New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jaguar XJS HE V-12...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got one this summer, -82 in nice condition...love the purrr of the V-12.. Wink

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Now all you need is a little nitrous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoxEis_Y7F0

Posts: 3235 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing sings quite like a good tuned V-12.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Not very easy to maintain and keep in tune but they do sound bloody fantastic.......... BUT WHERE'S THE PICTURES!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of any British build cars purring unless there was a stray cat hiding in it some place sofa animal

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
I have never heard of any British build cars purring unless there was a stray cat hiding in it some place sofa animal

Yes mate, but that's only because you're a deaf old bastard! rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I maybe deaf but at least I can still hear well enough to hear the sound of a cat when someone steps on it's tail. and we all know thats what most brit built cars sound like rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Eish but you can be hurtful sometimes! rotflmo

C'mon, some Brit engines make such unique sounds you just have to love 'em.

Jag V12s

Ariel square 4s

BSA RGSs

Norton Commandos

Then again, nothing sounds as good to me as the AMC 5.7 V8 in my Jeep so the yanks don't do too bad either! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
metal grinning on metal or springs breaking is not unique it's painful not to mention having to own a oil well to keep up with the leaks rotflmo Big Grin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the oil leaks are a problem but not a problem that's restricted to Brit engines.

Look at the Jeeps Wagoneers/Cherokees etc. The model ran for umpteen years and in fact it's the longest ever production run of any car.......but it never occurred to any bastard that putting a 12 x 12 plate that covers a needless oil filter in the bottom of the gearbox might not be the best idea in the world! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Chevy's V-8's, if it's not leaking a little oil at least, than something's wrong. Definitly not Brit specific.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
engine music, some are tone deaf...
A friend is service manager at the VW/Audi dealer. He called me a couple months ago on a Friday, to ask what I was doing the next morning.
He tells me they have an R8. "Qualified Customers" might be able to take a short test drive. Would I bring the Jag over about ten am with the top down? Yesssssssss.
I get there and he and the GM are out front having a cigarette. John introduces us and the guy assumes I am there to consider an upgrade. He actually let us take the car out for a short test drive. There's this V-10 about eighteen inches behind my head, at eight-thousand RPM it has a sound that just howls...
We get back, the guy inspects the car, and asks what I think. I tell him very nice car, but I am just a hopeless romantic and will wait to see the roadster version next spring.

They do have a sound...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaguars do not leak oil, they are just marking their territory.... Big Grin

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swap that v12 for a Big Block Chevy

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So tell me, does this Jaguar XJS HE V-12 fall into either the classic or sports car category required for this forum?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the same cache as a Shelby Cobra.

Was that a JTR (Jaguars That Run) conversion?

Rich

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
So tell me, does this Jaguar XJS HE V-12 fall into either the classic or sports car category required for this forum?

If it hauls the mail, it certainly does!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

You've got to be kidding? This 4 door land yacht in the same category as Shelby's magnum-powered roller skate? HA! You must be blinded by the light cause you own one.

What's next, Iacocca's mini van?

This forum just opened and already it's being polluted by wanna-be's.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can probably pick up a XJS HE for under $10K in reasonable shape. I would hate to think what you would have to pay for an "original" Shebly cobra in reasonable shape?
I would not own either. Too much maintenance. Just give me a SL63 AMG or perhaps a Z8. Nice fast roadsters!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

You've got to be kidding? This 4 door land yacht in the same category as Shelby's magnum-powered roller skate? HA! You must be blinded by the light cause you own one.

What's next, Iacocca's mini van?

This forum just opened and already it's being polluted by wanna-be's.

Obviously it doesn't have the same cache as a Cobra, but I have owned and built plenty of sleepers that would suck the paint off of many high-performance 2-doors. Should they not be included in this forum because they have more than two doors? That Jag has a rat motor in it, can that be denied? Nothing more satisfying than beating up on an expensive image-mobile in a pedestrian looking grocery-getter.

I ran the Silver State Classic (in Nevada) open road race (92 mile race) a number of years ago in a four-door ex-cop car. I finished at the top with a handful of C-5 Corvettes (we all finished within a couple of tenths of one another). More than one of them approached me after the race scratching their heads. High-performance is high-performance, no matter what the packaging IMHO.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote