic & sports cars' forum if I yanked out the DT466 diesel and dropped in the punched out 454 I have laying around?
Would my rig qualify then?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Get a life mate.

As I see it, this forum is for petrolheads. Whether a car or a motorcycle is a sports car, saloon, classic, old, vintage or even new isn't important.

If you don't like a particular vehicle, say so and discuss by any means but you don't own the forum and you don't make the rules........ Saeed does and I'm sure that if he thinks a vehicle doesn't fit the profile, then he'll say so or possibly even remove it.

Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pondoro,

Congratulations on getting that handsome Jaguar. While I have owned two seaters the performance cars I liked best were and are larger like yours. Enjoy.

Hope you get a chuckle from my story.

We were in high school when the Jaguar XKE's came out. They were a sensation. I borrowed my dads car and we went up to Hartford, CT to see one at the dealers there.

Of course we had no money of our own.

You can imagine the look on the dealers face as we roamed around his new Jaguar. We did not get into it however.......

Eeker

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:Perhaps it would better fit in the spirit of this 'classic & sports cars' forum if I yanked out the DT466 diesel and dropped in the punched out 454 I have laying around?
Would my rig qualify then?

If it'll then turn a low-twelve in the quarter mile or thereabouts, or haul freight at 150 mph, then I would say absolutely! Big Grin

As Kevin pointed out, this is a forum for gear-heads, plain and simple. Why limit the scope if folks are enthusiastic and enjoying themselves?

You ultimately have the choice to post or not to post......

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If it'll then turn a low-twelve in the quarter mile or thereabouts, or haul freight at 150 mph, then I would say absolutely! Big Grin

As Kevin pointed out, this is a forum for gear-heads, plain and simple. Why limit the scope if folks are enthusiastic and enjoying themselves?

You ultimately have the choice to post or not to post......

Kevin who? Since when did he determine what is appropriate in this forum? If it were for 'gear-heads, plain and simple,' then that's what the title would be. But it doesn't. I don't see folks posting their 338 win mag load recipes in the shotgunning forum. But it's OK to post a 4 door land yacht here. Next thing ya know they'll be an overweight, red Jeep here too. Yeah, that's classic!

I guess the analogy would be that .375 caliber guns fit into the bigbore category. Here, but nowhere else. Cause Saeed said so. I can abide by that decision on his site. But he also named this one. If anything goes were his intentions he would have named it so. But he didn't.

I posted my photo Whitworth. Where's yours? And ISS too.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since when did he determine what is appropriate in this forum? .

Or more to the point, since when did you determine what is appropriate in this forum? rotflmo

And BTW, that overweight, red Jeep fits in perfectly with the title of the forum and if you doubt it, you might like to look up the generally accepted definition of classic car. Roll Eyes Just to make it easy for you, I'll tell you that it's usually considered to be between 20-45 years old. The Jeep is 30 years, 8 months and 22 days old.

Jeez, I've come across a lot of arrogant, self opinionated people in my time but you just about take the cake. Roll Eyes

You might like to pour yourself a large glass of relaxative and chill out a bit.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I posted my photo Whitworth. Where's yours? And ISS too.

I meant Steve, not Kevin (sorry Steve).....

I posted a photo of the one toy I have left in another thread here, but I will do it again.

1968 Plymouth Barracuda convertible -- slightly modified by me, and in the trim of this photo it was running in the low-tens and street driven. The little 340 (actually .020-over making it 346 cubic inches) made right around 650 horsepower at the crank and about 530 horses at the wheels if I can recall correctly. Nope, not a sportscar, but definietly a classic to some and perhaps many.

I would show you pictures of my 160-mph four-door cop car, but it won't fit your definition of "classic." Maybe Steve will want to see it..... Big Grin By the way, love the Jeep.....

Now show us yours.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Whitworth,

No problem buddy.

Yeah, get the cop car up. If it's got wheels, it's good enough for me!

Glad you like the Jeep. I love it to bits but am thinking of selling it because of the spares situation here...... I've just been quoted about US$250 for a brake master cylinder and that really pisses me off!

Still, I've been after a classic Mercedes SL or SLC for a while.......

Anyway, I wasn't aware ownership of a classic or sports car was a requirement to post here..... I thought that just an interest in such matters was sufficient. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

stick it in and post at least one photo with the smoke boiling off the back tires and all is forgiven...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you had to hope this would be one forum with no dickhead posters. Was it too much to ask for?

Steve, I got some decent pictures of the XK-8, will send them asap.

I have a 24-stud flathead out of a '54 Merc. I was thinking about a transplant into the Jag.

Rich